Beckett Message Boards
CHANGE IN ORG/OPG FUNCTIONALITY - PLEASE READ IF YOU USE ORGANIZE - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: CHANGE IN ORG/OPG FUNCTIONALITY - PLEASE READ IF YOU USE ORGANIZE (/thread-1522868.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

CHANGE IN ORG/OPG FUNCTIONALITY - PLEASE READ IF YOU USE ORGANIZE - rmpaq5 - 01-04-2013

So I'm adding some cards out of random boxes to my ORG, and everything is going normal. Then the boxes you click on an individual card to add to org that are usually ghosted if you have it already are all showing up full green. Check a few sets and its all like that. Anyone else? Makes it rather annoying adding cards while depending on the ghosting to see if it is a double or not.

RE: OPG and ORG ghosting - jacobystealshome - 01-04-2013

yea, happening here. that's a ugly issue...unless:

*qa/qc check*

okay, i was just checking to see if the card would be added to a new collection: no
check to see if the text over the icon was still correct when i hover over it: no
check to see if text when adding a card already in has changed: no

this is extremely bad. now im wondering if i thought i put cards into a collection, it didnt add up right, and i gave away cards for free

BECKETT DEV TEAM: THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE, NOT A MINOR BUG

RE: OPG and ORG ghosting - rmpaq5 - 01-04-2013

Just checked still no ghosting. You know I just got access to my cards after 5 months of renos and moving and figured I'd better organize it since it is in boxes, and my Organize would be helpful. Oh well guess that will have to wait a few more days. Jacoby--all was right with it until about 10 minutes before my initial post, so unless you were filling orders at that time, and doing multiple at that time, you should be good.

RE: OPG and ORG ghosting - ceocards - 01-04-2013

Just remember - don't shoot the messenger!!

I just checked my email and I have this email from Beckett earlier today:

While we work on updates for Organize, Trade, and the performance issue, we are trying to promote some tweaks to help in the meantime. We made a change which we hope will help speed up page loads a bit. The feature which greyed out the Add To Organize icon in search results when the item is already in a customer's organize was creating duplicate search in the database, which could be contributing to the slowness people are experiencing.

We took away the feature which greys out the Add To Organize icon. So now, when a member gets search results back on beckett.com, all of the Add To Organize icons will be clickable. If a member adds an item to Organize that is already there, they will receive a message that the item was successfully but it will not create a duplicate of the item in Organize. It is the same scenario when a customer adds multiple items to Organize and some of the items selected are already in Organize. It adds the ones not in Organize, and simply doesn't do anything regarding the ones that are already in Organize.

I hope that makes sense, and we're hoping customers can experience a little bit of improvement on the site

I just responded to them that (IMO) this is not an acceptable workaround, as we now will need to search our orgs for EVERY INDIVIDUAL CARD we want to add to see if we already have it before adding it (since we can't easily sort 'all items' searches - yes I know there's a workaround by duplicating all items to a collection)

Being Friday, I'm not sure if anyone will see it over the weekend or not, but if I get any relevant updates that I can pass on I will.

And remember - DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!

Thanks CEO...and thanks for the email to tech about the searching our own orgs to add all individual cards. THe duplicate search argument becomes moot with this fix as to add a card first we would have to search the Beckett database, and then in a separate window search our own ORGs. THis is two searches to add to collections. I can see it from Tech guys point of view--things are slow this should move things along--but Tech guy is not neccesarily collector guy also who needs these ghosts to organize purchases, or fill out orders in a business sense like Jacoby does. So no shooting, but thanking for throwing them a message. Feel free to email them about the double search we have to do now to add if it was not in your original email.

what. the. bleep.

im sorry: the gui folks, the dev team, the it folks: they need to know how we actually use this bleeping site. get a bleeping test team of high end users...run stuff by us.'

my workload just multiplied.

and not for nothing: the site is running slow for me right now. so this change did jack for bleeping nothing. thanks, dev team

RE: OPG and ORG ghosting - ceocards - 01-04-2013

Yeah that was basically exactly what I told them. You have to do redundant searches in both the general search and your organize in order to ensure you add each card correctly.

If anyone can come up with any bright ideas on workarounds for the workaround, let's try to brainstorm something.

The best I could come up with off the top of my head is this:

1. Create a "dummy" collection in your org (let's say call it "NEW CARDS").
2. Do the general search, and add all your cards to that "NEW CARDS" collection, just like nothing was wrong. It will add any cards not in your org to that collection, and any cards that are already in your org won't be added.
3. After you're done go into your org and open that "NEW CARDS" collection - compare that to the physical cards in your pile. Anything that isn't showing up in the NEW CARDS collection must be in your org already somewhere - so you only have to do the redundant search for those particular cards.
4. Once you've ID'd the duplicate cards and updated quantities, return to NEW CARDS and move those cards to their 'permanent' collection.

Ugh...just typing that all out makes me tired. I hope someone smarter & more creative than me can come up with something better.
(01-04-2013, 10:41 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: what. the. bleep.

im sorry: the gui folks, the dev team, the it folks: they need to know how we actually use this bleeping site. get a bleeping test team of high end users...fun stuff by us.'

my work just multiplied.

and not for nothing: the site is running slow for me right now. so this change did jack for bleeping nothing. thanks, dev team

I agree with everything you said 100%
OP - if you don't mind I'm going to edit your thread title so that it stands out and hopefully more users will read it.

If, like me, your org is set up in sets I guess you could open up a set (say 1987 o-pee-chee for example) and then take your pile of the same set you want to add and look at only your own org and put the cards into got 'em need 'em piles, then add only the need 'ems and if you keep more than one card update the total and trade numbers of the others. This I guess would only work if you are in sets in ORG, and you have a pile of a particular set and not individual cards from all over the place. If you have your collections by player or team this could get really messy though.
Dont mind at all CEO edit away, and oh ya..............sight is running slow as $&*@ still.

RE: OPG and ORG ghosting - joe callahan13 - 01-04-2013

(01-04-2013, 10:44 PM)ceocards Wrote: If anyone can come up with any bright ideas on workarounds for the workaround, let's try to brainstorm something.

I have one- invest in the computing hardware sufficient to complement the absolutely massive database of your own creation?

Not to sound like a jerk, but the database and org IS the product we are buying from Beckett. I don't want workarounds to get it to work. If you need to buy hardware for your product to work properly, that IS the workaround. If you have too small a battery in a concept car, you don't disable the stereo/lights/other battery sucking features, you put a larger battery in the car...

(01-04-2013, 11:15 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: I have one- invest in the computing hardware sufficient to complement the absolutely massive database of your own creation?

Not to sound like a jerk, but the database and org IS the product we are buying from Beckett. I don't want workarounds to get it to work. If you need to buy hardware for your product to work properly, that IS the workaround. If you have too small a battery in a concept car, you don't disable the stereo/lights/other battery sucking features, you put a larger battery in the car...

this isnt just a hardware issue. if it was, it's easy to throw a bunch of servers into a rack and be done with it. this is hardware AND a coding issue.