`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!

The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!
Welcome to the error and variation discussion thread!

This thread will be a place to gather information on sets that contain errors and variations that affect the BMB member's collections. It will be an ideal place to post questions on errors and variations as well as share your new discoveries and variation information.

Below is the most current list of sets that have large amounts of variations in them and what the variations are.

1981 Topps: several cards can be found without their top black border
1982 Topps Blackless: Missing the black ink on front
1982 Topps Blueless: Missing the blue ink on front
1983 Topps Traded: single or double asterisk on back (* or **)
1986 Donruss Highlights: Highlights logo on front can be found in white (rare) or yellow
1986 Topps Mini Leaders: dull or glossy finish
1987 Donruss Backs: back face either left or right, factory vs. wax/rack/cello1987 Sportflics: Copyright '86 or '87 or no copyright on back
1988 Bazooka: White or Gray cardstock
1988 Bazooka: single or double asterisk (* or **)
1988 Donruss: Partial or missing copyright/TM on fronts
1988 Donruss Borders: Factory borders/back text differ from wax/rack/cellos
1988 Topps Big: Most cards can be found with multiple print desinations (ex: E* and F*). Some cards can be found where a part of the print designation has been poorly airbrushed away.
1989 Bowman Father/Sons subset: Textured TV/solid gray TV
1989 Donruss INC/INC. : in copyright on back
1989 Donruss Denotes*/*Denotes* : in stat box on back
1989 Donruss Grand Slammers: 5 different colored borders, one color has black bars in back borders
1989 Score Promos/No Copyright: Missing copyright on back-bottom
1989 Topps All Star Commemorative: White or Gray cardstock
1989 Topps Glossy All-Stars: * and **

1989 Upper Deck #2-99: can be found with TM or R-symbol next to logos on front
1990 Bowman 1st printing/2nd printing: airbushed uniforms, backgrounds
1990 Bowman Art Cards: single or double asterisk on back (* or **)
1990 Donruss INC/INC. : in copyright on back
1990 Donruss Splatter variations: factory and wax/rack/cello versions differ
1990 Donruss Grand Slammers: with or without black bars in back borders
1990 Fleer All-Stars: text cropping variations on back
1990 Fleer Baseball MVP's: Thick black line/bar at top of photo/border
1990 Fleer Canadian: copyright on back notes being printed in Canada on this limited release
1990 Topps Traded: Gray backs (wax) or White box (factory)
1990 Topps Traded: single or double asterisk on back (* or **)
1990 Upper Deck No Copyright: cards #101-199 with or without copyright line on back
1991 Bowman E*: players with E** print designations can be found with E**, E*, E * variations.
1991 Donruss INC/INC. Noticeable by the lighter and darker cardstock
1991 Donruss Border variations: Factory and wax/rack/cello versions differ
1991 Donruss Grand Slammers: Blue and Green borders
1991 Donruss Grand Slammers: Blue bordered cards have three different varieties
1991 Fleer: due to use of 2 different printers, each card comes in two versions, most very minor
1991 Stadium Club: most (possibly all) cards come in 2 different print designations (ex: A* and B*)
1991 Topps A* and B*: all cards with this print designation come in either bold red 40th or dull/ghosted 40th logo on back
1991 Topps Traded: Gray backs (wax) or White backs (factory)
1991 Topps Traded: single or double asterisk on back (* or **) (gray backs only)
1991 Upper Deck: Holograms on back come in four different ways: 90-91-style (used for hi# 90-91 Hockey), 1990-baseball style (used for 1990 UD baseball), 1991-style (used for many 1991 UD products) and in 1992 style (used on 1992 UD, 1991-92 Hi # NBA/NFL and NHL).
1991 US Playing Card All Stars: US copyright, International Copyright and US Copyright/Silver Edged versions exist.
1992 Bowman E*: E* sheet players can be found in an E variation (no asterisk).
1992 Bowman Foil: All the non-"SP" foils come in two different photo croppings.
1992 Donruss INC/INC.
1992 Investors Journals: Blue, Gold, Purple borders
1992 Leaf INC/INC.
1992 Leaf Black Gold: Some, possibly all can be found in INC and INC. versions
1992 Score Dream Team: Backs face left or right
1992 Score #736-776: Come with or without the "rookie prospect" banner on front
1992 Stadium Club: most (possibly all) cards come in 2 different print designations (ex: A* and B*)
1992 Topps McDonald's : single asterisk or double asterisk (* or **)
1994 Upper Deck Collector's Choice Future Foundation: Silver Sig cards can be found with base-white lettering on front or with appropriate silver lettering on front.
1994 Upper Deck Collector's Choice Future Foundation: first letter in text on back can be found in white or gray color.
1994 SP Foils: come in either white names on back or gold/bronze names on back
1994 Upper Deck Electric Diamond: some, possibly all series 1 cards come in a "silver" version where the stat heading bar on back is silver instead or bronze
1995 Stadium Club Foil Subsets (Transactions/Extreme Corps): Minimum of 4 different color varieties.
1997 Score Hobby Reserve: HR prefix to number and no prefix types exist.
1997 Upper Deck Capture the Flag: some, possibly all cards in this subset come in either white or gold backs
1998 Finest Mystery Finest: Base, refractor number identified with 'R', Refractor number identified with 'Refractor', Refractor identified with 'R' with no refraction
2004 Topps Series 2: Some cards can be found with "53 Years of Collecting" stamped on front under name.

