Beckett Message Boards
Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Hockey (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? (/thread-1611238.html)

Pages: 1 2

Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - Davinci - 05-07-2018

Which brands or boxes offer the chances at getting the most valuable cards? Is it the 207-2018 Upper Deck Series 1 Hobby box? Or Upper Deck Artifacts Hobby box ? Or Upper Deck Black Diamond Hobby box etc etc. I am new to sports cards as I have bought and collected since the 80's and early 90's. There seems to be so many editions and types and products I am completey confused. What I really want is to open up packs like we used to and have a chance at getting a very rare valuable card. All these editions make it so hard to understand what I am looking for an what I will get. Ugh

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - mswatson - 05-08-2018

Depends on what you're willing to spend. It's possible to get valuable cards in most any product, but there are high end products - like The Cup, Ultimate, Premier, and a new one this year, Splendor - where you get relatively few cards and pay big bucks for them. There's what I consider a middle tier that are highly prized by "serious collectors" that also deliver big hits at a bit lower price point (maybe) - like SP Authentic, SPx, SP Game Used, Black Diamond. Then there are the lower-end products, where you get more cards at a lower price point - a lot of variety here, some aimed at set builders, some at beginners, some at casual collectors. Products like O-pee-chee and Parkhurst are at the low end, Series 1 and 2 in the middle, and Artifacts and Ice toward the higher end. All of these lower-end products are capable of delivering big cards, I actually pulled a Wayne Gretzky autograph card out of an O-pee-chee box once, but that'll be a harder pull.

So, what to buy? I tend to stick with the lower-end products personally, since I enjoy building sets. Series 1 and 2 have what's called Young Guns cards - rookie cards - that are widely collected, and can be worth hundreds of dollars. And with these, you'll spend some time opening packs and sorting cards.

Artifacts or Ice would be a bit of a step up, you'll get fewer packs and cards, but you'll generally get one fairly good hit per box (tho no guarantee). Artifacts has a wide variety of hits and can yield interesting surprises. In Ice, you'd be looking for the /99 rookies - cards where only 99 were printed - these can be worth hundreds to over a grand.

Mid-tier, all depends on personal preference. Like rookie autographs? SP Authentic. Like real diamonds? Black diamond. But with the exception of SP Authentic, don't expect to be opening lots of packs here unless you have a really deep wallet.

Top tier, again personal preference but at this point, The Cup is the reigning champ - you'll pay $100 per card, and hopefully get cards valued in the thousands.

This "classification scheme" is my own way of thinking, other opinions and additional information is welcome.....

Hope this helps a bit. Mostly it all comes down to what you like. If you're not familiar with the various products, you might want to tune in to some of the online group breakers and watch them open some boxes - they typically open a variety of products and you can see what each product line offers. I personally usually watch breaks on Cloutsnchara.com, but there are lots of them out there - you can watch them break live (and buy into breaks if that's your thing) or watch their videos on youtube.

Good luck, happy hunting, and welcome to the hobby/site!

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - Davinci - 05-09-2018

(05-08-2018, 06:09 PM)mswatson Wrote: Depends on what you're willing to spend. It's possible to get valuable cards in most any product, but there are high end products - like The Cup, Ultimate, Premier, and a new one this year, Splendor - where you get relatively few cards and pay big bucks for them. There's what I consider a middle tier that are highly prized by "serious collectors" that also deliver big hits at a bit lower price point (maybe) - like SP Authentic, SPx, SP Game Used, Black Diamond. Then there are the lower-end products, where you get more cards at a lower price point - a lot of variety here, some aimed at set builders, some at beginners, some at casual collectors. Products like O-pee-chee and Parkhurst are at the low end, Series 1 and 2 in the middle, and Artifacts and Ice toward the higher end. All of these lower-end products are capable of delivering big cards, I actually pulled a Wayne Gretzky autograph card out of an O-pee-chee box once, but that'll be a harder pull.

