`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RC in both Topps and Topps Update?

RC in both Topps and Topps Update?
Can anyone tell me why some players have rookie cards in both 2012 Topps and 2012 Topps Update? WOuldn't that be like having a rookie in Topps Series 1 and then a rookie in Topps Series 2? Are they both "Real" rookies?
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

RE: RC in both Topps and Topps Update?
(10-05-2012, 09:20 PM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: Can anyone tell me why some players have rookie cards in both 2012 Topps and 2012 Topps Update? WOuldn't that be like having a rookie in Topps Series 1 and then a rookie in Topps Series 2? Are they both "Real" rookies?
Yeah, one is a MLB debut card, no stats, just a description of their first game.

Topps has been doing this since 2010 (Strasburg's rookie year), but this year they made it more confusing by putting the RC logo on both.

That's why some players, like Trevor Bauer and Will Middlebrooks, have two cards in the update set, because they weren't in either of the earlier series.

Bryce Harper has just a MLB debut card in the Update set (not counting the All-Star card), because technically his Series 2 SSP is his rookie card (arg!!!) ... although they handled this differently for Strasburg in 2010, by putting both a base RC and a debut card in the Update set, eben though he already had the Million Card Giveaway rookie card or whatever.

Double arg!!!

To make things really confusing, Jesus Montero has THREE cards in Topps this year ... his Series 1 RC with the Yankees, his MLB debut card in the Update set with the RC logo, and a base Mariners card with no RC logo (!) in the update set as well.

I did a thread on the Harper card, I'm very annoyed at how they've handled this ...

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1515242.html

Anyway, glad someone else noticed LOL ... RJ

yeah the Rookie debut cards shouldn't have the RC logo on them. The only reason they did this was to drive the secondary market IMO. I don't consider any of the debut cards to be rookies.

Kudos to beckett though for not marking those cards with the RC designation in the database.

Then you have players like A.J. Ellis for the dodgers whose Update card is his true rookie but lacks the RC logo like Jemile Weeks in the earlier series.

You guys are the best. NOW, I am kind of irritated because I picked up the Montero Update(I am a Montero guy) at the LCS. I paid bottom dollar for it so I don't feel too bad but I picked it up because it had the RC logo on it. I get home and then I realize that...what do you know, I Have his Topps rookie. I also still don't understand why he is listed as a Yankee on the Update card. I sometimes do not like Topps.

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

(10-06-2012, 06:11 AM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: You guys are the best. NOW, I am kind of irritated because I picked up the Montero Update(I am a Montero guy) at the LCS. I paid bottom dollar for it so I don't feel too bad but I picked it up because it had the RC logo on it. I get home and then I realize that...what do you know, I Have his Topps rookie. I also still don't understand why he is listed as a Yankee on the Update card. I sometimes do not like Topps.
He made his ML debut with the Yankees. That's why that card is listed as a Yankee.
[Image: yankees2copy.jpg]

Right. But as a late season release couldn't topps have used updated information for the guy? I could see him being in a Yankees uni in,say, 2011 update but by the 2012 release he had played almost a full season as a mariner.

(10-06-2012, 06:26 AM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: Right. But as a late season release couldn't topps have used updated information for the guy? I could see him being in a Yankees uni in,say, 2011 update but by the 2012 release he had played almost a full season as a mariner.
Did you happen to get his Rookie Debut card? If so, he debuted last year as a Yankee so they are going to have his debut card with him in his debut uniform
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]

(10-06-2012, 06:26 AM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: Right. But as a late season release couldn't topps have used updated information for the guy? I could see him being in a Yankees uni in,say, 2011 update but by the 2012 release he had played almost a full season as a mariner.
Did you happen to get his Rookie Debut card? If so, he debuted last year as a Yankee so they are going to have his debut card with him in his debut uniform
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]

Rookie Debut isn't considered a Rookie Card because it is an insert.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Confusing none the less
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK