Beckett Message Boards
Massive Shift In How This Site Works - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Massive Shift In How This Site Works (/thread-1566092.html)

Pages: 1 2

Massive Shift In How This Site Works - Mike7149 - 10-04-2014

Hear me out. In order to trade one must pay Beckett. Personally I do not feel the need to pay anyone for the right to trade, but that is a different story. My idea here though, is for every person that does pay, to maximize their money. Other sites, selling sites, are similar to this idea, in that they are a 3rd party service provider. What I mean by this, in regards to Beckett, is that Beckett would operate as a 3rd party for all those who desire to trade on here. If a person lists a card for trade in their organize, those cards are mailed to a Beckett location for safe keeping and storage. Now, if you're like me and need your cards handy at all times to look at, sell/trade locally etc. this idea won't work. International, and our military members here may greatly benefit from this as well though! Once all loaded cards are sent and catalogued with Beckett's 3rd party facility, trading can begin. Trading would still be be performed on here the way it is now, but when a trade is agreed upon, the cards would ship from the 3rd party Beckett location. Shipping costs would be paid for by the trading parties using paypal (sorry for those that go to the PO still, but paypal shipping is cheaper and much easier for my idea). Now, i understand that there are many caveats and likely holes in my idea, but after reading up on a lack of mods, disappearing scammers, and vanishing traders, I started to brainstorm an idea to eliminate a lot of mess, while maximizing the fact that people here pay to trade. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - bondssf2425 - 10-04-2014

Like you said there are certainly some holes to work through there but you are on to a decent idea. COMC uses the 3rd party location. I love the decreased shipping cost from a purchasing stand point. From a trading stand point I would love to only worry about receiving. My job limits me most days getting to the post office. I like it, work out the details and count me in as a small investor.

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - Mike7149 - 10-04-2014

(10-04-2014, 11:22 PM)bondssf2425 Wrote: Like you said there are certainly some holes to work through there but you are on to a decent idea. COMC uses the 3rd party location. I love the decreased shipping cost from a purchasing stand point. From a trading stand point I would love to only worry about receiving. My job limits me most days getting to the post office. I like it, work out the details and count me in as a small investor.

COMC, even though I am only somewhat familiar with, was my jumping point for this idea.

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - uc7bearcat - 10-05-2014

I for one wouldn't want to use an idea like this. I like to have my cards in case I decide to go to a show or trade locally. I also like to have the option to throw cards on ebay whenever I feel like it.

Plus for some reason I find myself looking through my cards at least once a night??

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - Mike7149 - 10-05-2014

(10-05-2014, 12:50 AM)uc7bearcat Wrote: I for one wouldn't want to use an idea like this. I like to have my cards in case I decide to go to a show or trade locally. I also like to have the option to throw cards on ebay whenever I feel like it.

Plus for some reason I find myself looking through my cards at least once a night??

Many will feel this way. Surprisingly enough though, a lot of people send off their cards for selling and never see them again.

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - zeprock - 10-05-2014

This plan wouldn't work for me either.

One. I don't use PayPal or do any online banking transactions.

Two. I trade cards through my website as much as I do through Beckett so I would need my cards on hand.

Three. I tend to throw extras into my trades. That would be difficult to do if I didn't have my cards in hand.

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - Gtbrian23 - 10-05-2014

(10-04-2014, 10:34 PM)Mike7149 Wrote: Hear me out. In order to trade one must pay Beckett. Personally I do not feel the need to pay anyone for the right to trade, but that is a different story. My idea here though, is for every person that does pay, to maximize their money. Other sites, selling sites, are similar to this idea, in that they are a 3rd party service provider. What I mean by this, in regards to Beckett, is that Beckett would operate as a 3rd party for all those who desire to trade on here. If a person lists a card for trade in their organize, those cards are mailed to a Beckett location for safe keeping and storage. Now, if you're like me and need your cards handy at all times to look at, sell/trade locally etc. this idea won't work. International, and our military members here may greatly benefit from this as well though! Once all loaded cards are sent and catalogued with Beckett's 3rd party facility, trading can begin. Trading would still be be performed on here the way it is now, but when a trade is agreed upon, the cards would ship from the 3rd party Beckett location. Shipping costs would be paid for by the trading parties using paypal (sorry for those that go to the PO still, but paypal shipping is cheaper and much easier for my idea). Now, i understand that there are many caveats and likely holes in my idea, but after reading up on a lack of mods, disappearing scammers, and vanishing traders, I started to brainstorm an idea to eliminate a lot of mess, while maximizing the fact that people here pay to trade. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I personally see nothing wrong with paying Beckett to trade on their website. They offer something not many others do. A fairly complete database where you can list every card you have which IMO streamlines the trading process. To me it is much easier than browsing a bucket then having to look up the BV on the cards in the bucket. You are paying for the simplification of the process and the service of the beckett database. It may not be perfect, but at least for me I very rarely have any issues with the organize and trading features.

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - uc7bearcat - 10-05-2014

I agree, when on other sites it is nearly impossible to pull off low end deals. I had a guy yesterday that collected Rangers and it was a deal under $8.00. I had to list a ton of cards for him to look through.

Beckett needs to improve the functionality of the org, but I don't have a problem paying to use it. I honestly think it keeps some of the low ball scammers away because they are not willing / able to pay the fee to trade here.

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - jonathani - 10-05-2014

(10-05-2014, 06:49 AM)zeprock Wrote: Three. I tend to throw extras into my trades. That would be difficult to do if I didn't have my cards in hand.

Having traded with you before, your extras are always solid and appreciated!

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works - Dub24rollin - 10-05-2014

I feel it's a very small fee compared to the work it would take to do this without it. I'm new to the hobby and Beckett has made it very fun for me where I otherwise probably wouldn't be in the hobby.