`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
OT:: a little local baseball history

OT:: a little local baseball history
Have a sports room and was looking for some great pics of historic baseball events when it occurred to me my hometown and current residence had a rich baseball history all it's own and quite the unique story.
Starting (depending on source) 1899-1902 men would play baseball on the mud flats at low tide. No big machinery or enough flat land around here to build a ballfield. Anyway tons of pics to go through at the local museum but here's a few faves I may have matted and framed

The ballfield at high tide
[Image: Picture19.png]

Game on with fresh lines
[Image: Picture16.png]

Great crowd. The church in background is still here and smack in the middle of what's now downtown
[Image: Picture17.png]

The local team that traveled. Notice the ethnic mix in 1905
[Image: Picture18.png]
no org, please do not send trade requests

RE: OT:: a little local baseball history
Those are some great pics. That is great way to decorate a sports room. If I ever get one again I will have to borrow your idea. Thanks for sharing!
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

Wow that is incredible! I love that 2nd pic. Splash = HR or ground rule double? lol
Looking for Largents
[Image: largentrainbow_zps361408c2.jpg]
skc444's bucket

Great photos!
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Thanks guys! I think it's pretty dang sweet
no org, please do not send trade requests

thats pretty cool!!

I worked in Larsen Bay, AK in the summer of '89, and I can believe they played games by the schedule of tides. Everything centered around the tide schedule, which was odd for a kid from Texas. Awesome pictures!

Very cool, thanks for showing those pics. Nice idea.
Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

Great photos. A nice little snapshot of history.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(02-18-2013, 02:35 AM)michaelstepper Wrote: Have a sports room and was looking for some great pics of historic baseball events when it occurred to me my hometown and current residence had a rich baseball history all it's own and quite the unique story.
Starting (depending on source) 1899-1902 men would play baseball on the mud flats at low tide. No big machinery or enough flat land around here to build a ballfield. Anyway tons of pics to go through at the local museum but here's a few faves I may have matted and framed
Wow. That's really cool! Thanks for posting those pix. What a cool baseball history.
A buddy of mine lives in Hoboken, NJ and took me to the Elysian Fields, believed to be the site of the first organized baseball game. It was a great feeling to actually stand on that spot where it probably all began.

If you want to see pix of The Elysian Fields, check out my buddy's website
http://www.hobokenbaseball.com/
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.