Beckett Message Boards
HOF? Mailday - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HOF? Mailday (/thread-1530196.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

HOF? Mailday - hof collector 15 - 03-12-2013

So it's the moment you've all been waiting for. The Duncan has arrived and I have a couple other cards as well.
First off is Bernard King. He's not a HOFer right now but I think when it's said and done he'll make it in.
[Image: B_KING_AU_zps9939c4e3.jpg]

Next up is a CP3. If he has a couple more years like the year he's having I think for sure he'll get in.
[Image: C_PAUL_AU_zps37b0d802.jpg]

And the main card that I picked up is the greatest PF of all time and a first ballot HOFer.
[Image: T_DUNCAN_AU_zpse27ecc8a.jpg]
I was happy to get it especially since the G. Robinson cards I was looking at went for well over $200 a piece pretty much.

RE: HOF? Mailday - nickm1123 - 03-12-2013

That is a nice Duncan auto. Glad you got that and didnt miss out on in due to the Robinson cards going for so much!

RE: HOF? Mailday - The_Zodiac_Collection - 03-12-2013

Very nice pick up!

RE: HOF? Mailday - briankort - 03-12-2013

Nice pickups.

So, I checked NBA.com and Bernard kings numbers. He has almost 20,000 points and over 5000 rebounds in a 13 year career.
And comparing those numbers against other players who have gotten in (Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Kevin McHale) he has better numbers. But then what is the problem? Why did all of those players get in before him? He stopped playing in 1993 so he was eligible for the HOF in 1998/99. It has been 14 years. I'm not saying he is not worthy, just there is nothing else he can do now to improve his chances. So if he is going to make it in, what is going to change in the minds of the voters that will push him over the top.

RE: HOF? Mailday - will23c1982 - 03-12-2013

briankort, it's not just about numbers though, is it?

How many championship rings does King have? Compare that number to Pippen, Rodman and McHale.

Obviously King was phenomenal at his peak - arguably the deserving MVP one season - but he was injury prone. He belongs in the HOF in my opinion, but he wasn't on the level of Pippen, Rodman and McHale.

RE: HOF? Mailday - hof collector 15 - 03-12-2013

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with King. He deserves to be in. He tore his ACL and then the Knicks making a stupid move imo decided to release him. I think he'll get in, at least I hope. LOL

(03-12-2013, 01:43 PM)will23c1982 Wrote: briankort, it's not just about numbers though, is it?

How many championship rings does King have? Compare that number to Pippen, Rodman and McHale.

Obviously King was phenomenal at his peak - arguably the deserving MVP one season - but he was injury prone. He belongs in the HOF in my opinion, but he wasn't on the level of Pippen, Rodman and McHale.

That's always a hard question. It's hard to calculate heart and toughness and all those things that make a player great and put them into a nice statistical format. But using your argument about championships having more weight, Reggie Miller and Charles Barkley shouldn't have gotten in. For them it was all about their numbers.

I am probably alone in this opinion, but for me championships have nothing to do with the greatness of a player. It is a TEAM accomplishment. One guy can't win a championship alone. If the other 4 guys didn't play defense and make shots when they needed to, there is no championship.

Horry has 7 rings. Does that make him a lock for the HOF? if yes, should it?

RE: HOF? Mailday - swjrp10 - 03-12-2013

(03-12-2013, 04:02 PM)briankort Wrote: I am probably alone in this opinion, but for me championships have nothing to do with the greatness of a player. It is a TEAM accomplishment. One guy can't win a championship alone. If the other 4 guys didn't play defense and make shots when they needed to, there is no championship.

I'm not gunna disagree with you, in fact for once I think we actually agree on something (wow, took long enough lol).

However, a lot of the times I think it comes down to star power. Scottie Pippen, larger than life persona, very bousterous, invaded mainstream culture (even my mother who hates sports knows who Pippen and Rodman are). Can we say the same about Bernard King?

You can't tell me that they're star power/persona doesn't come in to play when they are making their decisions, sometimes it helps just to have a name everyone knows.

(03-12-2013, 04:20 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: I'm not gunna disagree with you, in fact for once I think we actually agree on something (wow, took long enough lol).

However, a lot of the times I think it comes down to star power. Scottie Pippen, larger than life persona, very bousterous, invaded mainstream culture (even my mother who hates sports knows who Pippen and Rodman are). Can we say the same about Bernard King?

You can't tell me that they're star power/persona doesn't come in to play when they are making their decisions, sometimes it helps just to have a name everyone knows.

SORRY hof collector 15. I was trying not to jack your thread with this.

So how do you explain Ralph Sampson, Arvydas Sabonis, Mel Daniels, Chet Walker, etc. getting in. Personally I don't think the guys who have votes take star power into account. At least they shouldn't. It should be based on the persons accomplishments in the league and that's all.

RE: HOF? Mailday - swjrp10 - 03-12-2013

(03-12-2013, 04:54 PM)briankort Wrote: SORRY hof collector 15. I was trying not to jack your thread with this.

So how do you explain Ralph Sampson, Arvydas Sabonis, Mel Daniels, Chet Walker, etc. getting in. Personally I don't think the guys who have votes take star power into account. At least they shouldn't. It should be based on the persons accomplishments in the league and that's all.

I'm not saying they do all the time, or that they should. But it's impossible for them to be completely unbiased, they're only human