Beckett Message Boards
How would you spend $100? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Hockey (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: How would you spend $100? (/thread-1563173.html)

Pages: 1 2

How would you spend $100? - b-hawks - 07-23-2014

Hello, been reading the forum for a while and thought I'd jump in.

If you've got $100 burning a hole in your pocket right now, how would you spend it on hockey cards?

I'm looking for suggestions on what box(es) to buy, or other ideas.

RE: How would you spend $100? - fred bear - 07-23-2014

(07-23-2014, 09:59 AM)b-hawks Wrote: Hello, been reading the forum for a while and thought I'd jump in.

If you've got $100 burning a hole in your pocket right now, how would you spend it on hockey cards?

I'm looking for suggestions on what box(es) to buy, or other ideas.

At the $100 mark for a 'random' box, you're likely better off buying lottery tickets or you could send me a check and I'll send you several random jersey and auto cards... You should not expect the 'bang'-for-the-buck that most collectors want.

I would recommend that you try to define what you want. Do you want traders? Do you want items for your PC? Is there a set you want to collect that a box will result in several PC cards? Those types of questions will lead you to the best 'bang' and it often makes much more sense to buy singles... Not as random, but often much more satisfying...

RE: How would you spend $100? - b-hawks - 07-23-2014

So how much would you recommend one spend in order to make buying a box a good idea?

Are you saying you'll never make your money back (or get comparable BV) if you buy a low to mid range box of cards?

For my PC, I collect Toews, Kane, Saad and Shaw mainly and have been buying cards off ebay but I also like to open packs once in a while.

RE: How would you spend $100? - fred bear - 07-23-2014

(07-23-2014, 11:20 AM)b-hawks Wrote: So how much would you recommend one spend in order to make buying a box a good idea?

Are you saying you'll never make your money back (or get comparable BV) if you buy a low to mid range box of cards?

For my PC, I collect Toews, Kane, Saad and Shaw mainly and have been buying cards off ebay but I also like to open packs once in a while.

It's sad to say, but with few exceptions, the more you spend on a box, the better it is... If you buy a box of Prime/Dominion/The Cup/Ultimate, there is a much better chance of the cards adding up to what you might want for the 'investment'. This is mainly because most of the base/rookies are more widely collected and the inserts are higher-end, lower-numbered, so more player collectors are looking for them.

I've seen very few boxes where you don't get BV back, but how many single are you buying at full BV? On the other hand, it's not that you'll never get your money back, it just shouldn't be your expectation... You'll also do much better by putting the odds in your favor and busting a case if you can swing it... Some boxes are better than others, some are much, much worse, and the more you do to 'even' the odds, the better the results...

Like I said, it depends on what your goal is... If you are targeting PC stuff or trying to build up some traders or just looking for 'fun'. If you want to target PC stuff, I'd say look for a group break of something and just buy the 'Blackhawks'. If you are looking for traders, pick a box from a set which is heavily collected (SP Authentic is usually good while Black Diamond is usually bad). If you're looking for 'fun', Panini seems to have released a couple which look good from the random breaks I've seen...

Personally, I stick to buying boxes only of what I collect. If 90% of a box is going into my PC and I'm not trying to get 50-60% of the value back in traders, I usually wind up feeling pretty good. For singles, I'm 100% happier just buying instead of trying to 'hit' something on my own... [I, of course, have only learned this by amassing far too many traders by busting a little of this, a lot of that, and even more of that...]

RE: How would you spend $100? - larrico - 07-23-2014

I've been killing it buying random packs lately.

I've been going into my card shop, buying three or fours packs at a time and getting hits in 50% or more. Bought three packs of 11/12 SP Authentic and nailed a Voynov Future Watch Redemption and a Tavares Sign of the Times Auto.

RE: How would you spend $100? - b-hawks - 07-23-2014

Thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking I've got to start trading since I've already bought a few boxes and it would hopefully allow me to get some cards I really want. There is a strong allure to opening packs also.

As a new collector, I'm still trying to narrow down my focus. I know I'm not likely to pull down a card worth a ton of money only spending $100 but I assume a lot of people on the forums still buy boxes to open and was just wondering what their current go to pick is or how'd they spend $100 at the LCS if someone gave them a giftcard.

RE: How would you spend $100? - franktoronto - 07-23-2014

I'm not sure I agree that the more you spend results in bigger bang for your buck.

You will, on average, get bigger bang for your buck buying UD Series 1 or 2 for $75 than you would for SPGU. On the other hand, you'll get better bang for your buck purchasing The Cup. The point is there are varying levels of best bang for your buck within each price range.

RE: How would you spend $100? - Optimus_Prime - 07-23-2014

I'd buy all singles. You know what you're getting and although it's not as fun, It won't be such a let down. It's hard for me to spend 100 on a box and get a bunch of stuff I don't really want. But its easy for me to say that because i don't collect any new sets. (see my signature) so the new stuff just all goes up for trade and its hard to trade base. It just sits until i donate it. So if you're looking to build a set, buy a box. If not, buy singles.

RE: How would you spend $100? - madmack29 - 07-23-2014

This year I think Rookie Anthology has been pretty good for the money. Artifacts is usually pretty fun to open with good value also.

Both would be under your $100 question.

Just my 2 cents.
Nathan
Forgot about Totally Certified - I have had very good luck with a couple of boxes this year.

RE: How would you spend $100? - greg2424 - 07-24-2014

I would take it to another site where you can see the actual cards you are buying and make offers on vintage rookie cards. Shipping is only $3.00 too. I have purchased over 400 OPC to fill my 80s sets and the cards are in incredible condition.