Beckett Message Boards
The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread! - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (http://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread! (/thread-179699.html)

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - jacksoncoupage - 02-24-2008 05:46 PM

JeffD27177 Wrote:I'm not sure if this thread is only for cards from a certain era (because I don't see any cards listed not from the 90's), but what about the Topps 2007 no name/no team fronts? Topps Vault released them in Beckett holders with blank backs and labeled as 1/1's, but some got into circulation with proper backs. I don't know how rare they are, but I've seen less than 5 of Fielder's on ebay. I have two myself...here's one (regular base on left):

[Image: Fielder07ToppsBaseNNOF.jpg?t=1203890309]

If this is not "on topic" I apologize.

The no-foils that came from packs, are they blank-backed like the Topps Vault releases?

If not then they would be simple printing mistakes of missed-foil processing and are relatively common. I remember all last year seeing auctions in "error" searches for these cards. Obviously even printing flaws are scarcer compared to their foiled counterparts but it did seem like they were often available.

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - KillerBeeFan - 02-24-2008 06:37 PM

Still working my way through my Biggio duplicates. I am finding a lot of what has been posted as part of this thread. I don't see a 1991 Fleer variation among the 20+ cards I have - does anyone know if Biggio has two versions of this card?

Another series of cards that came to mind as I'm working on this is the 1991 US Playing Card All Stars set. I have three variants.

1) Regular card with "The US Playing Card Co." on the non player side.

2) Variation of #1 with " The International Playing Card Co MLB & MLBPA 1991" on non-player side.the

3) Same as # 1 but cards have Silver Edges and very slight die cut corners.

Would you consider these to be variations like others discussed in this thread?

Phil

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - TNP777 - 02-24-2008 08:17 PM

KillerBeeFan Wrote:Still working my way through my Biggio duplicates. I am finding a lot of what has been posted as part of this thread. I don't see a 1991 Fleer variation among the 20+ cards I have - does anyone know if Biggio has two versions of this card?

Another series of cards that came to mind as I'm working on this is the 1991 US Playing Card All Stars set. I have three variants.

2) Variation of #1 with " The International Playing Card Co MLB & MLBPA 1991" on non-player side.the

Phil

Phil, I've got those same three, plus a fourth. It's an oversized proof with square corners, rather than the rounded corners of the American, Canadian and silver-edged ones.

[Image: oddball91spadesproof_F8.jpg]

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - Fandruw25 - 02-24-2008 08:37 PM

jacksoncoupage Wrote:
JeffD27177 Wrote:I'm not sure if this thread is only for cards from a certain era (because I don't see any cards listed not from the 90's), but what about the Topps 2007 no name/no team fronts? Topps Vault released them in Beckett holders with blank backs and labeled as 1/1's, but some got into circulation with proper backs. I don't know how rare they are, but I've seen less than 5 of Fielder's on ebay. I have two myself...here's one (regular base on left):

The no-foils that came from packs, are they blank-backed like the Topps Vault releases?

If not then they would be simple printing mistakes of missed-foil processing and are relatively common. I remember all last year seeing auctions in "error" searches for these cards. Obviously even printing flaws are scarcer compared to their foiled counterparts but it did seem like they were often available.

I know there also some 1st editions that came out of this set with no names on the bottom....It sounds like it was just printing errors and with the amount I've seen I wouldn't be see if 90%of the players have a no-foil error.

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - JeffD27177 - 02-24-2008 08:44 PM

Fandruw25 Wrote:
jacksoncoupage Wrote:

I know there also some 1st editions that came out of this set with no names on the bottom....It sounds like it was just printing errors and with the amount I've seen I wouldn't be see if 90%of the players have a no-foil error.

My thought was that all of the players have one, which is why I thought it was a "variation" of sorts. Seems though that you guys are saying a printing "error" doesn't count as an "error/variation."

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - Thrill 22 - 02-24-2008 08:54 PM

KillerBeeFan Wrote:Still working my way through my Biggio duplicates. I am finding a lot of what has been posted as part of this thread. I don't see a 1991 Fleer variation among the 20+ cards I have - does anyone know if Biggio has two versions of this card?

