Beckett Message Boards
How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? (/thread-1603649.html)

Pages: 1 2

How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - sshissler - 08-22-2016

I have $125 in gift cards on Amazon and was going to try to pickup the last Ernie Banks card I need to complete all of his regular topps issued cards. A 1961 Topps #575 All Star card.

I found a PSA 9 with the (MC - Miscut) qualifier. I was pleasantly surprised to see the price of $109.99 until I realized the qualifier.

My question is, do certain qualifiers affect the price of a card more than others? I want all my Banks cards in BVG holders, so if I get it I'll probably be sending it in to Beckett. I'm curious if they think the card was modified after it released if they will even grade and slab it since they don't really have qualifiers like PSA.

Any thoughts from the experts out there?

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - bamyanks - 08-23-2016

The rule of thumb I was told is for any qualifier, price at a grade lower. So for your 9 MC, that would make the pricing under an 8.

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - sshissler - 08-23-2016

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone have a clue as whether or not BGS would grade a card that has been miscut?

(08-23-2016, 12:17 AM)bamyanks Wrote: The rule of thumb I was told is for any qualifier, price at a grade lower. So for your 9 MC, that would make the pricing under an 8.

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - djohn - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 07:54 AM)sshissler Wrote: Anyone have a clue as whether or not BGS would grade a card that has been miscut?
Not sure, but I would be leery of buying it if your intent is to get it graded by BGS. There is a big chance that Beckett could send the card back as "altered" and not grade it at all. On top of that, you might try to resubmit it to PSA and get the same response, so I definitely wouldn't buy it if you plan on regrading it, as once you break it out of the case you may have lost a lot of value on it that you might never get back.

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - sshissler - 08-23-2016

Good point, thank you! I think I'll pass and look for another.

(08-23-2016, 10:09 AM)djohn Wrote: Not sure, but I would be leery of buying it if your intent is to get it graded by BGS. There is a big chance that Beckett could send the card back as "altered" and not grade it at all. On top of that, you might try to resubmit it to PSA and get the same response, so I definitely wouldn't buy it if you plan on regrading it, as once you break it out of the case you may have lost a lot of value on it that you might never get back.

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - bigace2222 - 08-28-2016

The qualifier actually drops the card down 2 grades

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - bamyanks - 08-28-2016

(08-28-2016, 03:10 AM)bigace2222 Wrote: The qualifier actually drops the card down 2 grades

On all qualifiers?? I heard 1 grade on OC, and just the way the person explained it to me, that's for all qualifiers. So is there a variance between them?

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - bigace2222 - 08-28-2016

I always went with the 2 grade drop, I know that sellers will always fight for the higher price. So i went back and found the article.

So i went back to the "Sport Market Report" When it comes to pricing, there is no general rule that can be applied to cards that exhibit qualifiers such as OC (off-center), PD (print defect), or ST(stain). It really turns on the eye appeal of the card and the inherent difficulty of the issue. For example since a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr rookie card is relatively easy to obtain free of qualifiers, one of these cards would drop in market value significantly if any qualifier is present. The value would drop as much as 1-2 grades at a minimum, in terms of value. In other words, a PSA Mint 9OC would probably sell between PSA NM 7 and PSA NM-MT 8 value. On the other hand, there are issues that are so difficult in high-grade that the qualifier, depending on the type and the severity, would not lower the value greatly. For example a 1954 Wilson Franks card with an OC designation may not be severely affected since that issue is extraordinarily difficult to find nicely centered. In addition, the degree of the qualifier can also be a factor. A PSA 8OC 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #144 that features 75/25 centering will usually carry more value than on featuring 90/10 centering. This is also true for other qualified cards, like cards exhibiting stains or print defects. Severity is the key. The more the qualifier hinders eye-appeal, the more the value will suffer.

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - bamyanks - 08-29-2016

But they don't specifically say 2 grades though, as I read it?

RE: How does a PSA Qualifier affect value? - richk - 08-29-2016

Sometimes the difference is negligible so while the rule of thumb is 2 grades. sometimes 1 grade is all that comes off. So you can't make a hard and fast rule on this but you can create a pattern.