`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why dont we have great soccer cards from the best leagues?

RE: Why dont we have great soccer cards from the best leagues?
(09-05-2011, 11:22 PM)ManuGinobili Wrote: I mean, wouldnt it be sick if you pull an autograped Messi card?

Why is it that we dont have such thing?

I mean, soccer is the most popular sport and Im sure it would be an enormous business.

So why we have MLS cards and sometimes when the World Cup is being played we have some cards but not anually and from the different leagues like La Liga, Calcio, Premier League, etc?

To me this is a very interesting question which I've pondered as well especially since soccer's my favorite sport by far.

As for current sets, there already are cards released in Europe every year for the Premiership, Spanish Liga, Serie A, etc, but they're mostly TCG's (trading card games) aimed at kids. Nothing like you what you would expect from an NBA/MLB/NFL product. This is probably because there isn't much of a card collecting culture in Europe compared to here in North America, especially for high end cards. Over there soccer stickers are the more traditional collectible and Panini makes HUGE profits off those, low production cost + very good sales = $ and lot's of it.

Back in the early to mid 2000's Panini, Topps, and Upper Deck (UD even wanted to make a Real Madrid product but unfortunately it wasn't to be) did releas higher end collections with autographs and memorabilia cards of English, Spanish, Italian teams but they were mainly for the Japanese and to a lesser extent British markets. Fortunately it seems like these cards are making a comeback as both Panini and Topps have put out recent products with autos, jerseys and such, I just wish they were easier to get here in the States...

(09-06-2011, 02:06 AM)arod0770710 Wrote: I am a huge soccer fan...but hate to say it...the only place you will find a Messi autos is in Europe Panini products...they have sick cards and the autos are pretty expensive...i would love to own one but like I said to freaking expensive...

As to soccer being the most popular sport...true indeed...its popular all over the world except the U.S....LOL!!! I think the market here for such cards would be limited...that is why Panini and Futera sell alot in Europe...

Actually Messi doesn't have any certified autograph cards anywhere, not here and not in Europe either. Hopefully that will change though.
BTW anyone hear of that newly announced UD high end soccer product? Apparently it's going to be released soon.

It will probably be just MLS and women's soccer but here's hoping for some Worldwide stars like Messi, Xavi, Cristiano, Rooney, "Chicharito", etc.
Check out my "bucket" for trades: https://picasaweb.google.com/10336593618...rSaleTrade

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why dont we have great soccer cards from the best leagues? - by futbolcards - 09-25-2011, 03:55 AM