Beckett Message Boards
New to Beckett and New to Collecting - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: New to Beckett and New to Collecting (/thread-1605627.html)

Pages: 1 2

New to Beckett and New to Collecting - MichaelSmith87 - 01-07-2017

Hey guys, this is my first post and I just wanted to say hey and introduce myself.

I am new to collecting cards -- getting a really, REALLY late start (almost 30) -- and thought it would be smart to sign up here at Beckett and join the community. None of my family or friends really collect cards so I have been in hardcore "try to learn everything I possibly can on my own" mode and it's been a little overwhelming to say the least.

I've only really been collecting since last summer and I've primarily been focusing on football cards as that's my favorite sport. I do like basketball and baseball, but football is at the top of my list. My collection thus far isn't very large, in fact, it's practically non-existent -- maybe getting close to 600 in total. Due to finances, my collection is accumulating at the rate of a lazy, slacker sloth who is addicted to hibernating.

The purchases that I have made have kinda been all over the place -- not sticking with one product -- being new to the hobby I've been stuck in "kid in the candy store" mentality and everything is just kinda awesome so I see something new and shiny and I just go after it... And I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm sure that doesn't help. So yeah, that's kinda where things are right now.

Anyways if you guys have any tips or suggestions that you could pass along to a rookie like me, I'd be very grateful. Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of the community!

Cheers!

-Michael

RE: New to Beckett and New to Collecting - jeremy7269 - 01-07-2017

Michael

Welcome to cardboard insanity! I'm 38 and have been collecting 27 years.

The first bit of advice is that it's your money going into your collection so collect in a way that makes you happy. If you collect according to the opinions of others, you can find yourself frustrated. I say this from personal experience.

Getting involved in this hobby at your age is a blessing in disguise in my opinion. I think you have a great opportunity to pin point and set a foundation to your collecting method.

I will add to your thread later on some thoughts and things to consider. These things will just be my opinions and experiences.

You know what they say about opinions. Opinions are like armpits, we all have a couple and sometimes they stink..haha.

Jeremy

RE: New to Beckett and New to Collecting - savagenate - 01-07-2017

Welcome!

Hey, 600 is nothing to sneeze at! Like Jeremy said, figure out what you like, and go with it. It's tough to stick to any one thing, if you're like me lol. I mainly focus on completing rainbows (all the base/parallels of a specific player from a specific product). My budget doesn't allow me to drop money on star and rookie autos often. I like the chase and satisfaction of completing the collections. Others only collect Aaron Rodgers rookie autos. Or stars from a school, place, etc. I liked looking at other peoples collections. Helped me figure out what I wanted to do. Many of us have threads in this forum where we show off our collections, if you care to look.

Do what you can, with what you can, and enjoy Smile

RE: New to Beckett and New to Collecting - MichaelSmith87 - 01-07-2017

Hey jeremy7269 and savagenate, thanks for your responses and welcoming me to the community. And I'd absolutely care to take a look at others' collections. I don't have any friends or family that are really into the hobby so I've never had the opportunity of seeing someone else's collection. I agree that it might help me get a better idea of what kind of things I'd like to collect because in all honesty I don't really know what's all out there. I've kinda just been stuck buying stuff from the local Target and going based off their selection which is pretty pathetic, at least when it comes to sports cards -- they have a ridiculous selection of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! cards that dwarf the sports section.

So where do I go to check out members' collections? If I wanted to show off stuff from my collection, not that I have anything worth showing at the moment -- but for future reference, where would I post that? Keep in mind I'm brand new to being apart of a forum, in fact, this thread was my very first post on any forum ever! I know, I've been living under quite the rock. Which reminds me, how do you make a signature to all your posts? I'd like to have one, but have no idea how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, thanks again for the hospitality and I look forward to seeing you guys around the board!

Cheers!

Michael,

You can click on the link below that says "My Bucket" to look at my collection. This website is Photo bucket and you can use this site
later to share your cards as well. Create an account on photo bucket and then you upload scans or pictures. Once you do that, let us know and we can go through the steps of sharing the pictures on this forum.

(01-07-2017, 01:35 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: Michael,

You can click on the link below that says "My Bucket" to look at my collection. This website is Photo bucket and you can use this site
later to share your cards as well. Create an account on photo bucket and then you upload scans or pictures. Once you do that, let us know and we can go through the steps of sharing the pictures on this forum.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to get on that. I have nothing really exciting to show yet, so maybe I'll have to make an album on Photo Bucket of my favorite base cards and inserts that I have for now. I took a look at your Bucket and was amazed. You have a very nice collection of Greats. I especially like the Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson cards! I'm a lifelong Raiders fan so seeing those was like looking at the Holy Grail, I was practically drooling!

Thanks again for the info and letting me take a peek at your collection, it was pretty inspiring.

Cheers!

Michael, thank you for the compliments. The Charles Woodson was something I was trying to get for years and I haven't had it very long.

From a hobby stand point, Raiders fans have a lot of players in 2016 products. Carr, Cooper, Bo, Marcus Allen ....

(01-07-2017, 03:30 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: Michael, thank you for the compliments. The Charles Woodson was something I was trying to get for years and I haven't had it very long.

From a hobby stand point, Raiders fans have a lot of players in 2016 products. Carr, Cooper, Bo, Marcus Allen ....

Well I'm glad you finally got the Charles Woodson card, Congrats! It is pretty epic! Yeah, I've been really excited about the Raiders stuff this year, but unfortunately I have not had the luck of pulling anything Raiders yet, hell, I'd be excited to pull some Raider base cards. In fact, I actually just broke down and bought a few items on eBay yesterday. A couple DeAndre Washington RPSs, a Karl Joseph Cinematic Signature, and a Khalil Mack Monumental Memorabilia! I have never bought cards off of eBay, so I'm actually a little nervous but luckily the sellers had good ratings and the cards were pretty inexpensive so if anything goes south I'm only out like $20, including shipping, for everything. I've also recently just learned about box/case breaks but have never participated in one, but I have been watching them on YouTube. It sounds weird, but when I watch them, I always pretend I'm the guy who gets the Raiders cards and I go nuts when one gets pulled -- I kinda live vicariously through that individual.

If you ever have any spare or crap Raiders base that you don't want please let me know, I would be up for trading -- not that I really have anything worth trading at this point -- but maybe in the future.

Thanks again for letting me see your awesome collection!

Cheers!

RE: New to Beckett and New to Collecting - StylinDylan7 - 01-07-2017

You dont have to limit yourself to walmart or target for boxes. I can get older hobby boxes online for pretty cheap. Like dacardworld steel city collectibles or blow out cards online. Thats where I get mine from. They offer shipping deals and sales and have big selections.

(01-07-2017, 05:58 PM)StylinDylan7 Wrote: You dont have to limit yourself to walmart or target for boxes. I can get older hobby boxes online for pretty cheap. Like dacardworld steel city collectibles or blow out cards online. Thats where I get mine from. They offer shipping deals and sales and have big selections.

Thanks for the info! I'll check those sites out!