`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eli Manning...how good is he?

Eli Manning...how good is he?
So I just want to know what people think about Eli....He has the most varying opinions of any player I can think of.
To some he is Elite...to some he is just an average or slightly above average QB....and to some he is just a bad QB that is riding on his last name.

I personally like Eli....I dont think he is Peyton,Rodgers,or Brady....but he is defiantly better than average.
I would say he is near the bottom of the Elite list of current QB's.

Although I may be a bit Biased....Eli is a Sigma Nu and he did beat the Pats in the SuperBowl..Smile

Aside from the how good is he argument....how much does his name influence his collectability and price of his cards?

RE: Eli Manning...how good is he?
He's 8 times better than Mark Sanchez and 10 times better than Matt Ryan

Eli is pretty good. His last name definitely adds to his popularity. I got him in the top 20 for sure and prolly top 15.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(10-10-2011, 01:51 AM)dfcj1499 Wrote: He's 8 times better than Mark Sanchez and 10 times better than Matt Ryan
well I 100 percent agree with Sanchez...he is just awful....I think Ryan is a lot better than Sanchez tho...I think Ryan is def several notches under Eli either way tho.
(10-10-2011, 01:56 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Eli is pretty good. His last name definitely adds to his popularity. I got him in the top 20 for sure and prolly top 15.
I know a thousand people will hate on the list....but here is how I kinda rank current QB's...but Eli is the 3rd highest rated passer in the NFL through 5 games....ranked higher than names like Brees and rivers!

1. Peyton
2.Rodgers
3.Brady
4. Brees
5A. Eli
5B. Rivers
6.Schuab

Then after that I think it almost varries from week to week.
but guys that would be next in line would be names like
Vick,Ryan,Flacco,Romo,Hasselbeck,Roethlesburger,Stafford,Fitzpatrick...and those are in no particular order...just the guys that kinda bounce around in the top 15 and one guy that takes a lot of heat but actually plays well is Jason Campbell...he isnt a bad QB but is often looked at like a scrub

I think he's vastly overrated. He's riding the coattails of the Manning name as hard as anyone's rode a last name that I can remember. His stats have been mediocre over his career. His teams are usually average at best for that reason. He throw's too many INT's (more-so of late). He fumbles a lot too.

Sure, he's a Super Bowl winner. But that team won a championship largely in spite of his performances. Sure, he had the big play(s) to Tyree and the game winner (on a busted coverage) to Burress. But that team won because of their defense keeping them in, and leading them to, most of their wins.

(10-10-2011, 02:07 AM)ejnfl24 Wrote: I think he's vastly overrated. He's riding the coattails of the Manning name as hard as anyone's rode a last name that I can remember. His stats have been mediocre over his career. His teams are usually average at best for that reason. He throw's too many INT's (more-so of late). He fumbles a lot too.

Sure, he's a Super Bowl winner. But that team won a championship largely in spite of his performances. Sure, he had the big play(s) to Tyree and the game winner (on a busted coverage) to Burress. But that team won because of their defense keeping them in, and leading them to, most of their wins.
more so as of late?
He only has 2 interceptions in 5 games brosky.
He is the 3rd highest rated passer in the nfl this season.

(10-10-2011, 01:57 AM)Marinoisking Wrote: well I 100 percent agree with Sanchez...he is just awful....I think Ryan is a lot better than Sanchez tho...I think Ryan is def several notches under Eli either way tho.

I know a thousand people will hate on the list....but here is how I kinda rank current QB's...but Eli is the 3rd highest rated passer in the NFL through 5 games....ranked higher than names like Brees and rivers!

