Beckett Message Boards
Bought a rival's Dominique Wilkins collection... some questions! - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Bought a rival's Dominique Wilkins collection... some questions! (/thread-1532434.html)

Bought a rival's Dominique Wilkins collection... some questions! - dleifriaf - 04-04-2013

So someone that I have competed with for Dominique stuff with for years said he had to move to Europe and he was willing to unload his collection on me. We agreed on a price and it cost me nearly $100 to have everything shipped! Well worth it though as I got a LOT of awesome stuff.

I'll share the new cards I got first as I still have to go through all the memorabilia. I have some questions about some of these and if anyone has answers that would be great!

First some jersey #d upgrades:

02-03 Upper Deck Finite #186 First Class (21/25)
[Image: 02-03_Upper_Deck_Finite.jpg]

04-05 Hoops 100 #175 (021/100)
[Image: 04-05_Hoops_100.jpg]

Next, some completely new stuff!

92-93 Upper Deck Blow-Up #148 (8.50" x 11.00") (0235/2500)
[Image: 92-93_Upper_Deck_Blowup_148.jpg]

Any info on this one? It's 7" x 10"
[Image: Nique.jpg]

A sticker of some sort? Looks like some other Spanish Gigantes stickers I have. The back is blank.
[Image: Spanish_Gigantes_4.jpg]

Any information on these? They look like after-market stuff that probably doesn't have much value, but maybe still kind of neat?
[Image: 24k_Gold_1.jpg][Image: 24k_Gold_2.jpg][Image: 24k_Gold_3.jpg][Image: Diamond_Edition_1.jpg][Image: Diamond_Edition_2.jpg][Image: Diamond_Edition_3.jpg][Image: Diamond_Edition_4.jpg][Image: Diamond_Edition_5.jpg][Image: Diamond_Edition_6.jpg][Image: Diamond_Edition_7.jpg][Image: Treasure_Hunt_1.jpg][Image: Treasure_Hunt_2.jpg][Image: Treasure_Hunt_3.jpg][Image: Gem_Collection_1.jpg][Image: Gem_Collection_2.jpg][Image: Gem_Collection_3.jpg][Image: Gem_Collection_4.jpg][Image: Gem_Collection_5.jpg][Image: Project_Backpack.jpg][Image: Special_Olympics.jpg]

Next some oddball and misprint stuff:

88-89 Fleer Stickers #11 - Misprint (Wilkins on front, Mark Aguirre upside-down on back)
[Image: 88-89_Fleer_Stickers_Error.jpg]

90-91 Fleer #6 - Misprint (Black back)
[Image: 90-91_Fleer_Black_Back.jpg]

90-91 Hoops #36 - Misprint (Wilkins on front, Chucky Brown upside-down on back)
[Image: 90-91_Hoops_36_Error.jpg]

90-91 SkyBox ... magazine cutout? It's slightly undersized and has the thickness and bendiness of the back or front of a magazine cover.
[Image: 90-91_SkyBox_Mini.jpg]

92-93 Topps #35 - Miscut
[Image: 92-93_Topps_35_Error_.jpg]

92-93 Topps #125 All-Star - Miscut
[Image: 92-93_Topps_125_Error.jpg]

92-93 Topps #125 All-Star - Black & White Print
[Image: 92-93_Topps_125_Black_White.jpg]

93-94 Upper Deck Holojams #H1 Magnet ... legit release or after market creativity?
[Image: 93-94_Upper_Deck_Holojams_Magnet.jpg]

... and finally, the key card that REALLY made want me to purchase!

00-01 Upper Deck Century Legends Commemorative Collection Gold #52 History of the Dunk (1/1)
[Image: 00-01_Upper_Deck_Century_Legends_Commemo...old_52.jpg]

This card is the #52 subset. I used to have the #47 base 1/1 parallel as well back in the day, but I couldn't turn down an offer of $900 as I was short on cash when someone made the offer to me. These two cards are Dominique's FIRST 1/1 cards!

[Image: 00-01_Upper_Deck_Century_Legends_Commemo...n_Gold.jpg]

I hope I can get the other card back someday, but I still have these proofs, so I guess those will just have to do for now:

[Image: 00-01_Upper_Deck_Century_Legends_Commemo...Proofs.jpg]

Thanks for looking and if you have some info on some of that stuff It'd be much appreciated!!!

RE: Bought a rival's collection... some questions! - mickey7mantle7 - 04-04-2013

Nice pick up...what did u pay for the lot?

RE: Bought a rival's collection... some questions! - dleifriaf - 04-04-2013

A lot... haha

The vast majority of the cards I received from the collection were all duplicates, but the guy wanted to move the whole collection at once so I went for it.

If anyone wants some really nice Dominiques... here you go: http://www.ebay.com/sch/rdleifriaf/m.html?item=151021519350&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_sop=16

RE: Bought a rival's collection... some questions! - odditycards - 04-04-2013

NICE!
Looks like the Gigantes sticker without a number...I'll have to check my sticker albums on it.

The stamped 1/1's of Special Olympics, etc...were promotions given out at certain events and/or card shows. So aftermarket stamping on them. I've collected a couple like that in the past as well. It was between when the shows issued "broder" cards to when UD actually started doing a "show-specific" give-a-way that was actually licensed product. Magnets-holograms were a legit product, as I remember seeing them in the store way back when...haven't ever seen any since!

RE: Bought a rival's Dominique Wilkins collection... some questions! - hercules21 - 04-04-2013

very impressive!

RE: Bought a rival's Dominique Wilkins collection... some questions! - jacobystealshome - 04-04-2013

the 1/1's are aftermarket creations. essentially, someone bought commons, stamped them themselves, called them 1/1