Beckett Message Boards
Collecting vs. Investing - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Collecting vs. Investing (/thread-1592752.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Collecting vs. Investing - scottbdoug - 05-09-2016

Quote:Sorry bud, but your about 20 years behind in the industry. If you asked, 99% of collectors will tell you they chase big dollar cards and constantly try to trade up to increase the value of their collections. And why would we do this? Because ultimately nearly everyone see's a dollar sign attached to each and every card they own. And while I agree that every dollar people throw at their collection isn't initially meant for investing, virtually every collector tries to angle for cards that they believe will increase in value with the sole purpose of future sales or getting more in trade for card "x" than what they have in to it. Investing.

This was an answer i received in a discussion with Hofcollector in another trade. Since I don't really invest in sports cards, anyone who was around collecting in the mid to late 80s into the mid 90s would know why (investors lost their shirts because of large production amounts from the card companies).

But perhaps these days that debacle is just another chapter in a long past history of the hobby. Personally I still think people are collectors first and if they have investing in mind it is a small % of why they collect sports cards. It's one of the reasons I assume when people speak of their cards they refer to them as their PC (personal collection) not their PI (personal investments).

But I could be wrong. So I thought I would do and impromptu poll of Beckett Forum readers to she what's the what (vote at the top of this post).

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - djohn - 05-09-2016

The 2 options are tough, because I do both and the wording is a bit loose. While I collect my favorite players and put together sets, I also like knowing that the cards are worth money and can be resold down the road. Maybe if the poll allowed for multiple selections, and you had a list of things like "collect favorite player or team", "build sets", "gamble on packs/boxes", "speculate on prospects", "look at cards as an investment", etc. then you might get a little more out of the poll.
I saw your discussion with HOFcollector in the other thread, but decided not to chime in there as I believe neither of you are right. I believe there is a good mix of true collectors and investors, however more and more collectors are dabbling in the investing side of things. Though I say investing somewhat loosely, as I believe a lot of people are gambling more than truly investing. Every time someone buys a pack or box, unless they are just doing it to put the set together (which very few people do anymore), they are essentially gambling, hoping they get a big hit or something they can use as trade bait.
You are right that card collecting has changed quite a bit from the 80s and 90s. Back then everyone saw the value of cards from the 50s and 60s rising and in turn thought the same would happen for modern cards at the time. Of course, with more and more people collecting the card manufacturers started making more and more cards (rather than keep the demand high, they just kept printing to keep the supply above the demand). Of course as those 100 card lots of base cards ended up not increasing in value, a lot of the people started dropping out. The baseball strike in the mid-90s also hurt things quite a bit. Almost 10 years later began the big homerun chases and inclusion of game used memorabilia, low serial numbered cards and autographs (at decent odds), and that fueled the market for a few years. Of course PED allegations hurt things, but mostly it just further hurt the overproduced rookies of the 80s and 90s stars that were part of the allegations. After a few more years things evolved again as pack/box prices started rising and people began joining box breaks with the lure of hitting big at a fraction of the cost of a box. At the same time, card grading has exploded (it started in the late 90s, and has been increasing ever since), and this has lead to increased interest in vintage graded cards as well as modern cards with high grades (i.e. 9.5 and 10). While you still have true collectors, there are more and more people collecting simply for the chance of gambling on a box break, speculating on prospects, or investing in graded vintage.

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - ne12bc12 - 05-09-2016

I've been following that conversation. Here's my problem with your poll though; What if I like both answers? First thought that comes to my mind is that I am a collector first and I really get annoyed with card investors. With that being said though, who the hell doesn't like something that becomes worth more money? I never open a box or case of cards thinking I'm going to get my money back, but I don't know any collector that isn't happy with pulling the hottest card out of that box or case. Even if you resell or trade that card to get a card that better fits your personal collection, at that point, you have invested however remained true to your core roots as a player, team, or set collector.

Being honest, I don't think that this poll fits the conversation you and Matt are having.

I often make the joke that my collection will be left to my daughters when I pass and will be sold for $25.00 in a yard sale. If that happens it happens. But maybe, just maybe, I'll be leaving them something to treasure or something that turns into some money for something else that they want or need. So I guess I'm hoping to leave them some memories and maybe collect on their own (collecting) or I have left them something that isn't useless and they can get some money out of it (investing).

I have chosen not to answer your poll because I would need to pick both answers.

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - rmpaq5 - 05-09-2016

I guess I would be the 1%. I don't sell cards, never sold a card, nor intend to. Also if it is a card I need for my collection I'll acquire it as it becomes available in a trade, on COMC or found in a box at a show. Noe that being said if I am at a show and a larger value card I need is there I will get it rather than several smaller value items, but not because it is a "Big Dollar Card" but because by nature these cards are rarer and don't come up often. If I don't get it then could be a while before I get another chance.
A Miggy Patch card or a 1995 Donruss #85 Travis Fryman are the same to me...Tiger cards I don't have.

