`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ebay issue ?

Ebay issue ?
I recently posted some PSA 9 graded cards on ebay. An ebayer emailed me and started asking me about shipping costs. I of course listed shipping costs on ebay, 2.50. The cards were listed as auction 4.99 or buy it now 5.99. Considering the cost to grade them, cost of shipping them properly etc. I thought i was providing a pretty good deal. Not really making anything off of them, just not keeping them for my PC. After numerous lengthy emails from the prospective buyer I grew iritated and told him that if he is going to bid on the cards he is responsible to pay charges as listed. I guess his issue was that he wanted to purchase numerous cards and me to agree to wave most of the shipping cost, or combine shipping. Seeing that I provide reasonable shipping costs and a very resonable price for the cards I was offended, especially since I dont see making much of anything off them to begin with. Right off the bat I had told him that if he wins multiple auctions he can contact me for consideration of shipping cost reduction or partial credit back. Am I wrong to be upset with how he sent numerous emails trying to get me to reduce the shipping after I had told him I would consider if he won and contacted me? I dont plan on giving the cards away! or taking on a loss! And if he wins numerous PSA Graded Cards I will have to ship in a box which may increase costs due to weight and size. I know I have purchased numerous cards on ebay and been charged way more for shipping, recieved the card in a PWE between cardboard and no more than a penny sleeve. I figure actuall shipping cost for my cards I sell, penny sleeve, toploader team bag, bubble envelope, postage, delivery tracking. Am I unreasonable or Is this guy out of line?? Any comments........

RE: Ebay issue ?
The guy was asking a legitimate question. The buyer should know up front if they will be able to get combined shipping or if you plan on charging $2.50 per item, regardless of how many they win, and should not have to wonder how much he'll be charged until after the end of the listings. He was doing the right thing and finding out what he could before dedicating himself to your items instead of throwing a fit after the fact.

If you're worried about it, raise your starting price. However, if you don't combine the shipping cost but still send them all together at a rate much lower than what you actually charged him, don't be surprised to be dinged on your stars. Personally, I feel that if you don't combine the shipping costs, you shouldn't be combining the products into one package.

(10-17-2012, 08:18 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: The guy was asking a legitimate question. The buyer should know up front if they will be able to get combined shipping or if you plan on charging $2.50 per item, regardless of how many they win, and should not have to wonder how much he'll be charged until after the end of the listings. He was doing the right thing and finding out what he could before dedicating himself to your items instead of throwing a fit after the fact.

If you're worried about it, raise your starting price. However, if you don't combine the shipping cost but still send them all together at a rate much lower than what you actually charged him, don't be surprised to be dinged on your stars. Personally, I feel that if you don't combine the shipping costs, you shouldn't be combining the products into one package.
Maybe I should clarify, the bidder noticed that there was no option to combine shipping and that payment was due immediately if you use the buy it now. And stated these facts in the email to me. I responded that if he won multiple auctions I would consider reducing shipping in accordance with costs. He was not happy with that response and kept emailing. At which point I became irriated. I clearly did not list or have the option for combined shipping. As I had stated I had indicated I would consider it if the ebayer won multiple auctions. If a buyer doesnt trust a seller then why are they buying from them? After numerous other emails I told the ebayer they should expect to pay the fees as listed on the auction if they are going to bid, do to the repeated emails and getting annoyed. But did once again conclude with stating I would consider a partial refund or reduction in shipping costs if numerous auctions were won in accordance with shipping costs.

I disagree with the comment on packaging and feeback.
If you bid on an auction then what right do you have to leave feedback of a negative manner for what was cleary stated as charges?

Also, even though alot of us (including me)do not care for how our items arrrive (packaging) I dont belive it would be right to leave negative feedback unless your product was damaged on arrival.

