Beckett Message Boards
Ethical question on busting wax - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Ethical question on busting wax (/thread-1579003.html)

Ethical question on busting wax - jeremy7269 - 11-22-2015

Haven't busted a case in years. But for those who do, I have a question.

If you get the case hit on the first box, is it wrong to sell the remaining boxes?

Part of me says its smart because you got the case hit and can recoup some of the cost by selling the remaining unopened boxes.

Part of me says its wrong because you're almost selling false hope.

What do you think?

RE: Ethical question on busting wax - jplarson - 11-22-2015

I suppose how would you feel on the receiving end if you were to buy a box knowing the case hit wasn't in there? Personally I don't buy boxes looking for a case hit, if that's something I want I'll buy a single. You could always cover yourself by stating that the case hit was already found but who knows if your particular case didn't have <i>two</i> cards that would be considered a case hit.

What I think is more wrong is when people sell packs knowing box hits are gone. It still burns me at a local card shop that a box of 2013 Strata had 21 packs (of 24 in the box with a stated 3 hits per box) and I didn't pull anything in those 21 packs. Caused me to never buy packs from them unless they open up a fresh box in front of me. This is from the same lcs that always solid Topps Finest by the pack and there would always be 5 packs left in each mini-box containing 6 packs....

RE: Ethical question on busting wax - butterworth1326 - 11-22-2015

If a case hit was what I was going for and the seller told me the case hit was already found, I wouldn't buy one. We're talking getting an Elway auto vs. 2 nobody autos and 2 worthless memorabilia cards in most cases.

RE: Ethical question on busting wax - c squared - 11-22-2015

I didn't figure this out until I was a teenager, but I spent my entire childhood was spent opening Target boxes that had been purchased, opened, resealed, and returned, so this is a sore spot for me... that being said, I don't see why store owners should have to discount their inventory because they were unfortunate enough to sell a pack with a hit early on.

RE: Ethical question on busting wax - jonathani - 11-22-2015

Jerks do it all the time, but it's still wrong if you don't tell everyone you already grabbed the hit.

RE: Ethical question on busting wax - bojesphob - 11-22-2015

I would say that even thought you pulled the case hit, there could still be some really good hits in the rest of the boxes. My thought would be to offer the boxes for about a 25% discount and mention that the case hit was pulled from a different box in the case.

RE: Ethical question on busting wax - sparty78 - 11-22-2015

I used to to do shows 2-3 weekends per month with direct accounts to all the major manufactures. As a wax dealer you cannot open your inventory! If someone got a great card at your table it would increase my sales. If someone did get a case hit it may slow down that product some but people would still buy other products knowing you had not cherry picked your packs. I was always amazed at the number of people that would want to sell back their inserts and hits for more packs. Most of my regular customers would know when the big hit was already bought so I would often lower the price on those packs.

RE: Ethical question on busting wax - butterworth1326 - 11-22-2015

When I was buying hobby boxes from a LCS. He started off letting me go through and pick. I was very novice but even I could tell the hit packs. Then he started letting me pick pack numbers and he would grab them, again, not hard to get the hit pattern, then he started mixing up the packs and putting them back. After a few months, i wasn't getting anymore hits.. So one day I bought the rest of an opened certified box that had 4 hits and lone behold those were the 4 packs missing. So ever since I told him, he started pulling them out himself and screwing customers. I have yet to buy a box or hobby pack since (2011)

RE: Ethical question on busting wax - rjcj2017 - 11-23-2015

You're technically not under any obligation. A box of cards is a box of cards, and as long as you haven't tampered with the other unopended boxes in any way, you are delivering what the person paid for.

Having said that, the honorable/moral thing to do would be to say in the description, "boxes are not from sealed/fresh cases."

So if a "case hit collector" contacts you and asks, you can tell him the truth.

If it's just a grandma buying a box for her grandson, she won't know or care about the difference anyway, but you've still covered your bases.

Depends what it is, too ... if it's base Topps, chances are most people are just collecting the sets or rookie cards and not necessarily the hits.

If it's a hit-driven product (Certified, etc.), you should definitely mention it.