Beckett Message Boards
I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini (/thread-1522250.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini - a2coupe2a - 12-29-2012

My problem is that some of these guys are being printed to death. Im all for some selection but its starting to get out of control.

I see companies like panini doing what they did here. I see pictures of players with 8000 "event worn" jerseys on looking like the goodyear man. They have pretty much killed the mem. market, how long until they kill the signature market?

I would say keep the selection / but do shorter prints.

RE: I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini - phinzphan1372 - 12-29-2012

(12-29-2012, 01:06 AM)usafshelland Wrote: I think the variations on cards is what's driving the market down... how many Joe Montana RCs are there...1. How many Jerry Rice RCs... 1. How many Dan Marino RCs... 1. How many Andrew Luck RCs so far...17! With 965 TOTAL Rookie Year cards...!!! Heck, I think even Dan Marino only had a 1 other rookie year card.

Im no marino expert but I think you could get around 5 cards during his rookie year Smile hehe .... his rookie, his In Acton card, The police card, Mcdonalds Card and the box bottom I think ....hehe

RE: I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini - nineof - 12-29-2012

"Game Worn" is a joke to all the card companies, not just Panini. I definitely don't pick up jersey cards like I used to. They pretty much have to be dirt cheap to get me interested anymore. That includes super low print runs and 1/1's. I look at jersey cards like any other "base" cards now. Jersey pieces don't add any value to the cardboard now, in my opinion.

RE: I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini - branesergen - 12-29-2012

ITs kinda like an auto on a sticker. Its not an autographed card its an autographed sticker on a card lol

but atleast the player autographed the card. Wilson never wore this jersey in a game... unless it was a game of chess and the panini office or something along those lines.

RE: I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini - ricky williams 34 - 12-29-2012

All companies have been doing this for years, so I'm sorry you just noticed it. "The enclosed game-used (by the third string kicker) is verified by Panini/Topps/Upper Deck." The language is correct, the spirit of what they are doing is not.

These are examples of why I miss 1 RC that was "just" a base card. I hate the game-used v. event-used debate.

This was THE Ricky card to get back in the day and it cost about the same or a little more (ungraded) than your Russell Wilson.

[Image: IMG_3522.jpg]

So, you tell me...a "base" card or a 3 color patch, on-card auto RC? The answer for a majority of collectors is really clear. Not to mention everyone and their mother feels like they should be able to own the 3 color version of the best rookie out there leading to mass production.

And we wonder why the card companies have had to come up with "creative" ways to supply our habits??

RE: I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini - p4ckattack - 12-29-2012

Another thing they do a lot now is rush the production of rookie cards so much that the cards end up with the players in airbrushed jerseys with number 00. Its painfully obvious they are actually wearing their college jesey and its been photo shopped. Inception has done that a lot recently as well as many others. To point out another detail often overlooked is helmet and jesey style. Take your Russell Wilson for example. Russell Wilson wears a riddell revolution helmet with three vertical bars however every rookie card he has in a seahawk uniform has him in one with two bars. This is the helmet he wore for the brief period before the equipment manager ordered his real helmet like the one he wore at wisconsin. In the regular season he has always wore the helmet with three bars meaning every picture of Wilson you see on a rookie was taken back before the season even started. This isn't that big of a deal but I would like it companies were just a little more patient that way we could have the iconic image of a player like Wilson in a real game and not just tossing balls around at press shoot. Everything about rookie cards these days just screams rushed delivery with no attention to qaulity or detail and that can be said for the autos, the patches, and as I mentioned even the picture itself.

Its borderline false advertisement.

I for one was told that it was a russell wilson game used 3 color patch when i accepted the replacement. They might not be legally liable but morally they are fu***d

RE: I guess "GAME WORN" is a joke to Panini - duch2izback - 12-29-2012

Forgot who posted this before, but....event worn Mark Ingram anyone?
[Image: 4.png]
(12-29-2012, 11:47 AM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: All companies have been doing this for years, so I'm sorry you just noticed it. "The enclosed game-used (by the third string kicker) is verified by Panini/Topps/Upper Deck." The language is correct, the spirit of what they are doing is not.

These are examples of why I miss 1 RC that was "just" a base card. I hate the game-used v. event-used debate.

This was THE Ricky card to get back in the day and it cost about the same or a little more (ungraded) than your Russell Wilson.

[Image: IMG_3522.jpg]

So, you tell me...a "base" card or a 3 color patch, on-card auto RC? The answer for a majority of collectors is really clear. Not to mention everyone and their mother feels like they should be able to own the 3 color version of the best rookie out there leading to mass production.

And we wonder why the card companies have had to come up with "creative" ways to supply our habits??

I love that card (drool)

They responded saying... "Those are event-worn jerseys from the 2012 NFLPA Rookie Premiere."

So i guess they just mark event worn as game worn now?