`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

Knoxhuskerknox Wrote:I recently purchased some 1955 Bowman baseball cards on eBay. Two of the cards are 3/32" shorter than the others, and one is 5/32" shorter. When I contacted the seller about this, I was told "Size of the cards is normal. The 55 Bowman set had card lengths all over the place. I thought everyone that collected this set would have known by now." Do you know anything about this?

Chuck Knox

It's not uncommon for older cards to have issues with cut size from time to time. While I didn't research anything on that set, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

cato9er Wrote:This question is in regards to the 2004 Fleer Authentix Baseball subset of "Ticket to the Majors" quad autographs. I currently have 19 of the autographs, but cannot confirm if the Alfredo Simon exchange exists. I have been unable to find an accurate checklist, but if the Simon exists I believe there only to be 20 cards in the setl. Please tell me you have the answer! Thanks, James Caton (Kennebunk, ME)

If it's on Beckett.com, its as accurate a checklist as there is. It's quite possible the card may not have been made. If it was announced at the time, then the checklist would reflect that.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

cwqjr Wrote:Johnny Logan auto? I have a card which I certainly pulled from a box, but I don't remember what. It's identical to the Topps 1991 archives 1953 reprint number 158 (John Logan) ---- except it's autographed on the front with a wide-pointed black pen . It's not marked in any way on the back as an authorized auto, etc. I can't find such an auto in the Beckett online price guide or the SCD big book. Can you identify this card? (Sorry - no scan)
Thanx!Woody

Check the fine print on the card itself. If it's a certified autograph from a recent Topps set, it should note that on the back. It's also possible that it came from those packs -- I don't have that reference book handy to check. Poke around on Beckett.com and you should find all of his listed cards -- it should be on the list somewhere.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

How can you identify what a refractor card looks like.
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP

how can i tell if my 89 bowman ken griffey jr is bowman or bowman tiffany

i have a 2007 ud black prodigous 25/25 josh hamilton its not listed on this site the number is on front of card is it fake or is it listed as something else on this site

what it sounds like you have is the 1991 fleer factory set that fleer put out the 1991 fleer set is in the online pricing and is not really worth much due to over production like most 80's production cards. i remember when you couldnt touch the 1984 donruss set price wise and now it is very obtainable. and just my luck thats what i have most of is 1980 and back in my collection.

animie67 Wrote:How can you identify what a refractor card looks like.

The plastic will reflect different colors of light. And there should be a notation on the back near the card number that says Refractor.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

davidkezia Wrote:how can i tell if my 89 bowman ken griffey jr is bowman or bowman tiffany

Tiffany cards are printed on bright white cardboard and have a really glossy front. They will look much brighter than regular cards.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

davidkezia Wrote:how can i tell if my 89 bowman ken griffey jr is bowman or bowman tiffany

Tiffany cards are printed on bright white cardboard and have a really glossy front. They will look much brighter than regular cards.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news