So, what to buy? I tend to stick with the lower-end products personally, since I enjoy building sets. Series 1 and 2 have what's called Young Guns cards - rookie cards - that are widely collected, and can be worth hundreds of dollars. And with these, you'll spend some time opening packs and sorting cards.

Artifacts or Ice would be a bit of a step up, you'll get fewer packs and cards, but you'll generally get one fairly good hit per box (tho no guarantee). Artifacts has a wide variety of hits and can yield interesting surprises. In Ice, you'd be looking for the /99 rookies - cards where only 99 were printed - these can be worth hundreds to over a grand.

Mid-tier, all depends on personal preference. Like rookie autographs? SP Authentic. Like real diamonds? Black diamond. But with the exception of SP Authentic, don't expect to be opening lots of packs here unless you have a really deep wallet.

Top tier, again personal preference but at this point, The Cup is the reigning champ - you'll pay $100 per card, and hopefully get cards valued in the thousands.

This "classification scheme" is my own way of thinking, other opinions and additional information is welcome.....

Hope this helps a bit. Mostly it all comes down to what you like. If you're not familiar with the various products, you might want to tune in to some of the online group breakers and watch them open some boxes - they typically open a variety of products and you can see what each product line offers. I personally usually watch breaks on Cloutsnchara.com, but there are lots of them out there - you can watch them break live (and buy into breaks if that's your thing) or watch their videos on youtube.

Good luck, happy hunting, and welcome to the hobby/site!

Thanks man. This is exactly the info im looking for. Ill have to make a decision soon. Ive got the itch that Goldbond can cure lol. Also, is there a year that is better right now? Or is the latest year the best to buy in terms of chance of value?

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - mswatson - 05-09-2018

There's good stuff in all years, but some years *are* better than others. 05-06 had Crosby and Ovechkin rookie cards, 15-16 had McDavid, and 16-17 had Auston Matthews. This year's boxes have some strong rookies also, Hischier and Boeser and others. You'd pay more for boxes from those earlier years, if you can find them. Depends on the rookies/teams you want which years were better than others.

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - jonathani - 05-09-2018

If you want "valuable", stick with the hobby boxes. They cost more, but your odds are better.

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - Davinci - 05-09-2018

(05-09-2018, 06:58 AM)mswatson Wrote: There's good stuff in all years, but some years *are* better than others. 05-06 had Crosby and Ovechkin rookie cards, 15-16 had McDavid, and 16-17 had Auston Matthews. This year's boxes have some strong rookies also, Hischier and Boeser and others. You'd pay more for boxes from those earlier years, if you can find them. Depends on the rookies/teams you want which years were better than others.

ys but isnt the market flooded with these cards now? And when do the 2018-2019 cards star releasing? And when do we know which is the cards that everyone wants for that year?

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - mswatson - 05-09-2018

(05-09-2018, 10:37 AM)Davinci Wrote: ys but isnt the market flooded with these cards now? And when do the 2018-2019 cards star releasing? And when do we know which is the cards that everyone wants for that year?

Not necessarily. For example, if there are only 99 copies of a desirable card, some are pulled early and some later, but many find their way into personal collections never to see the market again (or at least not anytime soon). And for some cards, value can vary more based on the player's performance than the supply - cards for a hot rookie that tanks in his second year can drop in value, all else being equal.

Products generally release at varying times. While many of the 17-18 sets are already out, some are not - SP Authentic is coming out soon (next week, I think), and The Cup always comes out later than that. Some of the 18-19 sets will likely start releasing mid to late summer, generally the entry level sets like MVP and O-pee-chee. (both of which I collect, BTW) If you have a local card shop (LCS), they can usually tell you what products are releasing and when.

And Jonathani has a really important point, hobby boxes from your LCS will get you better cards, the small boxes you may find in stores like Wal-Mart cost less, but the odds of hitting the better cards in them are much lower, and in some cases, the better cards are not available in those boxes.

