Beckett Message Boards
Long Live The Queen - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Long Live The Queen (/thread-1607012.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Long Live The Queen - DrMitchJ - 03-30-2017

Gypsy Queen is live and on the shelves at Target. Picked up 3 blasters, and the Queen did NOT disappoint. I have some Heritage cards to post as well as my GQ haul. I'll do this as soon as Photobucket starts acting normal again.
GQ did away with the mini-cards and mini-variants. The set is 320 cards (301-320 are SP). There are 'cap-less' player variants (players without their caps), 'black-less' card variants (printed without the black ink .. only yellow, cyan, & magenta) and some throwback jersey & color border variants.
Interesting, especially since the codes on the back are so darned small, i cant read them to differentiate.

RE: Long Live The Queen - bamyanks - 03-30-2017

I know what you mean DrMitch about the small type. That's why I have a loupe right here where I open packs. Guess my eyes are getting old.

RE: Long Live The Queen - jaykayzee - 03-30-2017

They did away with the minis? Great! Those were the only thing I liked in the set, I just saved a ton of money!

RE: Long Live The Queen - DrMitchJ - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 01:03 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I did an online team break last night of one case, which is the first time ever that I have bought anything of Gypsy Queen, and, I must say...I was not impressed.

I was not expecting an auto since the only Twins auto is Carew limited copies, but I was hoping for some color and numbered parallels. I only got a Kepler purple #/250. In addition to the Twins, I bought Rays and Diamondbacks, which had a couple of inserts each, and a Glassworks box topper of Greinke that I have to figure out how to preserve or display!

Sorry, Dr. Mitch, but this just isn't my taste.

I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Smile
In my experience, Case breaks can be very good or very horrible ... if there's only 1 card you're hoping for, its probably better to get it on ebay. I never saw the glassworks cards. Could you post a pic when you get yours?
(03-30-2017, 12:48 PM)bamyanks Wrote: I know what you mean DrMitch about the small type. That's why I have a loupe right here where I open packs. Guess my eyes are getting old.

I think it's microscope worthy. A loupe isn't powerful enough.
(03-30-2017, 04:23 PM)jaykayzee Wrote: They did away with the minis? Great! Those were the only thing I liked in the set, I just saved a ton of money!

I like the minis, too. Especially the mini autos and mini relics. Now you can buy more A&G minis Smile

RE: Long Live The Queen - bamyanks - 03-30-2017

Well DrMitch, I don't use the loupe on the minis; quite frankly I don't like them. Seems like I always drop them when I'm sorting thru the cards. Since they're exactly the normal card, except for the size, I really don't see the point of them.

I was trying to say the type can be small on any cards, especially the card number.

RE: Long Live The Queen - pjrussell529 - 04-01-2017

From what I've seen this is one of the best Gypsy Queen designs so far. While I'm not a fan of gimmicky parallels like the nameplate & missing black, I do love the variations and the black & white. Picked up a couple Mookie variations from the bay and can't wait to see them in hand. Haven't bought any Gypsy Queen boxes since '13 but I may have to pick up a couple. Looks fun. Can't wait to see what you got Doc!

RE: Long Live The Queen - waynetalger - 04-07-2017

I got a Box of GQ this year I was pretty happy with it too.
I got 1 card sn #1/10
2- cards numbered to 250
and a 1/1 black border auto cant remember who ir was right now but of a Reds player
and another auto of a Reds player. If your a Reds fan this would have been a box for you Smile
and a capless
and a couple of the black ink missing. I will try to post scans soon in my PC Thread

RE: Long Live The Queen - bengalsandreds - 04-07-2017

(04-07-2017, 03:37 PM)waynetalger Wrote: I got a Box of GQ this year I was pretty happy with it too.
I got 1 card sn #1/10
2- cards numbered to 250
and a 1/1 black border auto cant remember who ir was right now but of a Reds player
and another auto of a Reds player. If your a Reds fan this would have been a box for you Smile
and a capless
and a couple of the black ink missing. I will try to post scans soon in my PC Thread

I'd like to see these Reds cards....

RE: Long Live The Queen - jack pfiester - 04-07-2017

I love the green parallels!!
(04-07-2017, 05:26 PM)bengalsandreds Wrote: I'd like to see these Reds cards....

Pulled a nice Barry Larkin insert!

RE: Long Live The Queen - DrMitchJ - 04-07-2017

And the hits just keep on coming. GQ has been good. Just picked up a new blaster and got an Alex Bregman green /99 fortune teller card. I was a little underwhelmed with the box in general .... until i looked at the back of the Mike Trout card ... and it was the Bubble Gum variant. That was better than I expected.
(I think I'm gonna try for the full set of GQ this year. )