Beckett Message Boards
I am maturing or going crazy - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I am maturing or going crazy (/thread-1526041.html)

I am maturing or going crazy - swjrp10 - 02-03-2013

I have to be doing one of the two. Over the past week, ive started trading cards that i never thought id trade. These were cards that i thought i had too much of an emotional connection with ive let go, IN THE OTHER GUYS FAVOR for high end cards. For example, this week i did a 7-1 trade, 4 of them were legend autos from exquisite! Now, am i just becoming more mature as a collector, realizing that quality outweighs quantity? Or have i just gone bat beep crazy?

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - kstjst - 02-03-2013

everyone's tastes changes over time. and you can think of it as the other guy wanted, needed, or could find someone else that would enjoy those cards too.

i can't afford to keep a collection, but i do enjoy having owned a lot of cards that were at one time popular (i.e. mcgwire bat card, two 2001 spx ichiro auto rc, 2010 bowman chrome brcye harper auto, 2011 bowman sterling mike trout #ed to 5, etc.)...all of which i could say that at one time i owned/pulled them. though it would drive my late wife crazy when i would tell her "i owned that card...sold it for $x...normally 10 times less than the price i was telling her about."

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - swjrp10 - 02-03-2013

(02-03-2013, 02:06 AM)kstjst Wrote: everyone's tastes changes over time. and you can think of it as the other guy wanted, needed, or could find someone else that would enjoy those cards too.

i can't afford to keep a collection, but i do enjoy having owned a lot of cards that were at one time popular (i.e. mcgwire bat card, two 2001 spx ichiro auto rc, 2010 bowman chrome brcye harper auto, 2011 bowman sterling mike trout #ed to 5, etc.)...all of which i could say that at one time i owned/pulled them. though it would drive my late wife crazy when i would tell her "i owned that card...sold it for $x...normally 10 times less than the price i was telling her about."

Better hope the wifes not reading this lol

Ive been trying to get the...i guess ex is the proper title...for months...shes really close lpl

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - nyyankeesfan28 - 02-03-2013

I think you might be finding your niche (unsure of spelling) in the hobby.

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - swjrp10 - 02-03-2013

idk...I still say I must be going nuts lol

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - kata78 - 02-04-2013

Quality outweighs quantity by far. I sold probably 90% of my collection over the past 2 years in order to acquire rare BGS graded Jeters, Pujols, and PSA graded rookies. Cards I never ever thought I would part with went up for sale. My collection is severely reduced, nice, neat, and organized. I went from buying and trading anything I could get my hands on to focusing on a couple main goals. Way happier for it Smile

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - michaelstepper - 02-04-2013

Quality is much better than quantity. As a player collector Of Junior when I first started taking my collection serious I wanted every patch, auto or jersey card in existence. Well, I eventually didn't feel fulfilled by that as the quality of cards or design took a huge nosedive in my opinion. Even my HOF collection had a sell/ trade off where I didn't keep anything. Started from scratch because, while I enjoyed having the autos of these great players there was no consistency to the collection, sticker/on card autos, no two cards from the same set. It was so random and cluttered looking I couldn't handle it (maybe I have OCD) then after moving and starting collecting again I knew I wanted to do it right, knowing I wouldn't waste my own time and effort on the process. All in all I've stopped and started collecting 5-6 times in the last 15 years. Each time refining my efforts and becoming more focused

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - swjrp10 - 02-04-2013

UPDATE: I just sorted my shoe boxes...They were broken up by sport. I pulled all of the NON-PC pieces...granted I LIKE some of those cards I pulled, but tehy aren't omg I can't get rid of pieces...it's scary how small that part of my collection is.

Now...how do I get rid of all this extra, get down to the meat and potatoes if you will?

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - tate31nym - 02-04-2013

Load 'em up. You just never know what someone else might want, or what they too might be willing to give up for just the right item.

RE: I am maturing or going crazy - swjrp10 - 02-04-2013

Oh theyre loaded up lol