Beckett Message Boards
Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? (/thread-1567343.html)

Pages: 1 2

Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - nittany13 - 11-16-2014

Just to be clear, I am not referring to cards that got damaged in the mail in transit or cards that were in much worse shape than what the seller originally specified. I am specifically referring to cards that you knew beforehand were in "good" (a misnomer I think when discussing condition grading) or worse condition before purchasing. Perhaps the card was from the 1940's and hard to find in NMt condition. Maybe there are others from the modern era in better condition that you could easily purchase but did not want to because of the price tags. Or, it was a 1/1 of someone you collect and therefore the condition issue was then moot.

Speaking for myself I am thinking of purchasing some poorer condition cards from around 60 years just to own a few truly vintage items. I for one will not pay hundreds for others from that era that are graded a 7 or higher. I sure would also look past the condition issue to a certain extent if the card had a very low print run.

Has anyone ever purposely purchased a card with severe defects such as creases and rounded corners or whatever? Or there those who simply refuse to do so and never will? I am just curious.

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - jephthah1 - 11-16-2014

I never have and would probably be hard pressed to do so. I am too picky. If I run across an older card like that--one that I decide I must have--I will just save up until I can get what I want in the condition I want.

With that said, I fully understand your reasoning, and I say go for it! It is for you and your enjoyment, after all. If a grade of 3-4 or rounded corners is what will satisfy you, then snag it.

I do know of a guy who regularly purchases lower graded vintage items, and his collection is awesome!

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - mooncricket916 - 11-16-2014

Sure I have, I do that when I put together my vintage sets. Can always upgrade later if necessary.

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - johnnypen - 11-16-2014

Yes, I have done that. I started collecting vintage a couple of years ago and I think it's a great way to get started. To me, the main difference between collecting modern and vintage IS the condition issue. If I bust a box of 2013 Topps Chrome and get a card or even several packs that have print lines or damage to one of the corners, they go straight in the trash. I want my modern collection (90's - present) in perfect condition. When I look at an older card (for me, I enjoy pre-1980 football and pre-1970 baseball), that all changes. I look at it and wonder what journey it took to get from a corner drugstore in Anytown, USA to my hand in western Pa. 50 years later. How many times was it traded from one kid to another in that neighborhood before being put in a box in mom and dads attic, then sold at their yard sale 15 years later to a collector who eventually sold it to their local card shop where I found it while I was in town on vacation.... WOW, deep breath, lol. My point is that I can look past the condition simply to appreciate the history. Of course I seek out the nicest cards I can find when building my vintage Pirate and Steeler team sets, but I always keep my eye out for anything that has the right price on it. Last year I was at a show and picked up a Roberto Clemente from the early 60's. It had a BV 0f $120 and was marked for $40. I took a good look and saw the crease (nicely flattened out, but still a crease). The corners were fairly sharp and the centering was 60/40. I offered the guy $20 and he took it. I think I got a heck of a deal. It may have a crease in it, but it only visible if you take it out of its holder. It's one sweet card for the price in my opinion. I also think it's a good idea for someone just getting into vintage to start with lower grade cards because the condition has such a huge effect on the the value. What makes a $200 card become a $20 card is not always so obvious. Also, nearly every vintage collector you talk to will have a different opinion on what qualities or defects have the most bearing on the value. Corners, edges and centering are pretty obvious, but what about surface gloss? How far is the back off center? Is that a gum mark? lol Print spots, etc., etc. If you start out with cards in the vg-ex range, you can get a feel for it with minimal financial risk.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and everyone's opinion is going to be different. I will just say that I am very glad that I got into vintage. I enjoy them probably more than my modern ones. It's not all about autos, short prints and 1/1's. It's about a bunch of guys that played the game a very long time ago for very little money and were honored to have their picture put onto a card and sold with a stick of gum for a nickle. Good luck and enjoy!!

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - phinzphan1372 - 11-16-2014

(11-16-2014, 03:52 AM)mooncricket916 Wrote: Sure I have, I do that when I put together my vintage sets. Can always upgrade later if necessary.

+1 … also I have knowingly bought cards that were damaged just to try and complete a whole print run… ( i.e. … every /5 of a card) and also have knowingly bought a damaged 1/1 …. and almost every print plate has some kind of damage, and I got a ton of those!

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - savagenate - 11-16-2014

I have traded and bought some. I traded for a 1968 Starr I think. I knew what I was getting, and it was pretty beat up. Yet I wanted one, and couldn't afford something way up there. Same with some of the Rodgers RCs. Since I plan on keeping them, I'm willing to buy cards that may not be perfect since I could never afford a few hundred dollars for a single card. But that's just me. If it's an "investment" card, then it has to be as close to perfect as possible lol. And like the others said, if I want too, I can try to upgrade later, but in the meantime, I have a card I wanted Smile
And Johnnypen....never thought about it that way before, but you are right! That's an awesome thought!

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - Marinocollector - 11-17-2014

I bought a 1997 EX 2001 Marino A Cut Above with a pack crimp for $15 many moons ago to just pick the card up. I recently upgraded it. I also picked up a 2007 SPx Auto that probably only 5 or less exist (seen it on eBay twice, including mine) that had a VERY BAD corner. When I hold that one, I just cover the corner.

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - phinzphan1372 - 11-17-2014

(11-16-2014, 04:53 AM)johnnypen Wrote: It's about a bunch of guys that played the game a very long time ago for very little money and were honored to have their picture put onto a card and sold with a stick of gum for a nickle. Good luck and enjoy!!

very well said +1

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - swjrp10 - 11-17-2014

When I was collecting, that's the only way I could afford vintage. My lcs had 5 and 10 dollar boxes that were packed with cards that would normally be way out of my price range, but because they were in lesser condition I could easily afford. I built almost half of the 56 Topps baseball set that way, since commons in good condition were only a buck or less each.

I was taught that, as long as you pay the right price for the condition, you can't lose on vintage.

Case in point, when I was collecting I wanted to get a rc of every member of the baseball HOF (yes crazy I know, but doable). I was able to get a Nolan Ryan RC for 90 bucks because it had ONE minor crease down the middle.

Same with Michael Jordan, I was able to get one that had some minor condition issues for 100 bucks because it had a slight crease...I sold it for double.

RE: Ever purposely buy poorer, yet cheaper, condition cards? - djohn - 11-19-2014

Yes, I do it all the time, especially for $100+ vintage rookies when I can pick then up for pennies on the dollar due to condition. I definitely prefer getting nicer condition cards, and I try to steer clear of disastrous defects that take away from the visual appeal of the card. However if someone offered me a Bart Starr or Unitas rookie for only a couple bucks because it was severely damaged I would definitely have a hard time passing.