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - scottbdoug - 05-09-2016

the "mostly" in the question is the key word. i meant it that probably people buy cards thinking of the price of the cards to go up ( investing) but mostly because the like collecting them. others will only collect cards just because they think they will rise in price and their collection is more like a portfolio of investments rather than a PC. which do u mostly do?
(05-09-2016, 08:31 AM)djohn Wrote: The 2 options are tough, because I do both and the wording is a bit loose. While I collect my favorite players and put together sets, I also like knowing that the cards are worth money and can be resold down the road. Maybe if the poll allowed for multiple selections, and you had a list of things like "collect favorite player or team", "build sets", "gamble on packs/boxes", "speculate on prospects", "look at cards as an investment", etc. then you might get a little more out of the poll.
I saw your discussion with HOFcollector in the other thread, but decided not to chime in there as I believe neither of you are right. I believe there is a good mix of true collectors and investors, however more and more collectors are dabbling in the investing side of things. Though I say investing somewhat loosely, as I believe a lot of people are gambling more than truly investing. Every time someone buys a pack or box, unless they are just doing it to put the set together (which very few people do anymore), they are essentially gambling, hoping they get a big hit or something they can use as trade bait.
You are right that card collecting has changed quite a bit from the 80s and 90s. Back then everyone saw the value of cards from the 50s and 60s rising and in turn thought the same would happen for modern cards at the time. Of course, with more and more people collecting the card manufacturers started making more and more cards (rather than keep the demand high, they just kept printing to keep the supply above the demand). Of course as those 100 card lots of base cards ended up not increasing in value, a lot of the people started dropping out. The baseball strike in the mid-90s also hurt things quite a bit. Almost 10 years later began the big homerun chases and inclusion of game used memorabilia, low serial numbered cards and autographs (at decent odds), and that fueled the market for a few years. Of course PED allegations hurt things, but mostly it just further hurt the overproduced rookies of the 80s and 90s stars that were part of the allegations. After a few more years things evolved again as pack/box prices started rising and people began joining box breaks with the lure of hitting big at a fraction of the cost of a box. At the same time, card grading has exploded (it started in the late 90s, and has been increasing ever since), and this has lead to increased interest in vintage graded cards as well as modern cards with high grades (i.e. 9.5 and 10). While you still have true collectors, there are more and more people collecting simply for the chance of gambling on a box break, speculating on prospects, or investing in graded vintage.

djohn makes a great obsevation here and i think i would agree with him. especially on the gambling rather than investing part. if i could better arrange my thought during the discussion it would have been a point to make in my discussion with hofcollector.

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - Phillies_Joe - 05-09-2016

I voted two because that is what I mostly do. Every time any one of us buys a pack/box/case we gamble, each card we add to our collection is an investment in our time/energy/money. I too saw the conversation in the ebay thread and think most folks still collect to collect, but try to collect cards that will hold some value...ie non-base modern cards. Myself, aside from my Phillies PC, (which is all encompassing...ie I grab what I can afford) I collect cards/sets which appeal to me visually more than anything.

Like djohn suggested......I think your poll should have more choices with different wording so you can really get more responses to answer your true question/validate your point that 99% is an incorrect number.

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - JRMdawg311 - 05-09-2016

I'd fit into that 1% as well but I think it's more like 10% or so. I team collect and set collect with almost all other cards becoming trade bait. A majority of current collectors (about 80%) seem to be chasing the next big player (Trout, Harper, Bryant, Correa, etc...) Causing prices on those players to become bordering ridiculous (as though they were already HOFer's). Honestly, I believe this inflated pricing on over hyped prospects is what carries this hobby today. As much as I like to roll my eyes at it, I do enjoy hitting one of those players and trading them away for team player needs. The other 10% are the Hall of Fame and vintage collectors (the smart investors).
Not much of a fan of the "trading up" mentality. It implies that someone is getting the short end of a deal and you're stepping on someone to better your own PC. I'd rather trade fairly where both parties are equally satisfied with the trade (ie: my team needs for your team needs).
I do think set builders are 1%. I mean who really wants a bulky complete set of mostly commons?
I still do Wink

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - jeremy7269 - 05-09-2016

I am 37 and been in the hobby for 25+ years. I used to collect favorite players and teams. I hit the point when I got frustrated with thousands of cards that were not worth anything. I got married and started a family. After that my collecting outlook changed. I no longer buy wax, prospects, or rookies.
I buy singles of HOFers or future HOFers that have a better chance of maintaining their value.
If you want to call that investing and not collecting, so be it. I want a collection that my wife could sell if something happened to me.

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - Hofcollector - 05-09-2016

Im going to keep my comments to a minimum because everyone already knows my pov. Obviously 99% was an exaggeration, but it's the majority in my mind to one degree or another. I like Djohn as he always has something to contribute and is a fair trader but as he pointed out, we don't always agree. He mentioned that people may be more gambling at times than investing. My point is that's all that investing is. Gambling. There are no guarantees or sure things in investing. You take the same chances opening wax as you do buying stock. You put your money towards something in hopes of a large return. There seems to be this idea that your not investing unless your making money or that as soon as you decide to invest that automatically guarantees your going to profit from it. In most cases your not. If it were that easy everyone would do it. I don't mean to say were all prospectors but I do whole heartedly believe that most modern collectors do their thing with the money aspect in the back of their minds and those that don't eventually evolve into chasing higher dollar cards because of the excitement and the realization that good money is involved. The promise of a hefty pay day is quite an intoxicating feeling.

Also, I never said we couldn't be both. Just that the investing or money aspect plays into it heftily these days.

RE: Collecting vs. Investing - djohn - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 04:26 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: I like Djohn as he always has something to contribute and is a fair trader but as he pointed out, we don't always agree. He mentioned that people may be more gambling at times than investing. My point is that's all that investing is. Gambling.
I think there is a bit of semantics going on. You are correct that investing is very similar to gambling, but there are some fine details differentiating the two. Here is a great article that ultimately highlights the nuances and differences between investing and gambling, as well as pointing out that speculating is a variation of the two.
http://www.investorguide.com/article/12525/what-is-the-difference-between-gambling-and-investing/

Yes, they are technically very similar but the perceptions and nuance difference between gambling and investing are worth noting as 2 separate things.