Beckett Message Boards
How Do You Scout Prospects? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How Do You Scout Prospects? (/thread-1552909.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

How Do You Scout Prospects? - Odyssey - 01-14-2014

Just wondering how some of you more experienced collectors scout which prospects are worth collecting? Right now I'm going through every teams Top 20 prospects and looking at their numbers. It's not a bad way to go about doing it but I'm sure there are better ways.

RE: How Do You Scout Prospects? - Gtbrian23 - 01-14-2014

(01-14-2014, 06:42 PM)Odyssey Wrote: Just wondering how some of you more experienced collectors scout which prospects are worth collecting? Right now I'm going through every teams Top 20 prospects and looking at their numbers. It's not a bad way to go about doing it but I'm sure there are better ways.

Thats what I did with the Ranger prospects that I collect. The others for teams I dont follow are harder and I havent really had time to get into that lately

RE: How Do You Scout Prospects? - Petillo65 - 01-14-2014

Lots of stuff on the web.. I'm far from experienced though and we'll have to wait a few years to see how my system goes. I don't really "prospect" other than my PC guys when I buy doubles, but I usually research players after I pull autos and hang into the ones I think can be something and trade the rest. That has been a huge part of the fun in collecting for me, holding onto some prospects I pull hits of and rooting them on.

Personally, For position players I look a lot at k/bb ratio along with the typical slash line numbers. That discipline will be key against better pitchers. A low-a guy who hits .280 with 30 jacks, but has a 100/15 k/bb ratio has a lot of work to do to carry those other numbers up the ladder. I also look at defensive flexibility. A low-a "3b" who needs a lot of work at the position could likely be relegated to 1b/OFwhich puts a lot more pressure on his hitting ability. Of course i look at conventional numbers too, but those can be inflated due to the league theyre in etc. I also look at age per level. An 18 year old mashing high-A pitching is far more impressive than a 21 year old doing so.

For pitchers, I look at scouting reports for the depth of their pitches. I like the power pitchers to have one potentially dominating pitch with at least two usable pitches in the works to back it up so they don't get pushed to the bullpen. I really like to see a plus change-up. Also, reading "projectable frame" is a plus. Shows they can potentially add some velocity/keep a high workload without injury and typically have more potential for #1 starter material.

Whenever I pull an auto of a prospect my first google search is "(players name) scouting report baseball prospect nation"... A lot of good info on that site. If there is something I like in the scouting report I'll hang onto it and cheer the player on. If not, it hits the bay or the trade pile. I could never truly "prospect" because I'd end up starting a PC haha

RE: How Do You Scout Prospects? - rentzington - 01-14-2014

First step subscribe to baseball prospectcus Their scouting reports are great and they use a projection system

Oh... And look back on prior years top 100 prospect reports... I did this and had a lot of fun seeing all of the Cameron maybin top 10 type reports!

RE: How Do You Scout Prospects? - Odyssey - 01-14-2014

(01-14-2014, 07:58 PM)Petillo65 Wrote: Lots of stuff on the web.. I'm far from experienced though and we'll have to wait a few years to see how my system goes. I don't really "prospect" other than my PC guys when I buy doubles, but I usually research players after I pull autos and hang into the ones I think can be something and trade the rest. That has been a huge part of the fun in collecting for me, holding onto some prospects I pull hits of and rooting them on.

Personally, For position players I look a lot at k/bb ratio along with the typical slash line numbers. That discipline will be key against better pitchers. A low-a guy who hits .280 with 30 jacks, but has a 100/15 k/bb ratio has a lot of work to do to carry those other numbers up the ladder. I also look at defensive flexibility. A low-a "3b" who needs a lot of work at the position could likely be relegated to 1b/OFwhich puts a lot more pressure on his hitting ability. Of course i look at conventional numbers too, but those can be inflated due to the league theyre in etc. I also look at age per level. An 18 year old mashing high-A pitching is far more impressive than a 21 year old doing so.

For pitchers, I look at scouting reports for the depth of their pitches. I like the power pitchers to have one potentially dominating pitch with at least two usable pitches in the works to back it up so they don't get pushed to the bullpen. I really like to see a plus change-up. Also, reading "projectable frame" is a plus. Shows they can potentially add some velocity/keep a high workload without injury and typically have more potential for #1 starter material.

Whenever I pull an auto of a prospect my first google search is "(players name) scouting report baseball prospect nation"... A lot of good info on that site. If there is something I like in the scouting report I'll hang onto it and cheer the player on. If not, it hits the bay or the trade pile. I could never truly "prospect" because I'd end up starting a PC haha

Wow, a lot of good info there, thanks for input. Those are also some of the things I look at as well for hitters. Pitchers are a bit to unpredictable and I usually just chase those in the Braves farm system since thats my team. I just went through every AL teams top 20 and for your A's I like Renato Nunezs' power and RBI numbers and I also liked Matthew Olson although his BA is a little low but his power is some of the best in your system.

Right now I've gone on a Hunter Dozier finanzie and his stuff is dirt cheap on ebay as well. I know prospecting is hit and miss (your Maybin reference) but its also pretty fun.

Rentzington, I will have to look at that website. Thanks for the info.

RE: How Do You Scout Prospects? - RobbinsDynasty - 01-14-2014

just remember numbers can off. not everything can given by the numbers. I usually PC my teams prospects

(01-14-2014, 08:21 PM)Odyssey Wrote: Wow, a lot of good info there, thanks for input. Those are also some of the things I look at as well for hitters. Pitchers are a bit to unpredictable and I usually just chase those in the Braves farm system since thats my team. I just went through every AL teams top 20 and for your A's I like Renato Nunezs' power and RBI numbers and I also liked Matthew Olson although his BA is a little low but his power is some of the best in your system.

Right now I've gone on a Hunter Dozier finanzie and his stuff is dirt cheap on ebay as well. I know prospecting is hit and miss (your Maybin reference) but its also pretty fun.

Rentzington, I will have to look at that website. Thanks for the info.

I like olson. Dumbass struck out in nearly 1/3 of his at bats but walked a crap-ton at the same time. I have no idea what to make of that!

RE: How Do You Scout Prospects? - Odyssey - 01-14-2014

(01-14-2014, 08:52 PM)Petillo65 Wrote: I like olson. Dumbass struck out in nearly 1/3 of his at bats but walked a crap-ton at the same time. I have no idea what to make of that!

I can tell you what to make of it.... DAN UGGLA

(01-14-2014, 09:17 PM)Odyssey Wrote: I can tell you what to make of it.... DAN UGGLA

Haha. Good call. Lets see that batting average get-up, K rate drop, and bb's remain the same (he is 19 after all)!!! Avoid uggla-ville!!!