Beckett Message Boards
Question for set builders - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Vintage (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-59.html)
+---- Forum: Baseball Cards (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-60.html)
+---- Thread: Question for set builders (/thread-1503963.html)

Question for set builders - gangstippie - 06-17-2012

Do you try and pick up all the variations and error cards as well? Also, do you prefer graded cards or raw in your sets? I'm currently working on the 59 set. I was wondering if I should buy lots until I get the majority knocked out, then work on upgrades.

Thanks for the advice.

RE: Question for set builders - franciscomarina - 06-18-2012

I am working on that same set. I don't go for the variations and errors. I guess that will depend on the collector. I do try to pick the cards in the condition that I want, but there are some lots that you can't passed by. In that case I will do upgrades, but I usually gets them in the condition that I like. That is why I usually take over 2 years in completing a set like that. It is worth the time.

RE: Question for set builders - gangstippie - 06-18-2012

(06-18-2012, 08:36 PM)franciscomarina Wrote: I am working on that same set. I don't go for the variations and errors. I guess that will depend on the collector. I do try to pick the cards in the condition that I want, but there are some lots that you can't passed by. In that case I will do upgrades, but I usually gets them in the condition that I like. That is why I usually take over 2 years in completing a set like that. It is worth the time.

Thanks for the response. So you don't care if you get a grey back or a white back of any particular card as long as you get the card?

I only have about 60 so far. I was thinking about finishing first and upgrade later. I'd love to have the whole thing graded, but I think that would get very expensive. I guess if I can get a nice grade for a good price, I'll pick it up.

How far along are you?

RE: Question for set builders - jtraven42 - 06-19-2012

Hey man! What's gotten me started on my 4 vintage sets is acquiring a big lot at once, then over the years attempting to fill it out. I'd jump on a big lot on ebay to get it kickstarted. I just did a quick search and found a few.
As for variations, I wouldn't sweat that until you completed your set. For instance, I'll most likely go after the variations for my 67 and 69 sets, but only after I complete the regular ones. For 59, I think the grey/white back challenge would be too much of a pain Smile
Finally, for grading, I've become disenchanted with grading services as of late (big post on that coming one day.) Think about the grade this way: You know what the book value says as a start. Can you clearly see the card in question? Does it look like something you'd like to own? Would you pay what the seller is asking? If you answered yes, buy the card. If you answered no, then wait. Patience is your best bet in acquisitions. It keeps your costs and your blood pressure down.

RE: Question for set builders - gangstippie - 06-19-2012

(06-19-2012, 09:50 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: Hey man! What's gotten me started on my 4 vintage sets is acquiring a big lot at once, then over the years attempting to fill it out. I'd jump on a big lot on ebay to get it kickstarted. I just did a quick search and found a few.
As for variations, I wouldn't sweat that until you completed your set. For instance, I'll most likely go after the variations for my 67 and 69 sets, but only after I complete the regular ones. For 59, I think the grey/white back challenge would be too much of a pain Smile
Finally, for grading, I've become disenchanted with grading services as of late (big post on that coming one day.) Think about the grade this way: You know what the book value says as a start. Can you clearly see the card in question? Does it look like something you'd like to own? Would you pay what the seller is asking? If you answered yes, buy the card. If you answered no, then wait. Patience is your best bet in acquisitions. It keeps your costs and your blood pressure down.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to get buy lots and finish, then work on variations and upgrades. I've got my eye on some lots now. I'd love to have the variations at some point. I just need to remember to take baby steps. I love the look of the 59s!

RE: Question for set builders - jtraven42 - 06-19-2012

Yup, little moves is the key; unless you see a massively awesome deal. That's how I started on my 67 set. The guy listed the cards as VG condition, ending middle of the week. He had the complete first couple series, about 400 or so cards. I offered him like $300 if he wanted to sell it to me off ebay, but he declined. I wound up winning it for $200, and all the cards look ex/mt or better. Best ebay win of my life.

RE: Question for set builders - coimbre 21 - 06-23-2012

(06-19-2012, 12:56 PM)jtraven42 Wrote: Yup, little moves is the key; unless you see a massively awesome deal. That's how I started on my 67 set. The guy listed the cards as VG condition, ending middle of the week. He had the complete first couple series, about 400 or so cards. I offered him like $300 if he wanted to sell it to me off ebay, but he declined. I wound up winning it for $200, and all the cards look ex/mt or better. Best ebay win of my life.

Great for you on the 67s. I like bargain stories like that. I'm about 320 cards into the set, been working on it very slowly for the past four years, if you don't count the crisp 15 high numbered cards I bought at a show in 1978. About 80% of what I have is NM or better, which is why it's been a slow process, since I seek mostly sharp 67s for as little money as possible.

RE: Question for set builders - duck6700j - 06-24-2012

We're doing a 57 Graded Set now.Trying to get them as close to center as possible which takes more time but think when it's done it will be a real nice set to have.

Plan on doing other vintage sets but will probably do them raw.Leaning towards lots since it would be faster to complete but wouldn't pass up nicer singles at the right price.

RE: Question for set builders - jtraven42 - 06-24-2012

(06-23-2012, 11:03 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: Great for you on the 67s. I like bargain stories like that. I'm about 320 cards into the set, been working on it very slowly for the past four years, if you don't count the crisp 15 high numbered cards I bought at a show in 1978. About 80% of what I have is NM or better, which is why it's been a slow process, since I seek mostly sharp 67s for as little money as possible.

I have a bunch of 67's in my Org that I'd like to trade for vintage. Please give me a look. I'd be happy to scan the ones you like.
(06-24-2012, 06:26 AM)duck6700j Wrote: We're doing a 57 Graded Set now.Trying to get them as close to center as possible which takes more time but think when it's done it will be a real nice set to have.

Plan on doing other vintage sets but will probably do them raw.Leaning towards lots since it would be faster to complete but wouldn't pass up nicer singles at the right price.

I've given up on grading. I think it's a sham. I really need to post my missive on that at some point.

RE: Question for set builders - coimbre 21 - 06-24-2012

[quote='jtraven42' pid='2050933' dateline='1340540928']

I have a bunch of 67's in my Org that I'd like to trade for vintage. Please give me a look. I'd be happy to scan the ones you like.

I appreciate the offer and I definitely will take a look. It might take me a week or two to get through it though, a lot going on with work and family over that time starting today. What do you need help with? I've been wanting to set up a trade list through my Org, so this could get me started. Thanks.