Beckett Message Boards
I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Hockey (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] (/thread-1526087.html)

Pages: 1 2

I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - frankthefrowner - 02-03-2013

I couldn't find another sub-forum for introductions; or in this case, a re-introduction.

Some of you who have been here for a few years, may recognize my name. I've been in and out of the hobby over the past decade, taking breaks a few times throughout.

I'm a long-time autograph and card collector who has basically started from scratch again due to Hurricane Sandy. I remember my dad introducing me to the hobby in 1985, starting with a few packs of Fleer from the candy store when he was buying a Sunday paper (my first card -- Dwight Gooden rookie) and then a few weeks later, taking me to a baseball card show and buying me a vending box of Topps for $5.

I was hooked. I started building Topps sets every year. I bought packs of other brands. I traded with my friends. Some kids would have lemonade stands in the summer time, I had a table with baseball cards where all my friends came and traded with me.

In the late '80s, my interest expanded to hockey cards. Now, I've always been a hockey fan; I just never knew there were cards. No place sold them by me. The first hockey card I ever owned was a Brett Hull Topps rookie card, that I bought for $4 at a flea market.

Throughout high school and college, I had tables at local card shows on weekends. I had a blast, and lost a fortune! If only I had the economic knowledge then, that I do now!

I got away from collecting after that, and didn't come back until the 2005-06 hockey season. I was on these boards for a couple of years before fading away again. I came back for the 2010-11 season and the beginning of last season too.

I did a lot of trading on here, group breaks online and some online box buying too -- but the bulk of my collection was done at a local card shop. A card shop I had been a customer of since they opened in 1987. A shop whose owner I was able to consider a friend. He knew what I liked, what my budget was; and always had something interesting put on the side for me.

He passed away in late 2011 and the shop closed for good in early 2012 after a liquidation sale and I kind of lost my passion at that point. Then Hurricane Sandy came and wiped out most of what I had. Luckily most of my memorabilia collection survived, but with my cards, I was not as lucky. I knew I'd eventually want to replace some of the gems I lost, I just wasn't ready yet. There were other things that took priority.

The other day, a co-worker mentioned that he was off to buy some 2013 Topps at retail; so I decided to tag along and "maybe pick up a pack or two". Well three blasters later, I was back in. I picked up a Beckett Baseball and a Beckett Hockey on the way home. I did a group break (or four) online. I placed an order on COMC. I ordered a couple of boxes. I even found a new local card shop to frequent.

So I'm back. An org with my traders will be up soon. My Photobucket account will be updated.

My collection will mostly focus on baseball & hockey, but I know that I'll probably be tempted to buy packs of other stuff too. My main interests are Mets & Rangers, especially autographed cards or cards with SICK jersey swatches. I've also been known to be a big fan of hockey stick cards and I'm a sucker for wrestling autographed cards too!

So if we've traded before, I hope to trade with you again. And if we haven't, I hope we will trade soon.

It's good to be back.

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - wickabee - 02-03-2013

Hey, I remember you!
Glad you're back, though not under such circumstances. I've recently returned and I'm noticing others are doing the same. It's nice to have some of the old members coming back.

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - androsfl - 02-03-2013

Sorry about your collection, but glad you found your way back. It's always good to have another NYR's collector on the forums. Still chasing Derek Stepan cards?

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - bguzowski16 - 02-03-2013

HEY!!!! Welcome back!!! We've traded before in the past. Sorry to hear about your loss

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - franklinx - 02-03-2013

I dont remember you, but welcome back!
I am A rookie trader for the most part. I fill my wants by going to shows and LCS's and trading, But I also always try and pick up stuff that I already have, just to have them for trade here.
I dont have any sIcK patches, or Rangers for trade. But if you want, you can look in my org for some old Baseball Rookies- Puckett , Griffey, Raines,the Big Unit etc.
Its to bad you lost so much when Sandy hit. I feel for ya man. But it sounds like your past it now, and ready to move on. Good on ya!
~cheerz~
Fx

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - frankthefrowner - 02-03-2013

(02-03-2013, 01:27 PM)androsfl Wrote: Sorry about your collection, but glad you found your way back. It's always good to have another NYR's collector on the forums. Still chasing Derek Stepan cards?

With so little left, it's hard to chase a particular player at this point. Just trying to build up some core pieces to a more well-rounded Rangers collection for now. I have a few Stepan pieces that survived, need to build up the rest again (Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi, McDonagh, etc.)

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - dan_dou_lea - 02-03-2013

Welcome back!! Sorry you hear about your friend and the collection you had. I have a couple of Kreiders and an Erixon coming in that would be good for you. Please let us know when you have your org up and running.

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - frankthefrowner - 02-03-2013

(02-03-2013, 11:44 PM)dan_dou_lea Wrote: Welcome back!! Sorry you hear about your friend and the collection you had. I have a couple of Kreiders and an Erixon coming in that would be good for you. Please let us know when you have your org up and running.

Thanks! Hoping to have everything in there by the end of the week. I have some boxes on the way, so there should be some new stuff too.

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - rayeates - 02-04-2013

Welcome back to the boards, Ed! It is a rough time that you have gone through, but it is good to see that you have your head on right and have been able to rebound. We have had a few trades in the past, and I know that they were nothing but good! Sorry to hear about your friend's passing, and that you were affected by Sandy so. You still at the same address that you were before? I might have a few things that you would find interesting, so let me know! Best wishes, my good man!

Randi

RE: I'm Back! [WARNING: Long Post!] - rmpaq5 - 02-04-2013

Welcome Back! I'm a baseball collector but hang out here every once in a while in hockey world b/c the guys on this board are some of the best on Beckett! Sorry to hear about the rough times, but I hope getting back in will start to build some new memories and the rush of finding "the coolest stuff." Feel free to hit my ORG for any of your Ranger needs as I got hockey and looking to move it. PM me your address and maybe a little welcome back package can replace a few lost ones.