Beckett Message Boards
Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets (/thread-1519277.html)

Pages: 1 2

Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - krmeister - 11-20-2012

The thought crossed my mind the other day about trying to collect a master set. I don't know which set or even if I'll do it, but I'm curious to see what you think about a few questions that I have about master sets.

1) I always believed that a master set was one of every card (main, variations, SPs, parallels, inserts, etc.) that was produced for that set. The problem nowadays is that there is at least one 1/1 parallel in every set. Topps's base set has six 1/1 parallels (platinum, wood, 4 printing plates) without counting the Golden Moments 1/1s. Where do you draw the line at what to include in a "master set"?

2) Would you include any of the Golden Moments redemption cards?

3) How about with variations? Obviously there are more out there than the 1/1, but how short-printed do you think they are?

4) Would you include autos and relics? What would you do when you get to parallel inserts like red ink vs. blue ink (blue being the "base" auto)?

I get there are some sets that you couldn't build a master set -- high end, auto/relic driven sets for example. I've seen some folks on the boards trying to collect master sets of Chrome, A&G and GQ. Anyone trying for a master set of something else?

Thanks!

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - Haze28 - 11-20-2012

Most people don't count parallels in a master set. It would be damn near impossible for the average joe to ever finish a set. I just do base, SP's, all sub-sets minus autos and relics(accept on my Archives project).

Heritage is a tough cookie though, with all errors, color swaps, image swaps and other variations I tend to just stick with the SP's and sub sets.

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - kata78 - 11-20-2012

(11-20-2012, 03:50 PM)Haze28 Wrote: Most people don't count parallels in a master set. It would be damn near impossible for the average joe to ever finish a set. I just do base, SP's, all sub-sets minus autos and relics(accept on my Archives project).

Heritage is a tough cookie though, with all errors, color swaps, image swaps and other variations I tend to just stick with the SP's and sub sets.

Agree......I only do a Heritage Set each year and I only do the Base, SP's, and subsets. The errors, color swaps, and image swaps to me are just way too much time and money. To each his own though on how "Complete" they want to make a set.

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - nyyankeesfan28 - 11-20-2012

Yeah, I call a master set all base, SPs, and inserts. I don't count hits, parallels, or manufactured relics.

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - dalbano - 08-26-2013

I'm trying to find anyone who has 2011, 2012, & 2013 Topps Heritage Master Sets that include base sets, SPs, Variations, & all Errors. Plus the insert sets- no parallels.
Also, I get 5 Topps Chrome hobby boxes, 5 Bowman, 5 Bowman Chrome, 5 Bowman Draft Picks, 5 A&G hobby boxes (all baseball). I need all I've listed for 2011, 2012, & 2013.
I've purchased from all the major shops in the U.S. & ebay- I'd like to find one dealer or collector who can sell me a majority of these, so I don't havta shop 10 different places.
ANYBODY RECOMMEND A DEALER??

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - petillo64 - 08-26-2013

(11-20-2012, 03:50 PM)Haze28 Wrote: Most people don't count parallels in a master set. It would be damn near impossible for the average joe to ever finish a set. I just do base, SP's, all sub-sets minus autos and relics(accept on my Archives project).

I'm similar... For my Archives Project I basically counted all non-serial #'d cards as the master set... This includes all inserts and fan favorite autos... I am also going to include the error cards...

I gave the relics a shot, but excused myself due to the fact that they were 1 per case in hobby, yet nearly 1 per blaster in retail. I also am not going after the retail chase cards...

Haze, I'm going to send you a PM about your project. Maybe we can help each other out a bit?

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - djohn - 08-26-2013

It really depends on the set. However I generally consider it the base set with all SPs and variations. I don't consider inserts and parallels part of a master set. That being said, I still end up putting together most of the easy insert sets when doing a master set.
I have been working on a complete MASTER set of 2001 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres including ALL the inserts. I have finished the base set with autos, all the single and double game used cards, and am 1 short on the triple game used (the Mantle/DiMaggio/Maris SP). I finished the Jackie Robinson game used set and gold parallel set (#'d to 42), however I still need the 3 autographed versions. I also have 4 of the 5 Michael Jordan bat cards (only missing the MJ5 shortprint). The only portion of the set I haven't started are the 22 game used autographs as they are only 25 of each made and they tend to be fairly expensive when they do come up for sale.
When it comes to Master Set building it really just comes down to how much money you want to spend.

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - once78 - 08-26-2013

I am doing master set of 2012 Ginter...This is what I am doing...

Reg Set with SPs
Reg mini set with sps with Extended minis
A&G mini set with sps
Black mini set with sps
Gold mini set
Blue auto set
Relic set
Employee auto set
Maybe employee relic set (don't know yet)
Silk set
one rip or ripped card of all
one redemption card from all cards that have a redemption
All the NNo, Red backs, plates or strange thing I can get my hands on I will that is the journey of the master set...never to be completed.

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - diablo71 - 08-26-2013

I am working on a master set of the 1998 donruss preferred baseball set. Have all base, die cut parallel, inserts, need just three precious metals, but also need some of the tins...
I also have the 97 donruss preferred football master set, just missing one kordell stewart insert card from that one,

A true master set IMO is every card including all parallels, inserts ect. That is why is see the sets that have 1/1 paralles impossible to get a true master set or nearly impossible. Any new sets have so many parallel's I think a true master set in today's cards is just too difficult unless you have a LOT OF MONEY

RE: Gee Whiz questions about Master Sets - djohn - 08-26-2013

I was thinking more about the term "Master Set" as I recall seeing it in Beckett before. The 2001 Topps Heritage baseball set has 407 cards including SPs, however there are an additional 80 variations. The 487 cards together (set with SPs and variations) is considered a "Master Set" according to the Beckett price guide. It is listed in the magazine as a Master Set and online under "Set Information" it mentions the master set as being 487 cards. Here is a link for quick reference.
http://www.beckett.com/baseball/2001/topps-heritage/
The inserts and parallels are not considered part of the master set.