(10-17-2012, 08:47 AM)phillihp23 Wrote: Maybe I should clarify, the bidder noticed that there was no option to combine shipping and that payment was due immediately if you use the buy it now. And stated these facts in the email to me. I responded that if he won multiple auctions I would consider reducing shipping in accordance with costs. He was not happy with that response and kept emailing. If a shipping price is listed and you bid it is expected that you pay as listed. I clearly did not list or have the option for combined shipping. As I stated I had indicated I would consider it. If a buyer doesnt trust a seller then why are they buying from them?

I highly disagree with the comment on packaging and feeback.
If you bid on an auction then what right do you have to leave negative feedback for what was cleary stated as charges?

Also, even though alot of us do not care for how our items arrrive (packaging) I dont belive it would be right to leave negative feedback unless your product was damaged on arrival.
So what is the issue? The guy wanted to know if you would combine shipping and you neither said yes or no but, essentially, said maybe. Just because a seller doesn't include that they combine, doesn't mean they don't and many do.

Being that there appeared to be some back and forth between both of you, and nobody here has seen these messages, I can't really comment on those other than assume that the guy was looking for a straight answer and not a "I'll consider it". What is there to consider? You either will or you won't. If you don't want to run into this, add the $2.50 to your starting price and label it as free shipping.

Additionally, I never said anything about someone leaving a negative feedback. I mentioned that they may ding your stars. I believe it would very well be within their right to ding the stars depending on how many auctions they won, how much you charged for s/h, and how much it actually cost you. For example, if the guy won four of the cards, you would seriously consider charging him $10 s/h on that? If so, I would hope that you were going to ship each card by itself since you are charging them that way. How it's fair for you to combine the cards into one package and not allow the buyer to pay that combined price is beyond me.

if you charge that much for each, and dont combine, you will be making a bunch of money off that shipping charge.

unless you plan on shipping them separately, of course

fact is, a buyer, if they are unhappy, has the power. if you overcharge on shipping - and by not combining your shipping, you will be overcharging - they can bang your stars, , hit you with a negative, and get your account suspended for charging too much for shipping (ebay actually charges you fees on your shipping charges, and they have taken a hard line to shipping overcharges as of late.)

(10-17-2012, 09:04 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: If you don't want to run into this, add the $2.50 to your starting price and label it as free shipping.
Isn't that just symantec's? Its the same price either way.

5.99 buy it now
2.50 shipping

8.49 buy it now
Free shipping

I know when i look at an auction I see it for the total cost....whats shipping, whats card price and add them together. I dont say well this ones free shipping so I'll buy it for 8 dollars rather than the one that is 5 dollars and 3 dollar. I dont think anyone is fooled by that.

The only differance I see is that you remove the ability to argue for combined shipping. I find it to be a game of perception and nothing more.

(10-17-2012, 09:26 AM)phillihp23 Wrote: Isn't that just symantec's? Its the same price either way.

The only differance I see is that you remove the ability to argue for combined shipping. I find it to be a game of perception and nothing more.
Exactly. However, you're problem is now solved You get your $2.50 for each listing and don't have to worry about combining shipping.

But if the first equation, you're doing $5.99 and then each auction has $2.50 shipping. So, if you combine, you only are gauranteed the $5.99 from each addition auction.

If you do the $8.49 with free shipping you don't have to worry about cutting corners and will in escense make more money.

Here it is in #s (I am using an approximate # and will stay you sold 10 auctions.

With the first equation, you will make $59.99 off the ACTUAL auction price and will have $25.00 in shipping charges ($84.99 all together). If you combine shipping with a $10 cap, then you lose the additional $15 that you would've brought in with shipping and you're only pocketing $69.99.

However, if you do the $8.49 with free shipping, the ACTUAL auction price will be $84.90. It should cost you about $8 max to ship 10 graded cards. You take that out of the original auction price of $84.90 and have basically $76.00 that you brought in.

Now can you see the difference in the 2?

(10-17-2012, 09:26 AM)phillihp23 Wrote: Isn't that just symantec's? Its the same price either way.

