Beckett Message Boards
flipping high end cards help - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: flipping high end cards help (/thread-1522996.html)

Pages: 1 2

flipping high end cards help - Jukeyou - 01-06-2013

So I want to start flipping basketball cards on ebay to help fund my boxes and I was wondering if anyone had any strategies. The price range im trying to do is like $50 to $100. Some of my questions are what type of card/player? What years? Any info is helpful! thanks!

RE: flipping high end cards help - hegotgame1515 - 01-06-2013

(01-06-2013, 02:00 AM)Jukeyou Wrote: So I want to start flipping basketball cards on ebay to help fund my boxes and I was wondering if anyone had any strategies. The price range im trying to do is like $50 to $100. Some of my questions are what type of card/player? What years? Any info is helpful! thanks!

High-end? $50-$100 More like $500-$10,000
The only people that can flip the High end stuff are people that have an idea of what they are doing....
They are the kind the people that follow the market and have been doing it for years...
Don't think for a second it's easy and expect to have your money tied up in cards for a lengthy periods of time....

Before even attempting to try and buy TO sell!
Best advice, watch the market for at least a year!

That will give you an idea of what cards/player's are worth, thats the only way you will know what to buy at what price to make some small gains.....
Good luck, it's not an easy hobby to profit from.

RE: flipping high end cards help - Jukeyou - 01-06-2013

(01-06-2013, 02:48 AM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: High-end? $50-$100 More like $500-$10,000
The only people that can flip the High end stuff are people that have an idea of what they are doing....
They are the kind the people that follow the market and have been doing it for years...
Don't think for a second it's easy and expect to have your money tied up in cards for a lengthy periods of time....

Before even attempting to try and buy TO sell!
Best advice, watch the market for at least a year!

That will give you an idea of what cards/player's are worth, thats the only way you will know what to buy at what price to make some small gains.....
Good luck, it's not an easy hobby to profit from.

Yeah 50 to 100 is what I am trying to start out with until I get more experience with it. But thanks for the advice!

RE: flipping high end cards help - jpleazme805 - 01-06-2013

most average collectors that try to flip cards do not do a very good job at it....

players demand goes up & down throughout the year... take kobe for example.. there are a lot of collectors that chase his cards, but they are not going to pay $200-400 for an auto card of his, because there are thousands of them that come out each year... Panini has over produced his auto.. so some scarce card with a serial of /10 will not sell for $200....

Look at Derrick Rose.. he has a good demand for his RC cards, but people will not pay what they used to for them anymore.. so if you were able to get them for $100-200 when they first came out.. you will not get much more than that...

Blake Griffen's RC cards were pretty cheap when they first came out, take Limited 09-10 for example.. it was selling for about $60-70... now, you can hopefully sell them for $200... but hard part is finding a buyer...

not many people want to pay more than 1/2 BV or SV..

I get emails daily about the cards I been trying to sell on ebay.. most people that contact me, want the card for cheap, so they can get it graded & then flip it.. no problem with that..

but if I go too low.. then I am losing money.. I do not sell to make a profit.. I try to sell the cards I do not want or no longer want.. so I can chase a new set project...

I've learned in the last 4 years of collecting... not many people want to buy sets.. not even at 1/2 BV.. they want to buy it for dirt cheap, break it apart & sell it off piece by piece.

I sold an Ultimate Signatures 2006-07 set of 24 autos.. sold it for about 2/3's BV... but got killed on paypal/ebay fees.. so I actually almost lost money.. the top three cards saved me since I bought the MJ, Kobe, Lebron for cheap.. Person I sold it two had two different ebay accounts.. one to buy & one to sell... they said they wanted it for their personnel collection... but then once they received it, they listed cards individually.. for max profit.. I should of done that myself.. but I thought a collector would like to keep it together...

nobody bid on the cards, so the seller that bought it from me.. relisted them as auctions.. I bid on a few.. thinking, I can get some of them back & make a 3rd set... but I didn't get luck... I fell in love with that set after not collecting for 6 years.. that is why I picked so many of them up. still have a bunch of extras..

how ever you go about trying to flip cards, be careful.. don't over spend & don't spend your profits right away.... unless you have thousands & thousands of dollars to gamble with... flipping cards is a very hard task...

not many collectors out there... you can have a very popular card, but not many people are going to be looking at your listing... average amount of people that look at any single card I have listed is 4-12 people.... I would of thought it to be a couple hundred people that click on a popular card, but nope... nobody... maybe a few watches, but I think they are more interested to see what it might sell for...

