Beckett Message Boards
Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? (/thread-1587467.html)

Pages: 1 2

Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - jeremy7269 - 04-07-2016

With the pass happy league, deemphasizing the running backs, I find myself appreciating more the great backs of the past.

Emmitt
Barry
Faulk
LT
Jim Brown
Earl Campbell
Jerome Bettis
Thurman Thomas
Even Eddie george

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - maizenblue73175 - 04-07-2016

I HEAR YOU. NOWADAYS A 2 OR 3 BACK RB BY COMMITTEE IS NOT FUN TO WATCH AT ALL. IT DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO HAVE A FAVORITE RB. A.P. MIGHT BE THE LAST TRUE RB IN THE NFL. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH BARRY MAKE SO MANY DEFENDERS MISS. IT WAS REALLY FUN TO WATCH EMMITT RUN BEHIND THE BEST OFFENSIVE LINE IN THE 1990S. SADLY I DID NOT GET TO SEE EARL CAMPBELL OR JIM BROWN RUN.

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - dmasci - 04-08-2016

I agree 100%, I miss watching the RBs running over and around defenders as well as a middle linebacker ringing a RBs bell......basically I miss the old football!

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - jplarson - 04-08-2016

I miss seeing more of the "workhorse" type running backs, but I enjoy the vertical passing game more in the NFL. Though that's when they do make those longer passes and not the dink and dunk screens which bored me to tears with Bear offenses during the 90s/00s.

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - jfrench91 - 04-10-2016

I miss ladainian Tomlinson,willis mcgahee even jamal lewis

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - Marinocollector - 04-10-2016

Um... Barry Sanders was a "running back by committee"

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - jephthah1 - 04-11-2016

Heck yeah! There is nothing like seeing a guy drag half the defense down the field, a la Earl Campbell. And I wish we still had guys like Alstott and Bettis who punished people for daring to tackle them.

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - savagenate - 04-11-2016

LaDainian Tomlinson was probably my favorite RB to watch, I was a bit young for Emmitt and Barry. I don't remember them. Tomlinson was so much fun to watch. Wicked moves, and was still willing to run over people when he needed to. Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, and Steven Davis were fun to watch. I think we'll still see a RB here and there get to be "the guy". Gurley might be one, Bell if he could stay healthy. I'm looking forward to next years batch as well.

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - coltsfansince85 - 04-11-2016

I think RB by committee has been a positive thing, overall- it's helped unearth some gems and increased longevity of some backs. There are still some "feature" backs- I think Lynch, McCoy, Foster, AP, Murray, and Gore fit that mold. I definitely prefer the feature back element of the game, though. Aside from the league moving to a more pass-oriented style of play, it's "better business" to nab a serviceable back (or two) later in the draft and let them compete for snaps... if they pan out, great; if not, you didn't have too much invested.

RE: Hey Old Timers --- do you miss old running backs? - jonathani - 04-12-2016

(04-07-2016, 08:26 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: With the pass happy league, deemphasizing the running backs, I find myself appreciating more the great backs of the past.

Emmitt
Barry
Faulk
LT
Jim Brown
Earl Campbell
Jerome Bettis
Thurman Thomas
Even Eddie george

Can I add "Sweetness"?