Beckett Message Boards
So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled (/thread-1618101.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - rjcj2017 - 07-27-2020

Over the weekend Matt Davidson of the Reds tested positive for covid after playing in a game, and now seven players on the Marlins have also tested positive, so a couple of games have been cancelled tonight.

I give MLB about two more weeks before the whole thing shuts down and we call it good on a 10-game season.

RE: So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - kerryandbeth - 07-27-2020

Well, eventually we could all test positive without any symptoms and open things back to normal...I wish!!

Avoiding it will only delay the inevitable.

RE: So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - ricelynnevans75 - 07-27-2020

I didn't think it was going to happen at all the way things were looking while trying to figure out salaries and length of season.

RE: So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - bonds20001 - 07-27-2020

I predict the season is over..what little we had is nevermore..
I wish the info coming out would be:
What % of the players are:

1.  + test   asked for or given and what type of test..
2. Symptoms?
3. Feel sick and then tested??
4. Hospitalized?
5. ICU?
6. Ventilator?
7. Death?

That is the progression...testing everyone will give more than 40% + without symptoms..
We do not know the % of these people who can give the virus to others..long term effects..etc..

RE: So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - rjcj2017 - 07-27-2020

ricelynnevans75 Wrote:I didn't think it was going to happen at all the way things were looking while trying to figure out salaries and length of season.
Yes, the sad thing is we could have already had 40 or 50 games if they wouldn't have wasted so much time to begin with.

At this point I'm actually in favor of calling off all sports until 2021.

The cardboard fans and the pumped in crowd noise are stupid anyways.

Give me real sports when the time is right ... and this ain't it.

RE: So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - ricelynnevans75 - 07-27-2020

(07-27-2020, 12:51 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: The cardboard fans and the pumped in crowd noise are stupid anyways.

To be fair, in Tampa Bay it's probably more noise than they're used to.

RE: So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - jaredhuizenga - 07-27-2020

rjcj2017 Wrote:Over the weekend Matt Davidson of the Reds tested positive for covid after playing in a game, and now seven players on the Marlins have also tested positive, so a couple of games have been cancelled tonight.

I give MLB about two more weeks before the whole thing shuts down and we call it good on a 10-game season.

Beyond Davidson, Moustakas is on the IL for illness and Senzel was scratched because he also started feeling sick.

It's up to 11 of the 33 players that traveled with the Marlins to Philly. I imagine the other 22, along with anyone on the plane will have to be tested a couple of times before they're allowed back on the field.

This season was doomed the second they chose home cities and travel over hubs.

Between infections and the domino effect of other guys opting out as more people get infected, I expect there will be a lot of turnover on the 60-man pools before long.

ricelynnevans75 Wrote:To be fair, in Tampa Bay it's probably more noise than they're used to.
Good one, LOL

jaredhuizenga Wrote:Beyond Davidson, Moustakas is on the IL for illness and Senzel was scratched because he also started feeling sick.

It's up to 11 of the 33 players that traveled with the Marlins to Philly. I imagine the other 22, along with anyone on the plane will have to be tested a couple of times before they're allowed back on the field.

This season was doomed the second they chose home cities and travel over hubs.

Between infections and the domino effect of other guys opting out as more people get infected, I expect there will be a lot of turnover on the 60-man pools before long.
The funny thing will be when a guy like Torkelson gets called up to the Tigers next week because of the rona, plays two game before the season is shut down, and then we wait until February 2021 for his Topps Series 1 RC.

RE: So it Begins ... MLB Games Cancelled - jbissell - 07-28-2020

Im definitely not holding my breath that MLB will be able to bring the 60 game season to conclusion.

I think the NFL is very closely watching how MLB's season goes. I do believe if college and pro football shut down completely, there will be a significant segment of sports fans who will blow a gasket. I wonder if football being canceled will finally get some people who dont want to wear masks to start wearing them.

I do not intend to start another political discussion, but if baseball and football are unable to proceed this Fall, there will be no escape for many people from what is certain to be the ugliest presidential campaign and election we've ever seen. Seems like the USA is in a very bad place right now.