Beckett Message Boards
Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 (/thread-1606199.html)

Pages: 1 2

Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - garpay - 02-07-2017

This is a request for opinion and information concerning Topps Baseball cards from 1955/56 that were cut down to fit the size of the (then) new 1957 Topps cards.
Is there any market for these cards, some of which are stars/HOFers, or are they just to be tossed because of the defacement?
My only excuse is that my collecting buddy did it when we were really young, and being the follower that I am, I did it too. Sigh.

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - flamethrower - 02-07-2017

ouch!

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - zeprock - 02-07-2017

Those of us who grew up in the 50s and 60s had no idea what the value of those cards would one day be worth. I put my 1969 Mantle in my typewriter and typed "Retired" right across the front of it. Sad We live and we learn. However a 1956 Topps Mantle in poor condition is still worth about $150, a lot less than it could potentially be worth were it in better condition but worth more than 95% of the cards you'd pull from a pack of Topps today. Don't throw them away. I myself would rather have a card in poor condition than not have it at all.

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - djohn - 02-07-2017

I am sure there is still a market for the cards, particularly the cards of big name stars. People are always interested in big name star cards from the 50s regardless of condition of the card. As for value, the value will definitely have a tremendous drop from what they would be worth in unaltered condition. I wouldn't toss them, but definitely inform buyers/traders of their altered condition before making a deal to get rid of them.

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - oneofakindcards - 02-07-2017

(02-07-2017, 01:29 PM)zeprock Wrote: Those of us who grew up in the 50s and 60s had no idea what the value of those cards would one day be worth. I put my 1969 Mantle in my typewriter and typed "Retired" right across the front of it. Sad We live and we learn. However a 1956 Topps Mantle in poor condition is still worth about $150, a lot less than it could potentially be worth were it in better condition but worth more than 95% of the cards you'd pull from a pack of Topps today. Don't throw them away. I myself would rather have a card in poor condition than not have it at all.

Funny how the same remains true of today's cards... I suspect this to be a hobby constant no matter the time period or era!

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - DrMitchJ - 02-07-2017

(02-07-2017, 01:54 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: Funny how the same remains true of today's cards... I suspect this to be a hobby constant no matter the time period or era!

Nah, I'm pretty sure most of today's cards will be valueless. Look at cards from 30 years ago. Worth less than what it would cost to preserve them. Of course there are always a few select exceptions. Future HOF players, local sports celebrities, etc.

Re: cut cards from the 50's ... they're still collectible. There's certainly people that need to complete sets and inexpensive 'place holders' of key players on expensive cards will sell. Not at all the same thing, but I sold a bunch of waterlogged key issues of comicbooks for a good amount of money. I was going to toss them thinking they're valueless, but a buddy said to put them on eBay with BINs and they sold in 5 minutes of going live. To a set collector, filling holes in the set is pure joy, even if its eventually going to be upgraded.

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - oneofakindcards - 02-07-2017

(02-07-2017, 08:39 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Nah, I'm pretty sure most of today's cards will be valueless. Look at cards from 30 years ago. Worth less than what it would cost to preserve them. Of course there are always a few select exceptions. Future HOF players, local sports celebrities, etc.

Re: cut cards from the 50's ... they're still collectible. There's certainly people that need to complete sets and inexpensive 'place holders' of key players on expensive cards will sell. Not at all the same thing, but I sold a bunch of waterlogged key issues of comicbooks for a good amount of money. I was going to toss them thinking they're valueless, but a buddy said to put them on eBay with BINs and they sold in 5 minutes of going live. To a set collector, filling holes in the set is pure joy, even if its eventually going to be upgraded.

Yeah I agree most, and probably all of today's cards will be valueless. Either through over-production, or though future technology that will allow us to replicate anything.

I don't really care myself what happens, but I find it interesting that when people thought cards would always be valueless (in the '50s/'60s) was when they became valuable...and the opposite happened when people thought cards would be valuable (in the '80s-'10s) they became valuless.

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - DrMitchJ - 02-08-2017

(02-07-2017, 10:14 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: Yeah I agree most, and probably all of today's cards will be valueless. Either through over-production, or though future technology that will allow us to replicate anything.
I don't really care myself what happens, but I find it interesting that when people thought cards would always be valueless (in the '50s/'60s) was when they became valuable...and the opposite happened when people thought cards would be valuable (in the '80s-'10s) they became valuless.

That's why they're valuable ... people threw them out, taped them to the wall, wrapped rubberbands around them, flipped'em, stored them in cigar boxes ... etc. few survived, and those that did ... few were still in 'mint' condition. Once people started taking care of them and Mom didn't toss them into the trash when Son went to college or into the Army ... that's when they lost value. Supply & Demand. More survive= more supply= less demand.

Find something that nobody thinks has any value today, and THAT is the next big thing 30 years from now.
Rotary phones? VHS tapes? CDs & DVDs? 1st gen iPods? Who knows? But its out there. Smile

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - zeprock - 02-08-2017

(02-08-2017, 02:10 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Find something that nobody thinks has any value today, and THAT is the next big thing 30 years from now.
Rotary phones? VHS tapes? CDs & DVDs? 1st gen iPods? Who knows? But its out there. Smile

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-szjN_MdA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-szjN_MdA</a>

RE: Cut Down Topps Baseball from 1955 and 1956 - DrMitchJ - 02-09-2017

(02-08-2017, 09:07 AM)zeprock Wrote: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-szjN_MdA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-szjN_MdA</a>

LOL