`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
1984-85 Star Jordan XRC Advice

RE: 1984-85 Star Jordan XRC Advice
The market is starting to realize the staggering difference in the "population" reports of certified graded examples of the 1984 Star MJ XRC vs. the 1986 Fleer MJ RC.

As of April 1, 2015 here is the comparison of the total population report of the "Big 3" grading services (PSA, SGC, BGS) for both cards. These are eye-popping stats.

1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan #57 RC = Pop 23,819

1984-85 Star Michael Jordan #101 XRC = Pop 380

23,819 vs. 380

(04-02-2015, 04:45 PM)KobeJames Wrote: The market is starting to realize the staggering difference in the "population" reports of certified graded examples of the 1984 Star MJ XRC vs. the 1986 Fleer MJ RC.

As of April 1, 2015 here is the comparison of the total population report of the "Big 3" grading services (PSA, SGC, BGS) for both cards. These are eye-popping stats.

1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan #57 RC = Pop 23,819

1984-85 Star Michael Jordan #101 XRC = Pop 380

23,819 vs. 380
Now you're making me think I need more!Smile

A bagged 1984-85 Bulls set (The Jordan looked pretty good) just sold for $4575 on ebay (had 63 bids), but most of the single Jordans don't seem to be moving.

I won a Star 101 BGS 8.5 (with 2 9.5 subgrades) from PWCC in April 2014 for 4k.

Given the recent appreciation in price over the past year I think I made a wise investment.

I consider this a true MJ grail card.

Given the rarity of this card, especially in comparasite to the overproduced 86 Fleer, I can easily see this being a 10k card in 5 years especially as the economy improves.

I am very happy to have one of these as back in the 90's I wouldnt touch this card due to the counterfeit issues. But ever since BGS stepped up to the plate and decided to grade these, this card has regained its title as "THE" MJ card to own.

With the recent explosion of Jordan 90s inserts over the past 5 years this card has been a sleeper and quite overlooked.

In time, I can see this card really taking off

Love it!!

(04-06-2015, 10:38 AM)ifyoucanthinkofit Wrote: A bagged 1984-85 Bulls set (The Jordan looked pretty good) just sold for $4575 on ebay (had 63 bids), but most of the single Jordans don't seem to be moving.
Sold my BGS Authentic a couple of days ago for $1,500.

The cheapest one on there right now is a BGS 6.5 and the Buy It Now is set at $2,500.

That's about what 7.5's have gone for so I highly doubt he gets that. He'll probably get a few hundred more than what I got for mine. Maybe $2k if he's really lucky.

Yeah, I've seen that 6.5 for quite a while. If he tries best offer it might sell.

(04-23-2015, 07:37 PM)ifyoucanthinkofit Wrote: Yeah, I've seen that 6.5 for quite a while. If he tries best offer it might sell.
Yeah, that's the only way he's going to sell it.

I had my Authentic listed for $2k Buy It Now or Best Offer.

I had about a handful of $1k offers, a $1.2k offer, and a $1.5k offer. I took the $1.5k offer because I knew that's about what mine was going to top out at in the condition it was in.

I thought the guy was going to back out on me for a while cause it took him like 4 days to send me payment for it via PayPal. That was after I opened up a non-payment case on his *****. He gave me some BS answer about a family emergency or whatever, but I got paid and he got his card so it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

(04-02-2015, 01:57 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: Wow, I didn't realize bgs 8's were selling that high, I picked mine up almost a year and a half ago for $1600. I got a good deal but didn't think they would appreciate this fast.
I know. I wish I had gotten back into collecting Star cards sooner!

(04-23-2015, 07:43 PM)NateNichols Wrote: Yeah, that's the only way he's going to sell it.

I had my Authentic listed for $2k Buy It Now or Best Offer.

I had about a handful of $1k offers, a $1.2k offer, and a $1.5k offer. I took the $1.5k offer because I knew that's about what mine was going to top out at in the condition it was in.

I thought the guy was going to back out on me for a while cause it took him like 4 days to send me payment for it via PayPal. That was after I opened up a non-payment case on his *****. He gave me some BS answer about a family emergency or whatever, but I got paid and he got his card so it's all good as far as I'm concerned.
Sometimes it takes a little longer if the person has to transfer funds, etc. Things do happen.

That 6.5 has my eye, just because I'd like another one in case I sell mine, but I don't think I could live with a 6.5...maybe in 20 years. Then it will be 50 years old. I don't seem to mind so-so condition in my older cards.

(04-24-2015, 11:23 AM)ifyoucanthinkofit Wrote: I know. I wish I had gotten back into collecting Star cards sooner!

Sometimes it takes a little longer if the person has to transfer funds, etc. Things do happen.

That 6.5 has my eye, just because I'd like another one in case I sell mine, but I don't think I could live with a 6.5...maybe in 20 years. Then it will be 50 years old. I don't seem to mind so-so condition in my older cards.
I'm trying to find another one in the raw. I know it's pretty much going to be like hitting a bulls-eye on a dart-board after drinking a 12-pack and spinning around in a circle 20 times. It's worth a shot though, right?

Now that I do know what I'm looking for in regards to an original vs. an after-copy or re-print, it's easy to spot. To me, the "REB" vs. "Reb" is the first thing I'm looking for outside of the obvious coloring and centering attributes.

(04-24-2015, 12:17 PM)NateNichols Wrote: I'm trying to find another one in the raw. I know it's pretty much going to be like hitting a bulls-eye on a dart-board after drinking a 12-pack and spinning around in a circle 20 times. It's worth a shot though, right?

Now that I do know what I'm looking for in regards to an original vs. an after-copy or re-print, it's easy to spot. To me, the "REB" vs. "Reb" is the first thing I'm looking for outside of the obvious coloring and centering attributes.
They're out there. It just takes time to find them.