also, be aware of non-payers... I got hit with a guy that bid & won 4 of my cards.. about $50 worth... once I send the final invoice with combined shipping of $2 & each card was going to be shipped in magnetic onetouch holders, which will cost about $5-7 (not sure exact weight, so guessing.. but I know 3oz is $1.64 using ebay/paypal shipping label)...

guy sends me an email saying to cancel his bids, because his doctor called saturday & informed him he was back from vacation & can perform two surgeries... strange... I think it would be better to say, sorry.. I bid on too many cards & can not afford them right now, or I changed my mind & spent money on something else... but no, he just said DR returned & I got to get a surgery.. It is a dumb excuse.. I do not believe it.. but hey, it might be true.. I offered to save the cards for him for a later date that he can buy them for same price as a "lot" but he said no... so now, I wasted time, wasted a 4 listings, since it was a 3 day listing & I only get 50 free listings... instead of the 550 free listings I got few months for Ebay's holiday special..

this buyer that no longer wants the cards he bid on & won... has bought over 110+ items within 30 days.. he paid fast on all of them.. except didn't pay for the cards he won from me.. We were communicating back & forth about combined shipping & other cards I might have he might be interested in that I offered to throw into the deal for a couple extra dollars..
** ebay id: obc_life (82) - (100% as of 01/05/13) guy had less than 60 transactions when he bid on my cards... I hate non-payers.. waste of time!!

RE: flipping high end cards help - JMarchand1981 - 01-06-2013

Everything already said is accurate.

I agree with hegotgame. This is a difficult hobby to profit from. It isn't rebuilding classic cars or fixing small engines. Card collecting, I hate to say it, isn't about technical skill. When you buy a card your are at the mercy of the market. You cannot do anything to improve the marketability of said card. You could always get it graded but a poorly graded card will net you a loss since nobody wants to buy something with a bad grade.
If you are going to do it as a main source of income, more power to you. If you are going to dibble and dabble and have fun with it in the process than view it more as hobby than a job.
Another thing that hegotgame said brings up another point. The point he made is the range of what a high end card is. Buying a card that books for $100 at $35 and then selling it for $50(if you are really lucky) might leave you to question if this is worth your time. So, you "made" $15 on this transaction. Out of that $15 you need to consider the raw materials(the envelope that you used, the gas used to get the envelope, shipping, etc etc etc). Also consider eBay and Paypal fees. I think the total here is something like 12%. Lastly, consider what you value your time at. Personally, I won't do anything for the sake of pure profit unless I am making more than my standard hourly wage. The eBay transaction above is not worth my time. With such a small profit margin on cards in the $50-100 range one foul transaction could leave you on the financial outs.
My advice? If you are looking to make money you are better off playing scratch tickets. If you are looking for the fun and excitement of maybe making a few extra bucks? Consider flipping cards but you may find scratch tickets more profitable.

RE: flipping high end cards help - kenarm79 - 01-06-2013

(01-06-2013, 02:00 AM)Jukeyou Wrote: So I want to start flipping basketball cards on ebay to help fund my boxes and I was wondering if anyone had any strategies. The price range im trying to do is like $50 to $100. Some of my questions are what type of card/player? What years? Any info is helpful! thanks!

It all depends on the players. Jordan, LeBron and Kobe usually sell better than most. Durant and Blake Griffin type of players come in after them. Doesn't really matter the year as long as it's something people want. Rookie year stuff usually sell for more than other years, but it has to have something rare about it. Commons usually don't sell for much money. Having a Al Jefferson auto patch /5 isn't going to sell for very much, but a LeBron would. Hope this helps.

RE: flipping high end cards help - mickey7mantle7 - 01-06-2013

It's hard to do, patience and money to spend. I never could do it unless it was by luck. I always seem to lose out cause I do not have the patienceSad

RE: flipping high end cards help - Vols-1 - 01-06-2013

A lot of shill bidding! Bid early and bid often, lol

RE: flipping high end cards help - eazy e - 01-06-2013

High end "card flipping" = your going to lose a lot of money. You would be better off "flipping" low end if your,going to do it at all......
Many reasons have already been given, none positive for you so I won't go into detail just say ....don't do it.

RE: flipping high end cards help - jpleazme805 - 01-06-2013

Kobe's cards do not sell well... everybody wants to buy them for extremely cheap... if you can buy a kobe auto for less than a pack of cards that the same card came from... it's not worth it.. there are too many kobe autos..

even Lebron's sticker autos are going down in price... I been trying to sell one for $200 for the last few months.. nobody wants it, even though it has never been shown on ebay or any other site, except the one I have... it is an extremely low print run, even though there is no serial number... heck, I seen two MJ's of the same set... which sold for $500-700 (forgot actual prices)... that was the SPX 08-09 "signature block" sticker autos..