Beckett Message Boards
Fun card of the day - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Fun card of the day (/thread-1578250.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/8 - nolan5000 - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 02:03 PM)djohn Wrote: In the early 90s the collecting world started to go nuts for promo cards. As they were perceived to be more limited and rare than the rest of the cards available at the time. In 1990 Donruss issued promotional preview cards to delaers, in order to try and generate more sales. In 1991 Donruss took things a step further and included preview cards for their later year releases (Studio and Leaf) in the basic Donruss factory sets. When these sets arrived and the preview cards started to hit the secondary market their value shot up and the sets were quickly bought up and opened to get the preview cards out. What made it more fun was that each set only contained 4 of the preview cards, so you would have to open several sets to try and put together a set. This was a smart move on Donruss's part as they probably sold more factory sets that year than any other year. As the 90s promo card fad started to fade, so did the value for these preview cards. I chose the 1991 Leaf Preview card of Nolan Ryan because it has a great photo of him, and is a completely different photo than the one used in the 1991 Leaf set. Aside from the different photo, the card is easily identifiable by the "1991 Preview Card" printed across the back.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

I have this card in BGS 9 condition with none higher.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/8 - waynetalger - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 02:10 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: I have this card in BGS 9 condition with none higher.
Out of my extensive Ryan collection I only have 2. I may need to grade one of them
the base card I have 30 of.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/9 - djohn - 11-10-2015

In 1992 Coca Cola partnered with Donruss to include a pack of cards along with a special Nolan Ryan card inside of 12 packs of Coke products. I remember this all too well, as I remember buying 12 pack after 12 pack trying to put the set together. I believe you could also send away for the complete set, but that's not nearly as fun as opening packs. I picked card #26 from the set for today, as it shows Nolan in his cowboy gear sitting with a dog, truly an "every man" pose.
[Image: front.jpg]

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/9 - nolan5000 - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 11:35 AM)djohn Wrote: In 1992 Coca Cola partnered with Donruss to include a pack of cards along with a special Nolan Ryan card inside of 12 packs of Coke products. I remember this all too well, as I remember buying 12 pack after 12 pack trying to put the set together. I believe you could also send away for the complete set, but that's not nearly as fun as opening packs. I picked card #26 from the set for today, as it shows Nolan in his cowboy gear sitting with a dog, truly an "every man" pose.
[Image: front.jpg]

POST 4,434

You're in my wheelhouse now, with all the Nolans that you're doing.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/10 - djohn - 11-10-2015

I debated about doing another Nolan Ryan, as I didn't want to saturate the thread with a single player, but this set came to mind the other day and I wanted to show it before I forgot about it. Tomorrow's card will definitely be someone other than Nolan Ryan.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/10 - djohn - 11-11-2015

In 1994 Topps issued pre-production promo cards to dealers as well as including them in certain factory sets of 1993 Topps. However what some people don't realize (as Beckett doesn't distinguish it) is that the 2 versions are different. In fact, the dealer promo cards are much tougher to find than the ones included in factory sets, though Beckett doesn't list them separately so their book value is the same. Most of the cards have very subtle differences, like a different color in the border or name of the player. However 2 cards have very noticeable differences: Nolan Ryan and George Brett. One card is vertically oriented (the dealer promo) and the other is horizontally oriented (the ones in the factory set). Beckett does list the 2 different Nolan Ryan cards, but oddly it doesn't even mention the 2nd George Brett, or any of the other slight variations. For today's card I am going to present the George Brett card that was included in the factory sets. It's the more common one found, but the one from the dealer promo looks just like his regular 1994 Topps card (except it has a white box stating that it's a pre-production sample).

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/10 - nolan5000 - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 02:00 PM)djohn Wrote: In 1994 Topps issued pre-production promo cards to dealers as well as including them in certain factory sets of 1993 Topps. However what some people don't realize (as Beckett doesn't distinguish it) is that the 2 versions are different. In fact, the dealer promo cards are much tougher to find than the ones included in factory sets, though Beckett doesn't list them separately so their book value is the same. Most of the cards have very subtle differences, like a different color in the border or name of the player. However 2 cards have very noticeable differences: Nolan Ryan and George Brett. One card is vertically oriented (the dealer promo) and the other is horizontally oriented (the ones in the factory set). Beckett does list the 2 different Nolan Ryan cards

I have both of the Nolans BGS Graded. I was very instrumental in getting the 2 versions separated on the Pop. Report.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/11 - djohn - 11-12-2015

One of the funnest type of cards to collect during the late 80s and early 90s were sub-set cards. Sometimes card companies would get really creative and make really fun sub-set cards. Some people actually treated these sub-set cards like insert cards and put together sets of just a particular sub-set. Score and Pinnacle made some of my favorites during the early 90s. Typically these subset cards had less value than the players regular base card, however on occasion a subset would garner enough interest to out-value the base card. One such card that stands out to me is the 1990 Score #697 subset card of Bo Jackson. The card shows a very well known shot of Bo Jackson, that I believe was used for the Nike "Bo Knows" ad campaign. For those that collected at that time, you may remember that Score also made a dual-sport Bo Jackson card in it's 1989 Score Supplemental set. Both the 1989 Score football and 1990 Score baseball dual-sport Bo Jackson cards were 2 of the hottest card at the time. I am going to showcase both the baseball and football cards today, as it's tough to show one without showing the other.

1990 Score baseball:

1989 Score Supplemental football:

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/12 - nolan5000 - 11-12-2015

I remember the baseball one; but since I never collected football, I've never seen it.

Thanks for sharing.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/12 - rmpaq5 - 11-12-2015

It just staggers my imagination of what he could have done if not for the injuries. During the early days of Skydome my friend and I were driven to Toronto from Windsor by his aunt (about 4 hrs) to see a game at the new "Wonder of the World" The season it opened. He hit a homer to left that landed a few rows into the 500 level. During the ALDS Donaldson hit one that hit the facing of that deck if you can remember for comparison, Bo's was by far maybe the furthest I have ever seen a ball be hit as it landed at least 8 or 10 rows into the 500 level. Either that one or Cecil Fielder clearing Tiger Stadium in left field (Right field there happened a lot more often than left).