`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckett Grading

RE: Screwed by Beckett Grading
I can tell just by the scans that some of them are off-centered just a tad. It's junk that they charged your for the autograph grades and didn't put them, but I think the card grades look fine.

(10-22-2011, 05:12 PM)slufan83 Wrote: I can tell just by the scans that some of them are off-centered just a tad. It's junk that they charged your for the autograph grades and didn't put them, but I think the card grades look fine.
You must not have read the entire thread. Beckett did put the Auto Grades; they put them on the back now.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I have nothing to say on what your cards should/shouldn't have gotten from BGS, or what I personally think of grading cards to begin with (check other posts if you want that lol). I noticed that someone a few posts back asked if anyone had ever seen the resume of a grader because for all they knew it might just be some college intern. I actually just finished reading a book called "Mint Condition" by Dave Jamieson which talks at length about the grading process at PSA. There's a lot that goes into it, from classification and cataloging, to investigation for cards with variations (like the old T206s), to the grading room where "sixteen men, most of them apparently in their twenties or thirties, were working in silent concentration.... the room would have been pitch black if not for the small penumbra of light that fell across each grader's desk" on which was a variety of tools: "ruler, jeweler's loupe, blacklight."

If you want to become a PSA grader, "you have to work in every other area here first. You have to work in the investigations department and learn about the cards. You have to work in the sealing department and feel the cards and handle them. You can't just pick up a card - you have to learn it." Also, "grading is, of course, highly subjective, but PSA strives for consistency.... After two graders have evaluated the same card, they share their scores. If the scores match up the case is closed. If they differ, the card goes to a tie-breaking grader who makes the final call. Each PSA grader handles anywhere from 300-600 cards in a day... that leaves anywhere from about 45 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes to appraise a single card," but "the graders know exactly what to look for. It's like they're programmed."

It was a really interesting book about the history of the hobby. I just thought I would share since I saw the comment about it.

Jamieson, Dave. Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became and American Obsession. Atlantic Monthly Press, New York, NY, 2010. Pgs. 223-225.
*Please note that in all of my future trades, I will require extra time to ship. I have no adequate transportation to a post office. If you don't want to wait, please do not trade with me.*

(10-22-2011, 04:44 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I use a Motic DS2 Microscope with a millimeter marked lense for measuring centering (had fabricated by a friend), I have several lenses but the 20mm works the best for cards. Bought for $250.00 bucks 2 years ago. Great investment.
Consider buying a loupe also, for when going to card shows, etc... great investment for like $10 to $20.

I suggest a 10 or 20 power, you can buy them online, or ask your local jewelry store owner to get one for you.

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

Yes, Psa fully discloses their grading process and who their graders are. I have never heard a peep of who the graders at bgs are, or their process.

None the less, I tend to be a hot tempered guy, when I opened the package I was astounded. I have calmed down a bit, still not happy....but lesson learned on my part. I am sending off a 200 card submission to psa next week, I will let everyone know the results in 30 days.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(10-22-2011, 05:16 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: You must not have read the entire thread. Beckett did put the Auto Grades; they put them on the back now.
Guess not....thanks for clarifying.

(10-22-2011, 05:37 PM)shezdoni Wrote: Consider buying a loupe also, for when going to card shows, etc... great investment for like $10 to $20.

I suggest a 10 or 20 power, you can buy them online, or ask your local jewelry store owner to get one for you.
I have several loupes, I take to card shows with me ( got from little John for you Cleveland folks on the forums). The motic I use at home and puts the loupe to shame.

I think Beckett is generally more respected than PSA when it comes to grading. BGS >>>>>>> PSA/SGC for me. PSA and SGC are tied for 2nd, but nowhere close to Beckett. And if it isn't graded by one of those 3, I don't even consider it graded.

I disagree, I think PSA is a cut above BGS, the strasburg superfractor fiasco hurt them a lot in the community. Maybe among younger collectors they are more popular. But among more veteran collectors I think they prefer psa, at least the card shows i attend that seems to be the consesus.

This might be a dumb question, but why is the Thomas autographed grade on the front and not on back like the others? If BGS started doing that a while back, why would they grade part of your order the old way?
[Image: chipper.jpg]

Collect Atlanta Braves cards/memorabilia. Chipper Jones and ROY autographs (107/130). Currently looking for 2004 Donruss Elite Passing the Torch cards of Chipper Jones, Dale Murphy, or both that I need.