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread!
Thanks a TON, Jackson! I'd love to see some scans detailing the differences, as well.

Here's one you didn't mention. It's a 1992 Topps McDonald's with one * or two **.

[Image: 1992ToppsMcDonaldsVariation.jpg]

Additionally, here is a lengthy thread discussing many of the variations listed above. It's a good reference for anyone interested in these types of variations. Earlier Thread.

Thanks for the reference thread Jackson! It's too bad that this George Brett collector sold around 2000 of his duplicates over the past 6 months. I'll have to pour over the few remaining duplicates I have and compare them to this list and maybe I'll get lucky! It's amazing to think that I never realized that these errors existed. I seriously could've just sold maybe 20 or so Brett variations that I didn't even realize existed.

Scott

1: You might want to mention that '89 Donruss has the INC/INC. in the *donotes/*denotes* variation

2: 1992 Upper Deck is available with both silver and gold holograms

In reading about the '91 UD holo variations, does it matter which series the card is from. I noticed that Butler as a Giant (#270) has a different holo than his Dodger card (#732). Are you saying that each card, regardless of series, has holo variations?

Don't forget these. 1994 CC Silver signature white letter FRONT (not back/White A)

[Image: arod.jpg]

I found these 91 upper deck.The one on the left has the copyright info,the one on the right doesn't have it.

Edited-Meant to say that they are printed in 2 differant locations.Wonder if thats because series 1 and 2?

[Image: Picture054.jpg]

TNP777 Wrote:2: 1992 Upper Deck is available with both silver and gold holograms

In reading about the '91 UD holo variations, does it matter which series the card is from. I noticed that Butler as a Giant (#270) has a different holo than his Dodger card (#732). Are you saying that each card, regardless of series, has holo variations?
The 1993 Upper Deck set also comes in Gold and Silver hologram variations.

I'd also like some further description of the 1991 Hologram variations. What exactly are the variations? Are they immediately obvious? (I'll check my stack at home tonight...)

bornagaincollector Wrote:I found these 91 upper deck.The one on the left has the copyright info,the one on the right doesn't have it.

[Image: Picture054.jpg]
I think again that that might have more to do with the series the card was released in, rather than the set. My low #ed Butlers all have the copyright, but all my high #ed Butlers are missing it. Can anyone corroborate, hopefully with a big stack of evidence?

edit: I just checked my '91 UD Dodger team set. Every card above 700, or with the F in the card number is missing the copyright information. That should ring true with everyone else's, right?

Thrill 22 Wrote:
TNP777 Wrote:2: 1992 Upper Deck is available with both silver and gold holograms

The 1993 Upper Deck set also comes in Gold and Silver hologram variations.
Yep, you're right. Forgot all about that.