Beckett Message Boards
If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. (/thread-1564203.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - cgod26 - 08-15-2014

Just curious if anyone else has stopped collecting their favorite players and resumed later in life?

I collected Napoleon Kaufman for about 5 years and had over 1000 unique cards including a few 1/1's and went through a divorce where my cards mysteriously disappeared. I had 4 large boxes of kaufman cards. I with only RC's, 2 with other years, and 1 box with duplicates. Well, after my wife packaged and moved things out, 2 of my boxes disappeared and I still to this day haven't found out what happened to them.

I lost the 2 boxes with all my unique years and 1/1's, etc. I was so devastated over my divorce and loss of all the cards I spent years collecting, I stopped collecting for about 8 years. I got a second wind and started collecting again in 2010 and was able to bring my collection back and better than before. But I can't help but think about the 1/1's I may have missed out on and I still have not found some cards that I once owned. Especially the 97 green precious metal GREEN and a gold label 1/1 and a flair masterpiece 1/1. I missed a chance to get a green precious metal back when I stopped collecting in 2007. I'm glad I had all his RC's and alot of duplicates (lower value ones of course) to restart my passion to collect again.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? If it had, would you start over or call it quits?

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - pudge27t - 08-15-2014

It would be hard to break bad habits, like looking for your favorite player on all the selling sites and threads BUT I'd have to call it quits! Just for that player though! [Image: biggrin.gif]
Probably start over but not go as hard as I did "The Reggie Bush Collection"! lol

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - chads-cards - 08-16-2014

I am way too far in ( 11 years, 1,000's of dollars ) it could not be repeated. I have started, sold, and restarted other collections but the Colbert PC would be a very hard thing to repeat....especially since I own the majority of the entire print run of multiple sets.

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - coltsfansince85 - 08-16-2014

I ran into some hard times financially...had to gut my Edge 1999 PC. Was at 347/474 went down to just under two hundred...including most of the higher end/rare stuff- all UD MVP Scripts, EX Essential Credentials Now /68 and Future /22, etc. The hardest part was letting go of those cards for about a quarter of what they were worth just so I could scrape by. I've seen some pop up here and there, but at twice what I originally paid.

I tried to start again a few years ago, but quickly lost interest. Early this year I was browsing ebay when I decided to see what 1999 Edge was out there. Happened upon a Donruss Stat Line Career /4 that I promptly purchased- been on a mission since!

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - socalstealth44 - 08-16-2014

I lost all my cards in a wildfire in California, took me about 8 years to come back.

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - butterworth1326 - 08-16-2014

Yeah I have 1,000s wrapped up into my Hartline PC, I would probably have to start with a new guy

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - jacobystealshome - 08-16-2014

i used to be one of the top 5 fred mcgriff collectors in the world, but in order to fund the initial costs my business, i sold 95% of it off, and all the good stuff. saved some auto's pictures and all my jerseys though

i dont think id go back, but instead i would buy a game used bat and a signed ball....something like that. 1 special item instead of tons of cards

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - bakerman8419 - 08-16-2014

There are many factors involved but in general if all my Marinos were gone in an instant I would start a new PC of him but only go after very specific things instead of chasing all the cards I knew I once had. If all of my Jason Taylors were gone in an instant Id probably have a heart attack and would be too demoralized to restart his PC. Id probably go the route of game used stuff rather than cards and create more of shrine in a game room for him. Just too much time, effort and money went into it the first time to start over.

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - butterworth1326 - 08-16-2014

Thinking about it, I would probably start a memorabilia collection of some sort, mini helmet autos, jerseys, etc

RE: If you lost your PC, would you start again or call it quits. - favrecollectors4 - 08-16-2014

I sold my Favre collection back in early 2008 when I was just shy of 2,000 unique because of severe financial issues. I didn't collect for almost a year, but started to feel the itch again. Got back into collecting in 2009, still only collecting Favres, and am almost to 4,000 unique. I keep track of what I used to have, and am only 330 away from having everything I once had.