`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

Chris,$0$0$0$0I was looking around the internet about possibly purchasing a box of 2001 Bowman Chrome, but have also seen that there was a deadline (June 30, 2003) to redeem certain inserted cards (i.e. Albert Pujols Rookie Auto). So my questions are: Is there still a way to redeem a special insert if one is to be found in a pack? What does Topps/Bowman do if a redemption card is sent in past the redemption deadline? And what happens to all those non-redeemed cards of theirs if they don't honor the redemption past the deadline? $0$0$0$0$0If there isn't a way to redeem an insert, then what is the point in paying over $600 for a box when the very best cards can't be had?$0$0$0$0$0Thanks for your help and time.$0$0$0$0$0Jeff$0

zelman7 Wrote:Chris,$0$0$0$0I was looking around the internet about possibly purchasing a box of 2001 Bowman Chrome, but have also seen that there was a deadline (June 30, 2003) to redeem certain inserted cards (i.e. Albert Pujols Rookie Auto). So my questions are: Is there still a way to redeem a special insert if one is to be found in a pack? What does Topps/Bowman do if a redemption card is sent in past the redemption deadline? And what happens to all those non-redeemed cards of theirs if they don't honor the redemption past the deadline? $0$0$0$0$0If there isn't a way to redeem an insert, then what is the point in paying over $600 for a box when the very best cards can't be had?$0$0$0$0$0Thanks for your help and time.$0$0$0$0$0Jeff$0

Pujols was a redemption, which has expired. Once redemptions expire, Topps (or any other company) has full right to do whatever it wants with the leftover cards -- use them as replacements for other unavailable cards, give them away, sell them, destroy them, etc. (It's the company's property.)
The reason dealers put that kind of a pricetag on the 2001 Chrome boxes is because they can -- too many people blindly buy not realizing Pujols was a redemption.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

hometownhero Wrote:hey chris i was just looking at the feb monthly looking at the T-206 and it says that the framed piedmont relic cards are 1:71 but i know for a fact that you get at least 1 maybe two per box and then it state that old mill are 1:105 and have .4x- 1x how is this? i understand that it this way with base & rookie cards some times, but with inserts i was under the impression that if they are harder pulls they have greater value except as i stated above. can you explaine this so it's more clear thanks chuck

That piece was examining retail odds for that product, not hobby.
As for values of those minis, the scarcity should play a part in the relative values but sometimes the market doesn't act that way. (For example in some Bowman Chrome sets certain colors of Refractors sell better than rarer ones simply because they're often more visually appealing.)
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

chrisolds Wrote:
CUBuffs13 Wrote:I noticed recently that Gary Sheffield was included in the continuation of Upper Deck's 500 Home Run Club set and was wondering why no cards were ever produced for Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez.
$0$0Quick answer: I believe it's because they have/had deals with Topps.$0
$0$0$0$0$0Why not produce one now of Arod? They have started including several patches and GU in the last 2 years.$0

Hi hope is all right to pm you...how do you search the discussion boards? I made a post on a Drabek post, but can't find it....is there a way to search for my post or for posts of a players name?
thanks Bob
Looking for ...
1)autos of Gwynn, Headley, Venable, as well as Chargers... Gates, and Rivers.
2) autos/gu'd of Baldelli, Zobrist, rare Red Soxs
3) HOF autos, game-used and #<50

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/gwynn_fan/

Hey Chris, I just pulled a Jason Heyward 2007 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor (1/5). The card is beautiful and flawless in every way - corners, surface, edges, etc. However, I noticed the bottom of the card - near the serial number - is problematic. The film of the card is peeling. Is this common with refractors, or does this mean that my card is virtually worthless? Or is this a Topps/Bowman manufacturing problem? Could I get them to replace the card? I've never pulled a better card in my life. It was just a shame to see what appears to be a production problem. Thanks again for your help and time. Sincerely, Jeff.

chris i think you not understanding my ? look at the Feb monthly new listing for T-206 baseball and you will see my question and somtimes what you say can be true, in this case but this usually is the case for base cards i am talking about the encased relics, my bad for not explaining this thanks chuck "whats on second"

Hi Chris,

I just wanted to let you know of yet another variation in 2010 Topps series one.
Apparently there are two versions of Melvin Mora's card which is #13 in the set.
I have 11 copies of this card, and one of them has Adam Jones photo on the reverse.
The top card in the scan has the Jones photo.
If you can find out any additional info on this card, I would greatly appreciate it.

Tim

[Image: 2010ToppsMMora20001.jpg]

I have a Fleer Yankees Clippings jersey card of Thurman Munson. Itseems to be about an eighth of an inch smaller than the other cardsfrom the set. Is this normal? I heard somewhere that most of the Munsoncards were printed and cut improperly and that most of this card isthis way. Just wondering if that is true, or do I just have a badly cutcard. Thanks in advace.

Tried adding a new card to my collection and can't find it anywhere. It is 2008 UD Masterpieces Strokes of Genius Tulowitzki Auto. The 2007 is listed but the 2008 isn't.