Phil

The Silver Gilded variations are very real, but not the easiest to see unless you have the whole deck/set. These were relatively unknown for a while, and I had fairly advanced player collectors tell me I was crazy when I tried to describe them back in the day. (as an aside, remember how difficult it was to be a player collector in the pre-internet/eBay era? Just impossible...) I don't have the US v Int'l variation...or at least I don't think I do. Any chance you could post a scan?

I'm also curious about the 1991 Fleer variation. I haven't identified one on my handful of Will Clarks, but I'm not really sure what to look for, either.

Drew

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - KillerBeeFan - 02-24-2008 09:09 PM

Thrill 22 Wrote:The Silver Gilded variations are very real, but not the easiest to see unless you have the whole deck/set. These were relatively unknown for a while, and I had fairly advanced player collectors tell me I was crazy when I tried to describe them back in the day. (as an aside, remember how difficult it was to be a player collector in the pre-internet/eBay era? Just impossible...) I don't have the US v Int'l variation...or at least I don't think I do. Any chance you could post a scan?

I'm also curious about the 1991 Fleer variation. I haven't identified one on my handful of Will Clarks, but I'm not really sure what to look for, either.

Drew

Here you go ....

Left = Silver Gilded Edge Version
Center = International Playing Card Version (Look at bottom of card)
Right = Standard Version

Phil

[Image: USPlayingCards.jpg]

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - onionring9 - 02-25-2008 01:06 AM

KillerBeeFan Wrote:
Thrill 22 Wrote:The Silver Gilded variations are very real, but not the easiest to see unless you have the whole deck/set. These were relatively unknown for a while, and I had fairly advanced player collectors tell me I was crazy when I tried to describe them back in the day. (as an aside, remember how difficult it was to be a player collector in the pre-internet/eBay era? Just impossible...) I don't have the US v Int'l variation...or at least I don't think I do. Any chance you could post a scan?

Drew

Here you go ....

Left = Silver Gilded Edge Version
Center = International Playing Card Version (Look at bottom of card)
Right = Standard Version

Phil

[Image: USPlayingCards.jpg]

Did they have the International version for 1990 as well?

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - bondshof - 02-25-2008 01:14 AM

Great informative thread.
I didnt know about the Donruss, INC./INC, varities until now.

If we could discern between the factory set versions versus the regular versions that would help out alot. We can assume there were less factory sets made than the regular versions?
for example:
1988 Donruss Reg & Factory version (reversed front border)
Are all the reg versions front borders the same or are the borders both ways?

1988 Donruss Reg *denotes & Factory version *denotes* ????????

Collectors that have bought factory sets should be able to help out with what were factory and reg issues.

I think most player collectors wouldnt mind have having both the factory and regular versions, for some of the earlier issues,
For example the 1988 Donruss factory version with the front border switched which is easily recongnized side by side, I have only seen about a dozen total of these on the bay since I been collecting Bonds, most sellers dont even realize it is the factory version, in this regards the factory version should have a slight premium versus the regular version.

I also found out about the Topps * ** , E, F, versions through this thread. Could some of these versions be a factory set version?

My feb/mar 2007 issue of Beckett Baseball Card Plus doesnt list this error:

1981 Donruss #71 Bobby Bonds
error has 986 HR on reverse

has been corrected

326 HR.

I think there would be a little demand for the factory versions, if only we knew for sure what the factory versions are.

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread! - bondshof - 02-25-2008 02:05 AM

1988 Donruss Reg *denotes & Factory version *denotes* ????????
should read
1989 Donruss Reg *denotes & Factory version *denotes* ????????

I have 1-2 examples of UD no holograms, can see where the holo was stamped but no ink, probably no interest in these since was a manufacturing error. also a couple of examples where
Topps wasnt printed on the Home RUn History cards.

One error to look for in UD is Sheffields rookie, with the upside down SS (short stop), these are hard tell apart.