Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

Hi Chris,

I was wondering if you have published any articles about redemption cards. I would like to know if any of the companies are doing anything to stop this or if this is something that we can <sarcasm> look forward to for many more years </sarcasm>.

Also maybe an article about how the player signing cards actually work. Like are their contracts, do they just mail a stack of cards and hope the player signs them, do they have collection companies call the player to get them to return the cards, etc. Maybe like a step by step to show why their are redemptions.

Just a couple of ideas, and if you have already done this, could provide a link? I would like to read about it.

Thanks.

Chris: I have alot of cards and am just now trying to organize them and price them on Beckett.
I found 4 cards that I cannot find pictures of to determine their value. They are Baseball Immortals with signatures Kelly #138, Sewell #163, Ford #144 and Grimes #97. The price stickers on the card holders vary from $ 22.50 to $60.00. I cannot find when or who made these cards or when they were released.
Can you help
Ron

iujapander Wrote:Hi Chris,

I was wondering if you have published any articles about redemption cards. I would like to know if any of the companies are doing anything to stop this or if this is something that we can <sarcasm> look forward to for many more years </sarcasm>.

Also maybe an article about how the player signing cards actually work. Like are their contracts, do they just mail a stack of cards and hope the player signs them, do they have collection companies call the player to get them to return the cards, etc. Maybe like a step by step to show why their are redemptions.

Just a couple of ideas, and if you have already done this, could provide a link? I would like to read about it.

Thanks.

Beckett has published stories on redemptions in the past -- in fact the first BSCM had an item on them.
The routine varies by manufacturer as do the reasons for why they happen. Deadlines, injuries, changes, athletes not signing, cards lost or misplaced, etc.

Honestly, you wouldn't believe some of the stories out there -- and some of the reasons why sticker autographs help save money and headaches for collectors. One of my favorites is the player who signed all his cards at the beach and tossed the cards in the towel as he signed. How were they sent back? he boxed it up (towel and all) to return them. Needless to say there were plenty of cards that went directly to the shredder.

Then there's another where the player really, really liked his 1/1 patch card ... and held onto it ...

And so on.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

rnoreen Wrote:Chris: I have alot of cards and am just now trying to organize them and price them on Beckett.
I found 4 cards that I cannot find pictures of to determine their value. They are Baseball Immortals with signatures Kelly #138, Sewell #163, Ford #144 and Grimes #97. The price stickers on the card holders vary from $ 22.50 to $60.00. I cannot find when or who made these cards or when they were released.
Can you help

Check this link: 1980-87 SSPC HOF
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

I recently purchased a box of SP Authentic frome a card shop amd got 3 great autograph cards from the box.

no not the Jeter buyback but the 1st one was just as good in my opinion.

It was the "by the letter" Deric Jeter autograph card #06/20. it has a gold foil boarder around the patch.

My question is this, is this a gold version of the card? mainly because i got the Pablo Sandaval "by the letter" autograph card as the 2nd pull on the auto's and it has a silver boarder around the patch and is numbered #11/28.

any help would be appreciated.

RiceLynnEvans75 Wrote:
chrisolds Wrote:
RiceLynnEvans75 Wrote:
chrisolds Wrote:Beckett does track and document past sales for auctions on cards numbered to fewer than 25 copies. However, we do not publish prices for those cards because there can often be a dramatic difference from one sale to another and there's often a very low number of sales.

EBay only allows access to past auctions from the past 30 days or so. We, however, have prices going back several years.

(I don't work in pricing, otherwise I could provide more info.)

That's great and all that Beckett apparently tracks these sales but it does no good for the person above looking to get some sort of a value on his card when all he can see is a "N/A" given by Beckett.

Information like that is set to be included in a forthcoming product, hopefully sometime in late 2010.

Is there a different magazine/book in the works/discussions or is it something that would eventually just be plugged into a regular guide after enough sales have taken place on a particular card?

Anything?

i have a problem, i have 2 beckett accounts set up one with just my Graded cards by beckett and one for all my other cards. however when i log in to the one for my graded cards i see things from my other account. its like Beckett is trying to merge my 2 accounts. is that because my information is the same for both accounts just different logins and passwards.

hofcollector1975 Wrote:i have a problem, i have 2 beckett accounts set up one with just my Graded cards by beckett and one for all my other cards. however when i log in to the one for my graded cards i see things from my other account. its like Beckett is trying to merge my 2 accounts. is that because my information is the same for both accounts just different logins and passwards.

It's likely due to the same information, particularly if you have the same email address linked with both accounts and/or credit/debit card to pay for the OPG.

RiceLynnEvans75 Wrote:

Anything?

Not at this time.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

chrisolds Wrote:
RiceLynnEvans75 Wrote:

Anything?

Not at this time.

Well what is the "forthcoming product" that you mentioned then?