Beckett Message Boards
MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside (/thread-1518185.html)

MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - user_3n5kp - 11-08-2012

So I just got back into collecting in January and have had a very hard time staying focused. I started by putting together the 86 Fleer set then started ripping older wax chased some Mantles and settled on MJ. I've been focused on the Star cards and Mike's for about 2 months now and think I'm doing OK. Most cards have been personally pulled from wax with the exception of the Star cards and the 86 Fleer MJ and Sticker. I plan on sticking to only the man's playing days and perhaps even only up to the 1st retirement.

Hope you enjoy the scans!

[Image: MJ_1.jpg]

[Image: MJ_2.jpg]

[Image: MJ_3.jpg]

[Image: MJ_4.jpg]

RE: MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - mtadams2 - 11-08-2012

looking good man

RE: MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - arabiansnowgriz - 11-08-2012

All these greats in two months?? Nice work! I almost pulled the #288 lastnight but got sniped at the last second. It's going to be a long wait before I find a BGS8 at a nice price. It looks like we have the same taste in MJ's

RE: MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - user_3n5kp - 11-08-2012

(11-08-2012, 09:43 AM)arabiansnowgriz Wrote: All these greats in two months?? Nice work! I almost pulled the #288 lastnight but got sniped at the last second. It's going to be a long wait before I find a BGS8 at a nice price. It looks like we have the same taste in MJ's

Yeah, the Star was a few months back and the RC was part of my BGS graded set. Everything else has been either a new pick up or a self pull. There is just something about pulling a mint card from a pack that can't be beat.

What did that #288 end up going for? I thought about going after it but already had the 7 on its way. That card has such centering issues that for me I was happy to take the hit on the centering sub as long as the other were strong. There is no such thing as a 50/50 example so I figured I would save the money on that one. 7.5 often look just as nice and are very affordable.

I do love the older high flying Mike from my childhood. I wasn;t as into collecting int he late 90s so those cards hold no sentimental value for me. Judging from your sig and our back and forth, we definitely have similar taste...great taste if you ask me!!

RE: MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - buckunteer - 11-08-2012

Hey I could use one of those 87-88 Fleer MJs since you have a stockpile Smile Well done!

RE: MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - pingbling23 - 11-08-2012

sick stuff buddy!!!! how much does a star rc in that grade run?

(11-08-2012, 12:29 PM)buckunteer Wrote: Hey I could use one of those 87-88 Fleer MJs since you have a stockpile Smile Well done!

87-88 or 88-89? I am holding the 2 87-88's because they were self pulls from wax packs and both graded really well...although the 8.5 should be a 9!

The 88-89's are all pack fresh. I ripped 2 wax boxes earlier this year and only graded the nicest ones for my set. I would be happy to trade the 88's and the all-stars/sticked from 88 as well. I have a ton to choose from.

A+ collecting Mitch. He was a serious player that gets zero respect. MJ always said that Mitch was by far the toughest matchup in the league.

(11-08-2012, 12:34 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: sick stuff buddy!!!! how much does a star rc in that grade run?

Tough to say since there is no VCP data on it but based on past ebay auctions they are usually around $1000-$1200 depending on the subs. One just sold for a hair under $1000 which is right about what I paid.

RE: MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - buckunteer - 11-09-2012

(11-08-2012, 12:37 PM)user_3n5kp Wrote: 87-88 or 88-89? I am holding the 2 87-88's because they were self pulls from wax packs and both graded really well...although the 8.5 should be a 9!

The 88-89's are all pack fresh. I ripped 2 wax boxes earlier this year and only graded the nicest ones for my set. I would be happy to trade the 88's and the all-stars/sticked from 88 as well. I have a ton to choose from.

A+ collecting Mitch. He was a serious player that gets zero respect. MJ always said that Mitch was by far the toughest matchup in the league.

I could use a new 88-89, mine's in good shape except the centering would probably only get around a 7 so I don't wanna send it in. I don't have a single 87-88 though, but if you pulled 'em I totally understand keeping them, especially given the solid grades on both!

And Mitch was easily the most underrated player of that generation. Averaged at least 21.9 ppg for his first 10 seasons. Amazing numbers, just never played on a good enough team to get the recognition. He was always my second favorite player after MJ!

RE: MJ PC- A few months in- Scans inside - mickey7mantle7 - 11-09-2012

I love cards...and yours tooSmile Nice stuff. Love lookin at these.