Beckett Message Boards
THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT (/thread-1575106.html)

Pages: 1 2

THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - alstott9adams - 06-11-2015

As the title stats the below story is why I LOVE THIS HOBBY

2 months ago I made a post on the boards about other members showing off there Elfrid Payton cards so that my 9 year old son could see the nice cards of his favorite player.

About 2 weeks ago I got a personal message from a member of the Beckett team named Derek. He said he had a suprise for my son and all he needed was a address and the card would be on the way.

I was totally shocked someone would do this for my son so I sent him oue address and he said he would make the package out to my son and to be on the look out for it in the next 2 weeks

Well yesterday after are short wait a package arrived from beckett. I cut the tape off for my son and let him open it. The look on his face was pricless as I watched him move the paper to the side to reveal a thick plastic case . Then his face went to pure SHOCK as he seen this beauty staring back at him

[Image: FullSizeRender_zpsvdtixkh3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5663_zpsmwomk59c.jpg]

I am a single dad and the fact that this card came out of a $500 box that I could never afford it was like a dream come true for my son. It was a dream come true for me as a dad as well you always want to put that smile on your childs face and give him that memory he will remeber when hes 35 with his kids.

And thanks to a stranger from beckett he made a memory for me and my son that will last a life time.

SO AGAIN DEREK THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME AND MY SON. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

[Image: IMG_5657_zpsjkoonb4u.jpg]

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - nickm1123 - 06-11-2015

Man what a cool story. I am glad that you are getting your son into collecting. We need more die hard collectors in this hobby. I love seeing stories like this that are positive and happy. They show what the hobby can be like.

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - jaykayzee - 06-11-2015

Nice card.

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - bonds20001 - 06-11-2015

Who says good things do not get reported....

Great story and a great memory!!!

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - dficken - 06-11-2015

I'm so happy he enjoys the card! Thank you for being such a positive influence in this hobby. Most of us started as kids watching our dads collect cards, and it is such a great thing to see these traditions continue. Here's to Elfrid potentially becoming a household name in the NBA and thank YOU for all you do!

- Derek
dficken@beckett.com

(06-11-2015, 10:31 AM)alstott9adams Wrote: As the title stats the below story is why I LOVE THIS HOBBY

2 months ago I made a post on the boards about other members showing off there Elfrid Payton cards so that my 9 year old son could see the nice cards of his favorite player.

About 2 weeks ago I got a personal message from a member of the Beckett team named Derek. He said he had a suprise for my son and all he needed was a address and the card would be on the way.

I was totally shocked someone would do this for my son so I sent him oue address and he said he would make the package out to my son and to be on the look out for it in the next 2 weeks

Well yesterday after are short wait a package arrived from beckett. I cut the tape off for my son and let him open it. The look on his face was pricless as I watched him move the paper to the side to reveal a thick plastic case . Then his face went to pure SHOCK as he seen this beauty staring back at him

[Image: FullSizeRender_zpsvdtixkh3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5663_zpsmwomk59c.jpg]

I am a single dad and the fact that this card came out of a $500 box that I could never afford it was like a dream come true for my son. It was a dream come true for me as a dad as well you always want to put that smile on your childs face and give him that memory he will remeber when hes 35 with his kids.

And thanks to a stranger from beckett he made a memory for me and my son that will last a life time.

SO AGAIN DEREK THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME AND MY SON. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

[Image: IMG_5657_zpsjkoonb4u.jpg]

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - altz11 - 06-11-2015

Very nice gesture!

I'm glad to see a father and son enjoy this hobby together. I wish I had something like that with my father growing up.

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - vgqv - 06-11-2015

Such a nice story and gesture!

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - floydtown - 06-11-2015

Awesome

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - folkertino - 06-13-2015

this is brilliant, what a great gift

RE: THIS IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ABOUT THANK YOU TO DEREK FROM BECKETT - ryanmo5 - 06-13-2015

Pretty amazing gesture, nothing better than putting a smile on our little ones faces. Just had my first but every time she smiles it just kills me, so I can imagine how great you felt when he opened it!