Beckett Message Boards
Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Beckett Grading Services (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Beckett Grading Services (BGS) (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? (/thread-1522265.html)

Pages: 1 2

Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - hercules21 - 12-29-2012

I had this idea, and was wondering what others thought... I only recently restarted this hobby, and went thru a learning curve getting cards graded. I have a much better idea now what's a 9.5 versus a 7. I was thinking we could start a thread (or 4 threads, one for each sub-grade category) to help each other ascertain the grades of our raw cards before submitting to BGS.

This may include pictures of cards for examples (which may require close up photos better than smart phone quality in some cases). It could include taking photos before the card is slabbed, and then what the resultant grade was given to it.

I know Beckett has a "grading scale" web page with various criteria, which is very helpful of course. I'm sure BGS keeps any details beyond that proprietary. However, the proposed threads could lead us to make smarter decisions, and perhaps save some money. Would Beckett allow something like this on their forum?...

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - Topgun1983 - 12-29-2012

Sounds good in theory, big problem for us in Australia as it costs us hundreds of dollars just to post cards with insurence to the USA and then customs charges us hundreds of dollars again in import tax and gst when are shipped back to us from the USA, the last time I sent 10 cards for grading with express postage and shipping with insurence and 2 day grading with return express postage cost me $700 last time and the grades given where amateur at best !

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - briankort - 12-29-2012

(12-29-2012, 04:54 AM)Topgun1983 Wrote: Sounds good in theory, big problem for us in Australia as it costs us hundreds of dollars just to post cards with insurence to the USA and then customs charges us hundreds of dollars again in import tax and gst when are shipped back to us from the USA, the last time I sent 10 cards for grading with express postage and shipping with insurence and 2 day grading with return express postage cost me $700 last time and the grades given where amateur at best !

This post isn't about how much it costs people to ship stuff international or paying import and export fees. It's about giving people advice on whether or not to get a card graded based on it's condition.

BTW, those are some sweet MJ's you have there.

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - hof collector 15 - 12-29-2012

I've never actually sent anything in myself. I've either sent it in through my LCS or just bought what I want. I think it mostly comes down to being scared. Scared of losing my cards and then putting my credit card number on that form and having it stolen or something. I would love to send my cards in. I probably would stop buying cards and just use all my money to get stuff graded. So I'd be willing to listen to some advice.

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - hercules21 - 12-29-2012

(12-29-2012, 01:27 PM)hof collector 15 Wrote: I think it mostly comes down to being scared. Scared of losing my cards and then putting my credit card number on that form and having it stolen or something. I would love to send my cards in. I probably would stop buying cards and just use all my money to get stuff graded. So I'd be willing to listen to some advice.

I think if you do the electronic submission on this website, you don't need to include any paperwork that has your credit card number in the shipment.

I take hi-res scans of all my cards before I mail them, and get shipping insurance. That way I can be sure the cards I get back are the same that I sent.

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - signatural - 12-29-2012

(12-29-2012, 02:08 AM)hercules21 Wrote: I had this idea, and was wondering what others thought... I only recently restarted this hobby, and went thru a learning curve getting cards graded. I have a much better idea now what's a 9.5 versus a 7. I was thinking we could start a thread (or 4 threads, one for each sub-grade category) to help each other ascertain the grades of our raw cards before submitting to BGS.

This may include pictures of cards for examples (which may require close up photos better than smart phone quality in some cases). It could include taking photos before the card is slabbed, and then what the resultant grade was given to it.

I know Beckett has a "grading scale" web page with various criteria, which is very helpful of course. I'm sure BGS keeps any details beyond that proprietary. However, the proposed threads could lead us to make smarter decisions, and perhaps save some money. Would Beckett allow something like this on their forum?...

I definitely agree. I'm not sure if one for each sub-grade would be totally necessary, but I believe that the idea has the potential of creating some very popular and helpful threads.

I've got a small amount of Russell Westbrook RC's that I'd like to send out for grading, but I'm very hesitant about sending certain cards. My goal is to collect as many of his BGS 9.5 rookie auto's as I can. I have about 5-6 that I truly believe would get 9.5's, but I'm not so sure about the others. If I was to send them in and received 8.5's or less, it would definitely put a HUGE damper on my mail day.

The "Grading Scale" can only do so much for those of us that have either never submitted cards before or have only done it maybe 1-2 times. It's definitely helpful, but only to a certain extent. Receiving advice from collectors that frequently send cards in to get slabbed would most definitely make me feel a lot more comfortable about sending cards in to BGS.

-Brad

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - hof collector 15 - 12-29-2012

I thought for first time submitters it had to be on paper and then after they have your info you could submit online. I'm probably wrong it was just my thought. Thanks for any info.

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - JMarchand1981 - 12-30-2012

I think it would be fantastic. I have never sent anything in for grading. Personally, I don't want the cards in my PC graded unless every single last one of them is graded. I Have over 500 cards give or take in my PC. Getting them all graded is just not feasible(some aren't really worth paying to get them graded). With that being said, I picked up a card yesterday at the LCS and...the specs of the card are just too good to be true. I will be sending this in for authentication and grading. I do not know how it all works.

Either way, I know how the end-game works. IDeally you receive the cards back with a numerical score. However, I do not know things like the best way to ship etc etc.

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - SHowley2003 - 12-30-2012

I have only submitted to BGS once and I was able to do the electronic submission. Also, the more cards you send in at one time the better the value. You pay close to the same shipping and insurance for 1 card as you do for 5. If you only submitt one card at a time each grade costs you 35-50 dollars US. The more you send at one time the better the value on the shipping and insurances a charges. I paid 102 to have five cards with autos graded. I posted the results a few days back, and it was a learning experience as I got some great grades on some of my favorite PC pieces. But I also got a 6 due to a corner grade of 5 that was very hard to see with the naked eye based on the design of the card.

RE: Starting a thread for BGS grading tips? - hegotgame1515 - 12-30-2012

I have sent 3 Submissions with a total of 42 cards.
35/42 Have come back as BGS 9.5 or better!
I follow one simple rule!
If i see a single flaw (Corners-surface-edges-centring) on any card i want to submit, i simply won't send it!
That way, i'm always happy with my grades...