Beckett Message Boards
Idea to verify trade members? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Idea to verify trade members? (/thread-1566132.html)

Pages: 1 2

Idea to verify trade members? - uc7bearcat - 10-06-2014

So I am bothered by all of the good traders here who have been loosing cards and I have an idea to float by everyone. I would even volunteer to do it.

I think we should start a thread and maybe find a user or mod who will volunteer their time to get members "verified". To become verified you must send this person your address, an email address and a phone number. Said person would then exchange an email and a text with the user to verify the info is correct. From then there could be a list posted of all "verified" users. Then someone might think twice about going to the dark side if this info would be made available to the user who was ripped off.

I understand that this might not fly for some, but I would feel better about trading with someone who I knew gave their info. And I realize some will not want to do this and that's fine, we cant make them. But if you know someone is new and refused to give their info you may want to steer clear of any large trades?

Anyway just an idea.

Thoughts on this? Beckett can not police us, maybe we can police ourselves.

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - zeprock - 10-06-2014

We already have addresses on our invoices. I have been fortunate and not had any trades go (really) bad out of more than 300 I've done so far on Beckett. I have no intention of ever screwing anyone over on a trade so I would have no problem giving that info to a third party for that purpose.

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - iconms - 10-06-2014

Seems like a majority of the problems don't occur with someone who is brand new and has no references (unverified in your example) but someone who has good feedback and decides to go bad for whatever reason (verified). So you never know

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - Dub24rollin - 10-06-2014

I think we set up a a select group that will travel to their address and take care of the problem. Vigilante style lol.We could all pitch in for travel expenses.

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - SF_Giants_2014 - 10-06-2014

I'm still fairly new so, I kind of expect to send first, and for this reason I've been super picky on choosing people to trade with however, I would send first to bearcat or Zeprock any day of the week. I've been just watching who seems to be on the up and up. I've completed 4 trades, and they were all stellar! I do agree with you bearcat! If I had a verified list, I may not be as hesitant to trade with other newer members( I almost sent first to Clemmetmatthew) I would have been out a Buxton Camo auto if I would have done that it seems.. The 4 trades I have made were with members who had trades in the hundreds. I know my ORG may not have a ton of high end stuff, but the stuff I do want to trade for PC stuff, I sure as heck don't want to lose. Thank you for being proactive bearcat! I would give my info over to a MOD any time. Let's keep this site going strong! Especially now that I've joined! I really want to find that Will Clark auto I can't live without. heheheh and It would be better, if I could trade something I already have for it as well, rather than paying for it on the BAY. Thanks to all who've kept this forum strong! Keep Collecting Collectors, and GO Giants! We hopefully sweep today!!!
(10-06-2014, 12:27 PM)Dub24rollin Wrote: I think we set up a a select group that will travel to their address and take care of the problem. Vigilante style lol.We could all pitch in for travel expenses.

hahahah. Loss Prevention squad!

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - talkntribe - 10-06-2014

I have traded and dealt with a lot of awesome people on here back when I was hunting down my Manny Ramirez stuff. I think as long as the sites are free to post on threads, post certain amount of cards in organize, there will always be some bad apples. I don't think there is a way to stop it. Unless Beckett decided to charge a fee to list on Forums,etc. Then I can't see someone wanting to buy and come on here ripping people off when they know beckett has their personal info and credit card info. If you look at other places like youtube trading, facebook and Breakers.tv There is always someone out there who will get burned. I would love to trade with everyone and I think everyone deserves a chance. If they are new, I do small trades and get them to send first. Usually I send asap anyways only because I don't want people to wait. lol . If its high dollar values. I go with the guys who are proven with feedback ratings and who are really liked by many on here. Keep reporting the bad ones, leave the necessary feedbacks for all. Use caution and its about all we can do today.

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - a1c_speck - 10-06-2014

If only there was an inbetween where both traders could send their cards that could monitor the trade. i wouldn't use this for low end trades, but if I'm sending out $100+, it owuld be worth it to me to ensure I'm not being jerked around.

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - WillTheThrill22 - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 11:34 AM)uc7bearcat Wrote: Thoughts on this? Beckett can not police us, maybe we can police ourselves.

This is hands down the best suggestion to date and it has more to do with this final comment. I have quite a few ideas of my own, but I just haven't had the time to put them into a well thought out post. A version of this was on my list. The bottom line is WE have to be responsible for who with trade with and the decisions we make. This is not Beckett's issue. (I realize that this last statement is very much debatable from a legal as well as customer service standpoint, but I don't feel like getting into that debate now. So, Im just going to state my opinion and leave it at that. This is NOT Beckett's issue.) Thank you for a worthwhile suggestion.

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - talkntribe - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 12:57 PM)a1c_speck Wrote: If only there was an inbetween where both traders could send their cards that could monitor the trade. i wouldn't use this for low end trades, but if I'm sending out $100+, it owuld be worth it to me to ensure I'm not being jerked around.

Are you suggesting that we send our cards to one person and they distribute them? If so, I wouldn't do that. I'm a grown man. Regardless of dollar amount. I don't think we need a middle man here cause honestly. Anyone can turn. I've witnessed as well as some other long timers. There has been some who were awesome to deal with. Had awesome trade scores, always gave extra in trades. Never a single complaint and then one day they turned dark and started stealing and ripping people off. A couple years back people who dealt with this person couldn't believe it. So really, How can we just ship our stuff to one person and have them pass it to the other party involved. It sucks but this is a risk we all take when we do online trading. I don't want to say stick to those who you've only dealt with before because it hurts the new guys who want to come on here and trade as well. Like I said, everyone deserves a chance. Just have to be smart about it. Now adays everyone has a smartphone. Why not call each other if its a big trade. Maybe send a text photo of the cards showing they have it. I mean skype is free! Can't blame beckett or any other site used for trading. If people are really uncomfortable. Don't trade. Just buy the card online. lol I do at times.

RE: Idea to verify trade members? - jacobystealshome - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 12:23 PM)iconms Wrote: Seems like a majority of the problems don't occur with someone who is brand new and has no references (unverified in your example) but someone who has good feedback and decides to go bad for whatever reason (verified). So you never know

actually, based on stats, most bad trades are people who have 20 trades or less
(10-06-2014, 12:27 PM)Dub24rollin Wrote: I think we set up a a select group that will travel to their address and take care of the problem. Vigilante style lol.We could all pitch in for travel expenses.

that actually was my profession for a while back in my younger years (less the vigilante stuff). which i why i joke about kneecapping a lot (though to be legally clear: at no time did i ever kneecap anyone, nor intimate that i would do so in the collection of any debt owed)