`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Help Explain BCCG v PSA v BGS

Help Explain BCCG v PSA v BGS
Ok, so I am not so concerned about the difference in grade between PSA and BGS. Its more of a question of why PSA over BGS?

However, what is everyone's best estimate of what a BCCG card would grade BGS. I have a couple HOFer RC with BCCG grades of 9. However, after looking at the cards, I cannot understand how they got these grades.

Is this common? Can someone fill in someone new to the Grading game. I just sent 20 into BGS to grade and I am already hand selecting my next order. Wondering if these should be sent in for a BGS valuation.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Leo
I collect Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Michael Jordan.

RE: Help Explain BCCG v PSA v BGS
Good luck with BCCG...they tend to grade out at least a grade and a half lower (or that's what I've seen most commonly...never done it).

I'm a BGS fan because I like the cases better and the use of subgrades on the label. Others like PSA for their own reasons...I'm just not a fan.
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

So your estimate (off the cuff of course) is that my BCCG 9 would likely be a 7.5 BGS? I definitely prefer the BGS cases and subgrades as well. They just feel better than anything I have seen yet. I am slowly going to get my HOFer PC collection graded. Thinking 10-20 cards every three months or so I am just trying to get better knowledge on this part of the hobby.
I collect Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Michael Jordan.

BGS is defiantly better looking! Send your cards to PSA you mainly get dudes that drool on keyboards all day, so you will come out with more 10's. If your looking to sell I would say go with PSA because of that. BGS tends to be strick(which I like) and PSA grades 10 that are off centered and looked like your kid put them in the spokes of their bikes.

For instance Watching PSA 10'S sell like hot cakes and 9.5 BGS sit and rot on the bay. From my personal OPINION I would go with BGS Smile

Most collectors I personally have met over the years prefer and still go with BGS.

Sorry I didnt bring up BCCG..... No comment
[Image: mikethomas_banner-1.jpg]
Mike Thomas Collection Thread
Working 3rd shift, so please be patient to my replies Smile

(10-28-2012, 07:05 PM)lsolarte1 Wrote: So your estimate (off the cuff of course) is that my BCCG 9 would likely be a 7.5 BGS? I definitely prefer the BGS cases and subgrades as well. They just feel better than anything I have seen yet. I am slowly going to get my HOFer PC collection graded. Thinking 10-20 cards every three months or so I am just trying to get better knowledge on this part of the hobby.
If you're already at a BCCG 9, I might guess it would get an 8. Probably depends on exactly why it didn't get a 10 to begin with.

It's worth grading, just don't get attached to the label color. If you're doing it for the PC, it shouldn't really matter. With that said, I did send in a few this go around for "authentication only." They were so damaged/off-center they might have gotten 5's or 6's. In that case, I'm all about the blue label. Wink

Vintage I go PSA...current ( modern cards) I feel the best value is bgs
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

Thanks for all of the input. I did look at my 1989 Thurman Thomas RC. Its a PSA 10, very charp corners and edges but no questions slighlty off center. Not really looking to sell, just since they are PC and my HOFer PC goal of 1 RC and 1 Auto, I want to constantly improve my collection if I can. For example, I have a BGS 9.5 Brett Favre RC. I just sent 5 more in for grading that I think are clean. If 1 comes back 10, that's going in the PC the rest will be sold. I have a Walter Payton BGS 6.5, so in my collection notes, I would be ecstatic t otrade for a 7 or better and then the 6.5 will go out for trade/sale. First goal, have every HOFer RC, second goal, slowly work my way up on them so they are all 8.5 or better. At the end of the day (actually probably the end of a couple decades) I should have a pretty impressive HOFer collection.

(10-28-2012, 07:43 PM)lsolarte1 Wrote: Thanks for all of the input. I did look at my 1989 Thurman Thomas RC. Its a PSA 10, very charp corners and edges but no questions slighlty off center. Not really looking to sell, just since they are PC and my HOFer PC goal of 1 RC and 1 Auto, I want to constantly improve my collection if I can. For example, I have a BGS 9.5 Brett Favre RC. I just sent 5 more in for grading that I think are clean. If 1 comes back 10, that's going in the PC the rest will be sold. I have a Walter Payton BGS 6.5, so in my collection notes, I would be ecstatic t otrade for a 7 or better and then the 6.5 will go out for trade/sale. First goal, have every HOFer RC, second goal, slowly work my way up on them so they are all 8.5 or better. At the end of the day (actually probably the end of a couple decades) I should have a pretty impressive HOFer collection.
PSA 10 is more likely to get you a BGS 9.5 in return. Just did that with one of my Magic autos. BCCG not so much. Sad

Good luck with your goals, those are some monsters you're talking about!

I prefer BGS for the cases and overall look of the cards slabbed in them. For PSA - a PSA 10 will bring more cash if you decide to sell later (older, high value cards mostly) but not really anything less than a 10. This is not based on months and years of research rather on a few cards that I have been tracking. So dont take too much stock in it. As for BCCG - I sent in 6 cards graded BCCG 10 - 2 came back a 6, one a 7, one a 7.5 and 2 8's so you can gather what you need from that. I, personally, will no longer buy BCCG ever again because of this.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(10-28-2012, 10:50 PM)branesergen Wrote: I prefer BGS for the cases and overall look of the cards slabbed in them. For PSA - a PSA 10 will bring more cash if you decide to sell later (older, high value cards mostly) but not really anything less than a 10.
I agree completely with this. If it's not a PSA 10, don't bother.

(10-28-2012, 10:50 PM)branesergen Wrote: As for BCCG - I sent in 6 cards graded BCCG 10 - 2 came back a 6, one a 7, one a 7.5 and 2 8's so you can gather what you need from that. I, personally, will no longer buy BCCG ever again because of this.
Uhhhh, ouch.