Beckett Message Boards
biggest industry pet peeves - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Hockey (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: biggest industry pet peeves (/thread-1541250.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

biggest industry pet peeves - hockeynick1721 - 07-27-2013

What is the one thing that really "grinds your gears" about the hobby? Could be anything from poor packaging during trades, ebay value over BV, auto stickers, trading-down, poor production standards, box prices, anything.

Mine is clear tape on cardholders.

Because it ruins the holder everytime and could be prevented. Even the manufacturers send out redemptions taped shut. Why not use a team bag or painters tape that doesnt leave a residue? baffles me.

I'm curious what other hobbyists consider.

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - bguzowski16 - 07-27-2013

My biggest one is packaging.

The other day, I received a card wrapped in a piece of paper and mailed in a regular white envelope. Not sure why this was done, but some of the cards arrived damaged.

Luckily it didnt arrive like this next one. (PLEASE READ)

I received another package (yellow bubble-mailer) and the mailman missed the mailbox and it sat on the curb in a puddle of water in the pouring rain until I got home. Knowing that there was a possibilty of damage to the card, I wasnt overly excited to open the package.
To my surprise when I opened the bubble mailer that was soaked, there was another used bubble mailer inside. And inside of that the Steve Yzerman Rookie was in a team bag with no signs of water getting in. So super thanks to you Richard (rmweill), my Yzerman Rookie card has no damage to it.

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - SGC300ier - 07-27-2013

Redemptions! Oh and dudes that don't send cards in a top loader. If you want to know what I'm talking about read my last mail day about the Jordan Staal. GRRRR

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - Optimus_Prime - 07-27-2013

My biggest pet peeve? Well, there's 2 of them right now.

1) it's over pricing on Ebay or people over valuing their cards. Sure, somebody in a million years might come along and pay that, but c'mon. Be realistic and let the people get the cards they want without having to break the bank. I'm not talking about under dogging people either, but coming to an equal fair price.

2) people not paying attention to the condition of their cards. Nothing grinds my gears more than finding a patch card, getting so freking excited for it, asking to make sure its mint, spending the money on it (please see peeve #1) than finding out there's gouges so deep in it that you can run your finger nail in it, finding out that there's actual paint missing off the front of the card, finding out the stitching on the patch is frayed and half of it just flaying around on the card like its a wet noodle...

man, so depressing.

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - anavrin78 - 07-27-2013

I can deal with tape on top-loaders, but when you get a plastic holder with multiple cards in it and it's all taped up that is the worst.

My main one though would be people not paying attention to the condition of the cards they have. That is the absolute worst. Multiple trades and cards I have bought from ebay have had huge creases in jersey cards, TERRIBLE dinged corners, etc...

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - azicet - 07-27-2013

Biggest Pet Peeve for me? "Garbage" rookies. You know the ones. They play a handful of games, get sent down & are never heard of again. However, Upper Deck & Panini feel complied to make an autographed jersey card of the scrub and 9x out of 10, that's the guy you pull as your "hit".

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - irbefan4life - 07-28-2013

My biggie is the endless parallels.

Back in the day of Pacific, parallels meant something. They looked unique, added value to a box, and were never numbered to low. Now it seems that everyone has to have #/10, #/5, #1/1, etc., parallels for everything. Some love it, I hate it.

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - nemesis77777 - 07-28-2013

For me, its people not pricing their thing in their org as a standard Nm/M. I mean im not too fussy when it comes to my pc, about condition, but demanding a premium for trade for a mint card, that hasnt been graded gives me the irrits. Almost everything I trade is pack pulled, coukd be graded mint, but im not that fussy myself and dont like it when people ask for a premium when their card is same condition as mine. Having said this I realise some peole have 50000 plus cards and its hard to change, but theres no reason to not be open to a mental calculation to sort it out, rather than just say I cant be bothered, or the values dont line up and not realise that is why.

Also ebay, and asking premiums and denying a reasonable offer. I mean I set some prices high, but encourage offers, and am always open to negotiation, I guess its the non negotiation that really gets me, and lowball offers for quality goods.

Maybe im being anal about it, but in a perfect world everyone would trade with the same morals, unfortunately its not the case.

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - wickabee - 07-28-2013

Non-negotiation has all but run me out of trading.

RE: biggest industry pet peeves - anavrin78 - 07-28-2013

(07-28-2013, 10:10 AM)wickabee Wrote: Non-negotiation has all but run me out of trading.

Can you give an example? Do you mean "hey I like this card" "Sorry I don't see anything I like" or something else?