1. Peyton
2.Rodgers
3.Brady
4. Brees
5A. Eli
5B. Rivers
6.Schuab

Then after that I think it almost varries from week to week.
but guys that would be next in line would be names like
Vick,Ryan,Flacco,Romo,Hasselbeck,Roethlesburger,Stafford,Fitzpatrick...and those are in no particular order...just the guys that kinda bounce around in the top 15 and one guy that takes a lot of heat but actually plays well is Jason Campbell...he isnt a bad QB but is often looked at like a scrub
Eli might have a higher QB rating than Rivers at this point but he also hasn't directly cost his team win(s) against low tier teams *cough* Seahawks *cough*. Rivers has got off to a slow start but I'm sure 99.9% of people will take the guy in a heartbeat over Eli. He's going to turn it around soon and show why he's clearly the better QB than Eli.
(10-10-2011, 02:08 AM)Marinoisking Wrote: more so as of late?
He only has 2 interceptions in 5 games brosky.
He is the 3rd highest rated passer in the nfl this season.
You must be smoking that good good. He threw 3 INT's today and cost the Giants a win against the lowly Seahawks!!! He has 5 INT's on the season now. That's 30 total since the start of last season (which is where I was going with that comment). You mustn't know that ESPN doesn't update overall player and league stats until Monday/Tuesday. Big Grin

(10-10-2011, 02:10 AM)ejnfl24 Wrote: Eli might have a higher QB rating than Rivers at this point but he also hasn't directly cost his team win(s) against low tier teams *cough* Seahawks *cough*. Rivers has got off to a slow start but I'm sure 99.9% of people will take the guy in a heartbeat over Eli. He's going to turn it around soon and show why he's clearly the better QB than Eli.
Rivers almost cost the Charges a win against an awful team today didnt he?

just look at this seasons stats side by side....I know Rivers is your dude...and he is a great QB...I just like Eli so far this yea...but we will see were it goes!
CMP ATT YDS CMP AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT ELI
80 125 1,066 64.0 8.53 8 74 2 2 105.6

107 157 1,286 68.2 8.19 5 55 6 2 87.7 Rivers

(10-10-2011, 02:10 AM)ejnfl24 Wrote: Eli might have a higher QB rating than Rivers at this point but he also hasn't directly cost his team win(s) against low tier teams *cough* Seahawks *cough*. Rivers has got off to a slow start but I'm sure 99.9% of people will take the guy in a heartbeat over Eli. He's going to turn it around soon and show why he's clearly the better QB than Eli.

You must be smoking that good good. He threw 3 INT's today and cost the Giants a win against the lowly Seahawks!!! He has 5 INT's on the season now. That's 30 total since the start of last season (which is where I was going with that comment). You mustn't know that ESPN doesn't update overall player and league stats until Monday/Tuesday. Big Grin
all that aside....look at the first quarter of the season.
Rivers still still has more INT in just 4 games than Eli does in 5

I think once you get past the top 4 there is a bit of a drop off so once you start making an argument from 5-10 it really doesnt matter. IMO.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(10-10-2011, 02:14 AM)Marinoisking Wrote: Rivers almost cost the Charges a win against an awful team today didnt he?

just look at this seasons stats side by side....I know Rivers is your dude...and he is a great QB...I just like Eli so far this yea...but we will see were it goes!
CMP ATT YDS CMP AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT ELI
80 125 1,066 64.0 8.53 8 74 2 2 105.6

107 157 1,286 68.2 8.19 5 55 6 2 87.7 Rivers

all that aside....look at the first quarter of the season.
Rivers still still has more INT in just 4 games than Eli does in 5
I get that. But "almost" doing something is a lot different than doing it. Our only loss is to the Patriots (and we were right there with 'em). Eli DIRECTLY cost the Giants their game today against SEATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not going to sugar coat anything. Rivers has got off to a slow start this year. But a lot of his "mistakes" haven't been on him. 4 or 5 of his INT's were fluke's. 2 by D-Linemen, and multiple one's that hit off of WR's hands. But most importantly none of them were back breakers like Manning's pick-six he threw to Browner today.

I might be biased but in my eye's Rivers is head and shoulders above Manning skill-wise.