IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Jordan vs Jordan
Video 
Jordan vs Jordan
** Edit - Videos added **

Two of the best Jordan cards I've had are below. They both look gorgeous with strong eye appeal and they are both HIGHLY coveted among Jordan/90's collectors but I was curious to see which one you guys preferred to have if you were to win one in a contest or if you had to blow $15k - $20k on one of these cards.

1997-98 Metal Universe PRECIOUS METAL GEMS Ruby Michael Jordan
(Almost NO Chipping which is extremely difficult to find.)

[Image: 1997-98MetalUniversePRECIOUSMETALGEMSRub...0Front.jpg]

[Image: 1997-98MetalUniversePRECIOUSMETALGEMSRub...90Rear.jpg]

1997-98 Finest GOLD EMBOSSED REFRACTOR Michael Jordan BGS 9.5+
(Highest Graded Example. NON-Faded which is extremely difficult to find.)

[Image: 1997-98FinestGOLDEMBOSSEDREFRACTORMichae...5Front.jpg]

[Image: 1997-98FinestGOLDEMBOSSEDREFRACTORMichae...95Rear.jpg]

Some info:

The PMG Ruby is Serial #'d to /100 where first /10 are Emerald Greens and the remaining /90 are Ruby Reds. It has a Book Value of $6.5k and climbing continuously. Market Value showed Near Mint copies sell for $11k and a Mint 9 sell for $14k with a few private sales in the $15k - $16k area now. $42k for Gem Mint.

The Gold Embossed Refractor is Serial #'d to /74. It has a current Book Value of $7.5k. Market Value showed Ungraded specimens sell in the area of $7.5k - $10k each and Gem Mint copies between $15k - $18k+.

Make sure to watch the videos in Full 1080P HD to get max details.

1997-98 Metal Universe PRECIOUS METAL GEMS Ruby Michael Jordan

1997-98 Finest GOLD EMBOSSED REFRACTOR Michael Jordan BGS 9.5+

I've always had different opinions from various collectors and would like to know your guys' preference and taste between the two. Thanks!

RE: Jordan vs Jordan
Rare, do you have a personal collection, or do you buy and re-sell? I notice you have lots of pictures of amazing MJ's... But, I've seen them sell on The Bay. Just wondering!

I would defenetely prefer the PMG!!!

I'm always buying and selling. I originally buy to put into my PC but list them on eBay to entertain offers. Not necessarily to sell but more to see what kind of interest and offers the card receives. It's an excellent tool to see market response and values.

However, higher offers keep rolling in so I end up selling them. I then re-use that card money plus the profit made to invest/purchase other cards. It's a cycle.

I'm not filthy rich like some high end Jordan collectors so I can't afford to keep buying high end cards and keep them stored away. I always had to sell some cards to obtain other nicer higher end cards.

there is to much market manipulation with these types of cards, i know you have heard about it and have been a centerpiece in discussions concerning the manipulation. i know the pmg is more iconic, but i would rather have the finest because it is rarer and a more attractive card imo.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

BTW, I ended-up buying the Golden Touch PSA 10 listed on The Bay. That is the reason we did not make a deal, unfortunetely. However, I am pretty sure you will sell your GT for the right price.

I still look forward to your Auctions... Hopefully, we can make deals in the future. I can tell you right now that I am looking for the '96 BMOC Die-Cut (BGS 9.5 or 10 and/or PSA 10) as well as the Star Power Supreme (BGS 9.5 or 10 and/or PSA 10), as per hegotgame15's recommendation.

-John

(11-16-2012, 05:18 AM)pingbling23 Wrote: there is to much market manipulation with these types of cards, i know you have heard about it and have been a centerpiece in discussions concerning the manipulation. i know the pmg is more iconic, but i would rather have the finest because it is rarer and a more attractive card imo.
You know, I don't blame em. Whenever a really high end card sells for $15k - $20k, especially when they are 90's Jordan cards, the usual pessimists will raise all Hell. I've seen it happen too many times. Unfortunately, that's what happened with the $18.25k Gold Embossed Refractor sale that happened last year which caused a huge buzz. I don't know if it's hate, jealously or plain ignorance... but even when I showed proof of sale with Paypal receipts, Bank Transfers, Pictures of the card being mailed, delivery confirmation, etc... they still called it a fake sale and me a scammer. Very hostile and mean. And ONLY on Blowout by the same handful of people who always had a thing against the entire Jordan market.

Anyways, I don't want to get into it again. It's been beaten to death and it's gotten so old. It's in the past and I don't let their harsh and false accusations affect me anymore as the truth always prevails.

Thanks for your opinion btw.
(11-16-2012, 05:24 AM)JMF_PR83 Wrote: BTW, I ended-up buying the Golden Touch PSA 10 listed on The Bay. That is the reason we did not make a deal, unfortunetely. However, I am pretty sure you will sell your GT for the right price.

I still look forward to your Auctions... Hopefully, we can make deals in the future. I can tell you right now that I am looking for the '96 BMOC Die-Cut (BGS 9.5 or 10 and/or PSA 10) as well as the Star Power Supreme (BGS 9.5 or 10 and/or PSA 10), as per hegotgame15's recommendation.

-John
No problem John. Nice PSA 10 pickup. I'll let you know if I run into any you're looking for. Thanks!

Man that is a hard choice they are both amazing pieces..... I guess if I went for looks and rarity I'd go for the Gold Refractor, but I'd probably take the PMG just because of how iconic that set is now, and always will be. So if you're continuing the cycle (selling and reinvesting in some other NICE cards) any ideas what you might be going after next? I don't think it get's much better than those two? Has anyone ever come across a 98-99 SPx Finite FE Spectrum Jordan? I think that would be an amazing piece to have graded 9 or better.

Well I wouldn't spend anywhere close to 10K on either of those cards. The market on those are definitely manipulated and they will come down big time in the future. But I love the finest and would be ok spending 3-4 grand on it max, which should be its real value IMO

Sweet cards! : )

I don't know much about the market manipulation for these but I would think the market on the super high end inserts will soften over time. The customer base that can drop $10-20k on a single card is pretty small. If these cards are going into private collections, they won't be coming out anytime soon. At those prices, I would be very hesitant to invest to flip and expose to such a huge risk.

I would never call the seller's integrity into question, especially when he is here to defend himself. It would be far easier to hide behind the computer. I think its really a matter of what big time collectors see the auction and get involved. if only one then prices are low...if multiple, look out. Egos with folks that can drop $15k on a card are pretty serious and can easily end up in a pissing contest/bidding war.

As far as the cards go...The Finest is WAY more attractive. I think the precious metal gems are butt ugly. All the metal products just look silly to me. I never understood the whole Metal Universe thing and how it relates to sports cards but what do I know.

Embossed MJ, hands-down. of course, I have a thing for die-cut cards as well as refractors, so that card is clearly the best of both of those worlds!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]