Beckett Message Boards
Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Hockey (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint (/thread-1538613.html)

Pages: 1 2

Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - snobles - 06-23-2013

Just wondering what everyone else thinks of Mint vs Near Mint/Mint when trading.

I have all of my cards listed as near mint/mint as that is the normal BV of a card. If it is marked as mint it commands a 25% increase in value. I believe only graded cards should be listed as mint for trading purposes since we are not all card graders.

When I am figuring out BV for BV in a trade I only use those numbers so I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

What does everyone else do?

Scott

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - runfromabear - 06-23-2013

I agree, NRMT is the best setting for most cards. It does reflect the normal BV of a card. Personally, if I am making a trade a with a trader that has there cards listed a MINT I change mine over to reflect the same pricing. As you might guess, I don't have a lot of cards in my organize.

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - stastny26avs - 06-23-2013

Right there with you snobles. Completely agree. Bugs the heck outta me when items are listed as mint. I use Nm/Mt as should be the norm. Shouldn't even have the option to be higher unless you put in the grading serial number.

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - madmack29 - 06-23-2013

I leave my cards at the base grade, unless there is something out of the ordinary about the card, then I will mark it as mint. I am not a card grader and would never claim to be, so I can't in good faith mark as such. I have several of the BCCG graded cards found in blaster boxes and such. When I try to add them Beckett doesn't offer that option for graded cards, seems strange to me, but if I mark the card as being a 10 it makes it priceless.

Right now I have 1 card listed as mint, at least that I marked that way. A Pinnacle Starting 6 jersey card of Edmonton. The 6 swatches are 6 different colors - 2 shades (textures as well) of orange, 2 shades (textures as well) of blue, white (of course) and tan. I imagine that this is pretty rare, so I am asking a premium price for this card. I also entered this card when RNH cards were at a premium.

I am open to thoughts on this practice, as I have received some spectacular swatches in trades that I expected to be solid red or white (the fun of being a Red Wings collector).

Thanks,
Nathan

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - snobles - 06-23-2013

Each collector is going to be different, but I feel for trade purpose if you are going to ask for $20 bv of nrmt cards and offer $20 of mint cards it is not a fair deal in my opinion as the $20 mint is actually only $16 nrmt.

People are free to ask what they want for a card, it is after all their card.

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - bluefrozencanuck - 06-23-2013

Not sure why swatch colour should have any bearing on a cards value, but folks can ask what they want for multi colour swatch cards.

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - Optimus_Prime - 06-24-2013

Honestly, I do have some cards listed as MINT but thats because they were added before beckett defaulted the condition and I'm really not in the mood to spend more time on stuff only to find out it was a waste of time.

If i see a card listed as MINT in the trade either for me or coming in, I always try to just increase the book value or take the time and go change the cards to mint / nrmnt to make it fair.

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - snobles - 06-24-2013

(06-24-2013, 10:21 AM)Optimus_Prime Wrote: Honestly, I do have some cards listed as MINT but thats because they were added before beckett defaulted the condition and I'm really not in the mood to spend more time on stuff only to find out it was a waste of time.

If i see a card listed as MINT in the trade either for me or coming in, I always try to just increase the book value or take the time and go change the cards to mint / nrmnt to make it fair.

I thought there was a time when Beckett messed up and everything was being entered as mint as a default. I was wondering if Randy might have put something in his helpful hints about changing things back.

For me it is easy because all of my traders are in one folder so I just add the condition field to the layout, select all items in the folder and change the condition to near mint.

As you said, if there is something involved in a deal, and you change it at that time it is fine too.

Thanks for the great discussion on this one, I miss the days when we would have 20 people all commenting on a thread like this.

Scott

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - onoxxxregretso - 06-24-2013

I mark all of mine as NRMT and like many others have said if someone I'm trading with has cards marked as MINT I usually add extra cards to my side of the trade ( cards I'm getting) to make up for the price difference.

I comment on the trade saying "your cards are marked as MINT which isn't the default so I added some cards to cover the difference in BV." I am too lazy to change the cards in a trade to MINT because if the trade gets cancelled I don't want to hunt those cards down to change them back to NRMT.

RE: Mint vs Near Mint/Mint - jowlsisacanucksfan - 06-24-2013

Totally agree, I prefer to make trades where both trader's cards are marked the same nrmt is my preferred