Beckett Message Boards
Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist (/thread-1551410.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - cross4444 - 12-21-2013

Bear with me guys, I need to rant a bit. Maybe this is just beating a dead horse, but I cannot STAND to surf Ebay much less Craigslist anymore for cards. There are just so many sellers trying to pass off absolute junk as the holy grail! I see a cool card I want and think, "Cool, I'd buy that for a couple dollars." When I go to bid, the starting bid is astronomical! What's even worse is the people who clean out their closets full of junk wax and list Every Single Card with tags such as "VINTAGE" "L@@K" "MINT GEM 10.5!!!!"

Oh, but my favorite tags are when people list every card with "non auto" in the tag. That way when I go to search for "auto", I have to scroll through 1,000 pages of 1990 Donruss singles that are all going off over the next hour.

Here's another fun one! I just came across yet another guy on Craigslist with shoeboxes full of late 80's cards. He's apparently got over 100,000 cards with a total value of over $2000 according to "Beckket". He's only asking $300. The idiot subscribed to "Beckket" to price out cards at 2 cents each?

It's almost 2014. When will people learn that their cards are crap? It's common knowledge that you can toss out that junk wax now because it's never ever going to be worth the real estate it takes up if there's no sentimental value to it. It's one thing to be blind, it's another to know that you have crap and still try to pass it off like it's something special.

Okay, I'm sorry for the rant. Let's turn this into a fun thread! What are some of the best and most preposterous listings you've ever seen?

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - Haze28 - 12-21-2013

My buddy that works at a card shop says he gets hundreds of calls a month from people wanting to sell cards from the 80's thinking they are sitting on a gold mine. He tells them that they won't even look at them, most of them would either be thrown in the garbage or donated to charity since they are almost worthless.

It's kind of understandable why some people would think they have something valuable if they have not been collecting seriously and it's just a bunch of cards they had from when they were kids. Right now if you think about it cards from 1988 are 25 years old. Go back to 1988 and at that time the cards that were 25 years old(1963) were worth HUGE money. So when people think back to that they think the older the card, the more it's worth. Until they get their bubble burst by someone who knows about the hobby.
The eBay listings I can't stand are the cards that have been relisted 45 times at a completely rediculous price and they never lower the price. I'll over pay to a certain extent for a card that I really want or need but some of them are crazy. If I list something with a BIN and it doesn't sell after 3 attempts it just goes back into storage.

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - brian2345 - 12-21-2013

I picked up 2 different deals a couple of years ago 1 had mostly Brave players mostly late 1990 early 2000 but a ton of them were inserts, refractors , game used and even some autos total bv was around 15,000 paid 200 The second deal was even better a former collector who had aprox 1.5 million cards bought all his baseball aprox 85 3 row boxes only thumbed through a couple of boxes should have grabbed football hockey and basketball too in hind site.anyways back to what was in boxes all super star players like jeter a-rod bonds mcgwire ripken brett clemens ryan bench seaver and many more cards ranges from 1975-2000 combined bv over 150,000 paid 350 i called him up when i realized the extent of the collection and value he said he knew what he had and was happy i liked what i had received so i asked him if he still had the football hockey and basketball but he had already sold it. still have most of the first deal which is pretty funny since i am a mets fan.

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - rmpaq5 - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 03:12 AM)Haze28 Wrote: It's kind of understandable why some people would think they have something valuable if they have not been collecting seriously and it's just a bunch of cards they had from when they were kids. Right now if you think about it cards from 1988 are 25 years old. Go back to 1988 and at that time the cards that were 25 years old(1963) were worth HUGE money. So when people think back to that they think the older the card, the more it's worth. Until they get their bubble burst by someone who knows about the hobby.

I feel sorry for these legit "treasure finding" folks. It is not that they lost anything (Wow I haven't looked in the basement in years...Holy crap 1989 Donruss that has got to be worth something) since they never knew they were there in the first place. Just the momentary rush of thinking they were going to pocket a few grand to be brought down to earth. Crushed by reality. There is nothing "wrong" with these sets, I myself have been piecing together sets from the early 80s to the early 2000 through trades here and lots (when the price is right) because I love the history and nostalgia. That is why I prefer the term 'Overproduced' to 'Junk'.

The craigslist people (kijijji here in Canada) though who continually relist there 90 Fleer set at $100 over and over is another matter. You can tell by looking at their other listings, how long it has been online, and the fact that you yourself may have emailed them and told them what it is really worth, and they continue to list it as "Vintage Collectibles and RARE" (That is my favourite the rare part. If it is so rare why are 97 other people listing the same thing). They are just looking for a sucker who feels like coming into the hobby brand new and wanting to rip somebody off, which in turn will push these newer returning collectors away.

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - mgruber2 - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 10:35 AM)brian2345 Wrote: I picked up 2 different deals a couple of years ago 1 had mostly Brave players mostly late 1990 early 2000 but a ton of them were inserts, refractors , game used and even some autos total bv was around 15,000 paid 200 The second deal was even better a former collector who had aprox 1.5 million cards bought all his baseball aprox 85 3 row boxes only thumbed through a couple of boxes should have grabbed football hockey and basketball too in hind site.anyways back to what was in boxes all super star players like jeter a-rod bonds mcgwire ripken brett clemens ryan bench seaver and many more cards ranges from 1975-2000 combined bv over 150,000 paid 350 i called him up when i realized the extent of the collection and value he said he knew what he had and was happy i liked what i had received so i asked him if he still had the football hockey and basketball but he had already sold it. still have most of the first deal which is pretty funny since i am a mets fan.

I'm glad you had a conscience enough to call the guy back to see if he knew what he sold you. Most people would have never looked back and just ripped the guy off. He probably was truely glad to have sold them to someone who really appreciated them. Glad to see not everyone is out to rip someone off! Kudos to you!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas! Smile

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - bbcgalaxee - 12-21-2013

There is no shortage of people who call my shop or stop in looking to sell their "old" cards from 1988.

Just had a guy come in with a small stack of beat up 92 ultra football cards and wanted anything I could offer. Obviously, I passed.

And my store is in the Bronx so just think how many calls I get a year trying to sell their "old" cards.

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - cross4444 - 12-21-2013

It just goes to show that baseball cards aren't an investment, they're a hobby. Sure, every once in a while someone can sell a card for a huge amount, but the amount they get doesn't even compare to the grand amount spent on the cards when they're new. There's nothing wrong with selling cards you've ripped and you don't want to someone who does want them, but it's not a business that will turn a steady profit.

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - totally sports - 12-21-2013

Wanna make this fun? Take a look at this.
http://www.comc.com/Cards/Football/2007/Donruss_Classics_Wrong_Name_On_Front/36/Brett_Favre/5470312

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - cross4444 - 12-21-2013

(12-21-2013, 02:52 PM)totally sports Wrote: Wanna make this fun? Take a look at this.
http://www.comc.com/Cards/Football/2007/Donruss_Classics_Wrong_Name_On_Front/36/Brett_Favre/5470312

LMAO! I didn't even know COMC allowed asking prices to be that high! I guess this card is almost as good as Strasburg's 2010 Superfractor...

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist - petillo64 - 12-21-2013

The non auto thing drives me nuts. Couldn't find anything specific, but just about every BIN price for high-end Cespedes cards crack me up. Just have to wait for them to pop up at auction so I can buy them for 20% of the average BIN price.