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - Davinci - 05-10-2018

I just bought 1 hobby box of 2017-2018 upper deck series 1 and 1 hobby box of 2017-2018 upper deck series 2 to start me off. What is the most valuable card or cards I want to hit in these? I looked up some young gun prices of them and most seem like $5-10 cards sadly. So what is the the hit that I really want from these boxes I bought?

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - mswatson - 05-10-2018

Couple of big Young Guns cards, Boeser, Hischier and McAvoy in S1 and Patrick & Keller in S2. Canvas of Patrick, Keller or McAvoy in S1, Hischier, Boeser, Beliveau, Gretzky or Patrick Program of Excellence in S2 - any canvas numbered higher than C240 is a tough pull, though obviously some are worth more than others. Some of the inserts - Clear Cuts, Fluorescences, Day with the Cup, etc, can be scarce and worth big bucks, and the Exclusives and High Gloss are potential high $ cards depending on the player.

Understand, though, that at $70 per box (or whatever you're paying), you're not going to pull multi-hundred-dollar cards out of every box. Figure at 6 YGs per box, and 100 total in S1 and S2 combined, you'd need to open 17 boxes for a full set, assuming you got no dups (OK, doing this assures two dups since 17x6 = 102). Some people open two boxes and get two Boeser YGs, others have opened 20 or 30 boxes and no hits. It's all random, and S1 / S2 are lower-tier products.

Might be a good idea to subscribe to an online price guide here on Beckett to get a sense of what's in each product and relative values, if you haven't already.

So, in your two boxes, what did you pull???

RE: Which brands or boxes offer the most valuable chances? - Davinci - 05-11-2018

(05-10-2018, 03:23 PM)mswatson Wrote: Couple of big Young Guns cards, Boeser, Hischier and McAvoy in S1 and Patrick & Keller in S2. Canvas of Patrick, Keller or McAvoy in S1, Hischier, Boeser, Beliveau, Gretzky or Patrick Program of Excellence in S2 - any canvas numbered higher than C240 is a tough pull, though obviously some are worth more than others. Some of the inserts - Clear Cuts, Fluorescences, Day with the Cup, etc, can be scarce and worth big bucks, and the Exclusives and High Gloss are potential high $ cards depending on the player.

Understand, though, that at $70 per box (or whatever you're paying), you're not going to pull multi-hundred-dollar cards out of every box. Figure at 6 YGs per box, and 100 total in S1 and S2 combined, you'd need to open 17 boxes for a full set, assuming you got no dups (OK, doing this assures two dups since 17x6 = 102). Some people open two boxes and get two Boeser YGs, others have opened 20 or 30 boxes and no hits. It's all random, and S1 / S2 are lower-tier products.

Might be a good idea to subscribe to an online price guide here on Beckett to get a sense of what's in each product and relative values, if you haven't already.

So, in your two boxes, what did you pull???

So i opened series 1 box and not happy with it at all. The most valuable card i got supposedly is a clear cut young guns Ivan Barbashev and that's only a couple dollars.

Clear cut young guns Ivan Barbashev
Young guns C.J Smith
Young guns Josh Ho-Sang
Young guns Tyson Jost
Young guns Anders Bjork
Young guns Vladislav Kamenev
Young guns Tage Thompson

Shining Stars Red Tyler Seguin
Shining Stars Mark Scheifele
Shining Stars Braden Holtby
Shining Stars Alexander Wennberg

Centennial Shoutouts Ray Bourque
Centennial Shoutouts Evgeni Malkin
Centennial Shoutouts Jamie Benn
Centennial Shoutouts John Tavares
Centennial Shoutouts Marian Hossa

UD Portraits Brent Burns
UD Portraits Max Pacioretty
UD Portraits Brad Marchand
UD Portraits Patrick Kane

UD Canvas Calle Jarnkrok
UD Canvas Brent Burns
UD Canvas Brandon Dubinsky
UD Canvas Connor McDavid

I was hoping the Connor McDavid was worth something as well adn the Red Tyler Seguin and the Clear Cut. But most are worthless, literally.