Beckett Message Boards
Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? (/thread-1509638.html)

Pages: 1 2

Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - alanch - 08-07-2012

So far I have stayed away from buying/trading for any of their 2012 products, even singles.

Can't stand to look at the 00 jersey numbers in Topps & Inception. Bowman is even worse with the solid color & no numbers.

One would think that since they are already spending the time to photoshop the players into their NFL team unis they could actually give them the right number. I realize they need time to produce cards for on card autos and such, but there seem to be a lot of sticker autos with 00's as well. Most rookies get their numbers within a week or two of the draft. The only player that 00 has ever worked on for me is Jim Otto. Just my opinion, but maybe I'm just too picky.

Hopefully it changes as the year goes on because there are a few rookies and autographs I have seen in their products that I would like to get.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

RE: Your Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far - sconnienation3 - 08-07-2012

What? You mean like these? lol

On-card auto = fake '00' number
[Image: w-toon12inblue.jpg]

Sticker auto = Topps had enough time to put the actual jersey # on there...
[Image: w-toon12inpag.jpg]

IN THE SAME SET!!

Also, I think some were delayed because they may not have had numbers assigned by their pro teams yet. Maybe. I know Toon said pretty early on that he was going to wear '88' in honor of his dad.

RE: Your Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far - alanch - 08-07-2012

(08-07-2012, 02:00 PM)sconnienation3 Wrote: What? You mean like these? lol

On-card auto = fake '00' number
[Image: w-toon12inblue.jpg]

Sticker auto = Topps had enough time to put the actual jersey # on there...
[Image: w-toon12inpag.jpg]

IN THE SAME SET!!

Also, I think some were delayed because they may not have had numbers assigned by their pro teams yet. Maybe. I know Toon said pretty early on that he was going to wear '88' in honor of his dad.

Exactly! I can understand the on card autos to a point. What irks me is the most recent Topps release has rookies of Jerel Worthy and Casey Hayward, both with photoshopped unis, but wearing 00. Oh well, here's hoping for actual numbers and maybe some actual game shots later in the year.

RE: Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - jplarson - 08-07-2012

I got weirded out last year with Finest. Both Patriots RBs had 00 for a jersey number on the Auto/Patch cards. I remember Finest used to get released in mid to late September. It's too bad they are getting it out earlier and earlier and causing these photoshopped numbers. I'd rather wait a bit and get accurate cards.

RE: Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - rjcj2017 - 08-07-2012

I'm glad you brought this up ... I think Inception and this year's Bowman may be the ugliest cards I have ever seen.

I think the problem is that all the companies are in such a rush to get products out that they're really sacrificing design, detail, etc., to be the first ones out or ahead of the next one.

I can't stand the #00 thing, either ... it just looks bad.

I mean, if they can't have their real numbers, I would rather have them all wear #12 or something, as in the last two numbers of the product year (2012, obviously).

At least it wouldn't be such an eyesore at first glance.

I just don't like the "concept" card designs at all, I guess.

I really do like base Topps this year, though.

RE: Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - englandhousehold - 08-07-2012

I feel the same about the "00" but I've been buying up tons of the regular Topps. It's just like 2010 & 2011. It comes with the color parallels and SPs, code cards, etc. Check it out if you don't mind the lower-end stuff.

RE: Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - rjcj2017 - 08-07-2012

(08-07-2012, 10:27 PM)englandhousehold Wrote: I feel the same about the "00" but I've been buying up tons of the regular Topps. It's just like 2010 & 2011. It comes with the color parallels and SPs, code cards, etc. Check it out if you don't mind the lower-end stuff.

Yeah, regular Topps is really cool ... I always find little "surprises," like a Randy Moss 49ers card ... yeah, it's photoshopped, but it was pretty cool when I pulled it because I didn't know he was in the set.

RE: Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - dabears 1985 - 08-08-2012

I think the worst is the look of the "airbrushing" like these cards

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-DONTARI-POE-Rookie-285-/251125390174?pt=US_Football&hash=item3a783d5b5e#ht_500wt_1054

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shea-McClellin-2012-Topps-Rookie-/200804174016?pt=US_Football&hash=item2ec0dc88c0#ht_500wt_1287

The jerseys look like theyre from Madden (the video game)

RE: Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - giantsfan - 08-08-2012

Bowman looks like a childrens saturday morning cartoon

Inception is too costly for a 00 rookie card and they are kinda ugly.

Topps looks good however. Finally some real photography.

RE: Thoughts on 2012 Topps Products So Far? - alanch - 08-08-2012

(08-08-2012, 07:17 AM)giantsfan Wrote: Bowman looks like a childrens saturday morning cartoon

Inception is too costly for a 00 rookie card and they are kinda ugly.

Topps looks good however. Finally some real photography.

Topps does look good this year, just a little disappointed that some of the rookies in the set are still sporting the 00.
(08-07-2012, 09:22 PM)jplarson Wrote: I got weirded out last year with Finest. Both Patriots RBs had 00 for a jersey number on the Auto/Patch cards. I remember Finest used to get released in mid to late September. It's too bad they are getting it out earlier and earlier and causing these photoshopped numbers. I'd rather wait a bit and get accurate cards.

I know what you mean. This year in Topps, the Patriots have two wide receivers wearing 83. Welker and Lloyd. They even appear on a card together like that.