5.99 buy it now
2.50 shipping

8.49 buy it now
Free shipping

I know when i look at an auction I see it for the total cost....whats shipping, whats card price and add them together. I dont say well this ones free shipping so I'll buy it for 8 dollars rather than the one that is 5 dollars and 3 dollar. I dont think anyone is fooled by that.

Ricelynnevans75 I hope i didnt come of wrong with this topic. I buy a lot of baseball cards on ebay and sell cards occasionally, cards i end up with that I dont PC. And when people happen to win multiple auctions I usually discount/credit back shipping if after shipping I find the fee was in excess, more than say 50 cents over what was charged. I just rarely sell multiple cards to the same person, or a lot of cards at all. The prospect buyer just kept diggin. If i say i will work with you and I dont, by all means negative feedback me. But when you havent won anything and havent been lied too, and have been told I will work with ya, there is no need to keep pestering. Ya know what I'm sayin. By the way I have 100% feedback both sales and purchases. I pride myself on packaging and fair prices, and quick shipping on anything I sell. What didnt help was the guy appeared to be one of those high volume nickel and diming, profit diggin non hobbiers, trying to get something for nothing to flip and make money. Ooops...what i meant is i prefer to deal with fair hobby collectors, hobby collector to hobby collector.
(10-17-2012, 09:39 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: With the first equation, you will make $59.99 off the ACTUAL auction price and will have $25.00 in shipping charges ($84.99 all together). If you combine shipping with a $10 cap, then you lose the additional $15 that you would've brought in with shipping and you're only pocketing $69.99.

However, if you do the $8.49 with free shipping, the ACTUAL auction price will be $84.90. It should cost you about $8 max to ship 10 graded cards. You take that out of the original auction price of $84.90 and have basically $76.00 that you brought in.

Now can you see the difference in the 2?
Now that you put it that way....I'll make more money and the winners wont get any discount. LOL ! and that somehow makes me a better seller in someones eyes ROFL.

I guess I'm just a wiser buyer because I would see through that and personally buy from someone else. But hey, if that makes other buyers happy I'll give it a swing next time I have some cards to put up for auction.

I appreciate the comments and showing me the differance. Nice meeting you. I'm sure I'll see you more on here....you seemed ready on the trigger when i posted.
(10-17-2012, 09:22 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: if(ebay actually charges you fees on your shipping charges, and they have taken a hard line to shipping overcharges as of late.)
Never realized ebay charges fees on your shipping charges. good to know. Thanks

"Now that you put it that way....I'll make more money and the winners wont get any discount. LOL ! and that somehow makes me a better seller in someones eyes ROFL."
You missed the point entirely, He offered an alternative to not being able to answer a simple question about shipping (next time you phone order something make sure you buy it when they say "I'll work with you on shipping, trust me")

'I guess I'm just a wiser buyer because I would see through that and personally buy from someone else. But hey, if that makes other buyers happy I'll give it a swing next time I have some cards to put up for auction."
I purchase a lot of items this way, because I know what my max willing to pay price is and I don't care how the seller comes up with it.

'I appreciate the comments and showing me the differance. Nice meeting you. I'm sure I'll see you more on here....you seemed ready on the trigger when i posted.'
If I want 3 or more items from a seller and he has no info about combined shipping I e-mail and ask-(I mean, why would I pay $10.00 for them to ship 4 cards @ $2.50 each?) I expect to pay honest and true shipping charges along with gas and time but nothing outlandish. If a seller can't say at the time of e-mail yes or no to combined shipping that usually means no. Why would the decision be any different 1, 2 or 7--days later, seller needs to to think it through? WHAT???? I never purchased from that guy. The shipping cost SHOULD NOT USED TO CREATE PROFIT. That's just dishonest. We have our word, our reputation and our morals , non of which should ever be compromised. I have too say since 1999 and asking roughly 100 plus people about combining shipping (3 or more items) I only received one open answer such as yours. Thankfully...
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks