Beckett Message Boards
Ebay Help - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Ebay Help (/thread-1513594.html)

Pages: 1 2

Ebay Help - CardiacCat - 09-13-2012

Hey guys, I'm going to start buying things on ebay. I can't put all my money into boxes and packs in hopes of getting something big. And I would also like to be able to build up my PC. I was just going to ask if anyone had any tips or tricks to using ebay? I've never actually used it before. Any help would be appreciated!

RE: Ebay Help - rmpaq5 - 09-13-2012

Ya, don't going skimming for cards late at night after a few beers. Just like regular beer goggles all of a sudden that 1983 Topps Dave Bergman becomes irresistible and you must have it.... Smile

RE: Ebay Help - stera8 - 09-13-2012

hahahaha.

If you have a smartphone download the ebay app and dont bid until the last 5 seconds. This way the other bidders think nobody is interested and won't up there bid. then you SHOCK them and win the auction..

...just another day at the office
oh! also read the descriptions carefully!

when allen and ginter came out, people were selling cutouts of the boxes as "YU DARVISH MINI ROOKIE CARD" then you read the description and its the cut out from the box.

RE: Ebay Help - pacrimcollectibles - 09-13-2012

(09-13-2012, 06:54 AM)stera8 Wrote: hahahaha.

If you have a smartphone download the ebay app and dont bid until the last 5 seconds. This way the other bidders think nobody is interested and won't up there bid. then you SHOCK them and win the auction..

This would be a better strategy if it wasn't the same one most bidders adhere to. Instead, why not just bid what you're willing to pay and not have to worry about watching the item you want tick down until the last few seconds and potentially finding yourself in a situation where you can't get your bid in?

Waiting to swoop in with seconds to go also can cause a bidder to go over their budget for a card, seeing that the card they thought they would steal has gone higher than their intended bid.

To the OP: the point here is there is no set strategy that is foolproof. The best advice is to find a system that works best for you.

RE: Ebay Help - stera8 - 09-13-2012

eBay updates in real time which makes it easy to get your bid in on time where you always put your max bid. If you lose, you lose. That is why you put the most that you think you'll pay. If you max bid at 150 but you're the highest at 122.50 then you win at 122.50.

(not saying this like a jerk) I assume you don't have the app. You can enter in the price you want to bid while you watch the time go down...then when it hits 3 seconds remaining (depending on Internet connection) you can hit bid. You have everything pre entered in already

RE: Ebay Help - bonds20001 - 09-13-2012

Snipe software allows you to place your bids in time for auction ends and goes to your maximum..
Say you are willing to pay $35 for a Harper card..the auction is stuck on $7.77 after 6 days +..Snipe software will bid as it goes up to your max..it can bid quicker than you..you might win more auctions..
Downside..you snipe 7 cards and win THEM ALL..then it is time to pay..
I think most of my deadbeat bidders are snipers who overspend and eBay allows them to get away with it several or more times..

Also..buyers are super protected..

RE: Ebay Help - acevanquish - 09-13-2012

Search for alternate spelling of player names. Try just their first name or just the last name to find ones where the seller messed up one or the other. Dereck, Jeeter, Brice, Haper, etc. Try different vowels for the player you are searching or keys next to each letter if you have the time or desire to be that thorough. Search by team. The auction gives that option to include when listing them. You may have to look through more but you will see the misspelled names instead of having to guess.

RE: Ebay Help - CardiacCat - 09-13-2012

Awesome guys. Thank you so much for the help. I've been bidding on a couple things last night and this morning. Is there anything that I should look for that should raise a red flag? Kinda how the saying goes if it looks to good to be true it probably is. Appreciate it fellas.

RE: Ebay Help - acevanquish - 09-13-2012

Avoid hot packs. If you buy packs or boxes make sure you know if it is retail or hobby. Ask the seller about how they protect the card; loose in envelope (PWE), each card in top loader, group of cards in team bag, cards shown in magnet holders or anything better than a top loader ask if it will arrive with that case. Ask if they pack and mail next day, every Friday, once a month. In person or through the mail autos ask if any COA is included. If you plan to authenticate anything ask if they allow you to return it if it fails. Mostly communication is important. If you don't recognize the card brand ask where they got it. Things listed as rare!!! one of a kind!!11!1, but they have 50 qty available are not as rare as they are making it sound. Look out for 'or best offer' below buy it now. Some people are willing to accept less especially if it has gone through several cycles without selling. 30 day buy it now auctions charge the seller $.50 every 30 days until it sells or is cancelled. Some people list cards as SP or variation of hot players when a new set comes out before checking if they actually have the SP or just the regular card. It goes both ways, rarely you can get someone selling a single for cheap that doesn't know it is an SP or parallel. Read feedback left by others. View the item to see if it was a card they purchased or some other item. Negative for electronics not working on arrival doesn't always mean a seller is bad with cards or maybe they do try to scam all around in all categories.

RE: Ebay Help - Vols-1 - 09-13-2012

There are a lot of scams on eBay. I would double check the authenticity of anything you bid on. And make sure to always use delivery confirmation when shipping, I'd buy insurance also if it is an expensive item.