Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

RE: Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor
Hello,

First post here, and im not sure if this is where I should be posting this question. Anyways, Im wondering if there is anyway that you can discern how many gradings of a card of 9.5 are true 9.5's? In other words, how many of say 450 gradings of a card at 9.5 are graded subgrades of 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5 as opposed to say 9.0, 9.5, 9.5, 9.5. I know that this affects the value of the card if its a 9.5 across the board or better yet with a 10 or two 10's. I dont understand why in the registry it does not list this. This would be great information to have for anyone!! Im sure it would not be TOO much work for this as each serial number gives you the subgrades when you register them. So, what im asking is why arent the different versions of each grade listed somewheres on this site. Is this information available to subscribers? Ive never seen anyone list on Ebay or other selling sites how many of the 9.5 across the boards there are out of the 9.5 population of that card. This doesnt make much sense to me when it OBVIOUSLY affects the value of the 9.5 grade. Well, hope that makes sense and I am not asking a question thats been asked a million times already. Smile

(09-23-2009, 07:29 PM)chrisolds Wrote: <i>Here's another sticky! Just for you guys...</i>

<b>Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it. Who knows, it could end up in a future issue...</b>

I <b>don't handle pricing</b> ... that would be the "ask the senior price guide analyst" sticky thread to perhaps arrive over in the Beckett Baseball Pricing Forum.

I also <b>don't</b> handle <b>tech/site issues </b> or <b> customer service (subscriptions).</b> Please use customerservice@beckett.com.

Other than that, I'll see what I can do...

This is one of a few new things we're going to try online in terms of reader interaction projects. We're also soon going to try some multimedia projects as well.

I just purchased a Diamond Anniversary pack of cards, and as I was flipping through them I came across
This card that had an M or W or 3 written in ink, on the back of the card. My question is, does this happen often,or is there some other significant meaning.

I'd have to see the card to know what you mean.

On the graded question, I'm not sure if the graders' data entry includes subs.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

Hi Chris,
thank you for the response. Are you able to give me a little more information on this subject? I am not the type of person to attempt to sell a card and claim it as a "one of a kind" without supporting the claim. I don't want to do the opposite either and sell this card for $10 when it could be worth $500 due its rarity. Does Beckett acknowledge this rare signature variation of Travis Hafner? It seems that there are a lot of cards in the market now adays that you can't find information. If Beckett were to grade this card, would they distinguish this a unique of a kind that is separate from the normal population of this card and signature?

thank you again!!

Jrob3000

(06-14-2011, 10:09 PM)jrob3000 Wrote: Hi Chris,
not sure if i am doing this right but I have a potential trivia question for you regarding Travis Hafner autograph, 2004 Donruss Classics, Significant Signatures, numbered to 50. I believe that is the "Green" version. Anyways, I was browsing ebay and other sites to check for the potential value of this card. After awhile of looking at the various sites, i noticed that my card was different. The Travis Hafner's autograph is just "HAF" on the card. I haven't seen another one like it and i can't seem to find any information that might tell me how many cards have this version of his autograph on it.

I would be grateful if you could tell me any other details regarding this potential one of a kind. How many cards were actually signed by Travis Hafner with this version, "HAF"? Will this rarity increase the value of my card compared to others currently being sold/traded with his normal autograph/signature?

Thank you for your time!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-22-2011, 07:18 PM)chrisolds Wrote: I'd have to see the card to know what you mean.

On the graded question, I'm not sure if the graders' data entry includes subs.
When you register a card in your registry it includes the subgrades, so, doesnt that mean that they do? What do you think about that question? Do you think they should?

how many topps certified autograph of each player does topps produce each year.

Example the Harper bowman certified autograph of the plain card, how many do you think are out there in circulation. I am surprised they dont number them.

thanks

Topps doesn't disclose quantities for anything that is not numbered. Quantities will vary by player depending on their fees to sign.

(06-22-2011, 11:26 PM)cardariffic Wrote: When you register a card in your registry it includes the subgrades, so, doesnt that mean that they do? What do you think about that question? Do you think they should?
I mean that somewhere in Beckett logs, there is the information about the subgrades stored for every card ever graded by Beckett, right? So, why not use that information? Why is that information being kept from collectors? I dont understand that at all.

------------

The pop reports do not include subgrades. It very easily could have been something that was not entered into that database in the early years. If it's not from Day 1, you really can't just start doing it.

Hey Chris,

Just a quick suggestion for Beckett Online.

Weekly and or Monthly hot lists ala Beckett Magazine. That's one feature I also enjoy checking out and would love to see it on here.

thanks!

Chris
[Image: YhZT2.png]

DO NOT TRADE: Richard Albers

(06-24-2011, 08:54 PM)spitjean Wrote: Hey Chris,

Just a quick suggestion for Beckett Online.

Weekly and or Monthly hot lists ala Beckett Magazine. That's one feature I also enjoy checking out and would love to see it on here.

thanks!

Chris
It's been suggested to the analysts in the past.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)