Beckett Message Boards
Buying local vs. buying online - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Buying local vs. buying online (/thread-1502163.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Buying local vs. buying online - jdone - 06-03-2012

Just want to know some others opinions. I want to support the card shops but at what difference in price do you start buying boxes online. One site has boxes of 2012 tribute for over 60 dollars less than shop and museum collection for 40 less. I would most likely spend saved money locally. Just thought I'd get opinion. Thanks

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - JRMdawg311 - 06-03-2012

I buy my boxes from my LCS for sure. I usually buy 3 boxes of the products I'm into as they're released such as Heritage, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Topps Chrome etc... I have bought a few boxes online but what I've learned is that some of the guys who sell online break a case or a dozen cases and open boxes until they get the "case hit" or the premium autos they're looking for. Once they get what they want they shelf the remaining boxes for sale and they sell them for cheap bc they made they're money on the hits they already got. I trust my LCS and have gotten some pretty nice hits breaking wax from him. I've gotten nothing but common hits from the boxes I bought online.
Single cards however I buy online. That's way cheaper.

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - manningsecnumbr1fan - 06-03-2012

Supporting your LCS is the way to go if their prices within the same range as the online shops. Might need to figure in if you have to pay for shipping if not buying the required minimum, usually $150 or more. Some like me have no LCS so we have no choice but to order online or buy retail all the time.

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - Haze28 - 06-04-2012

I am leaning way more towards buying online after seeing the LCS's in my area asking insane prices for boxes. Upwards of 40 dollars more a box than online sellers such as blowout. I believe in supporting local shops but I'm not going to give my money away anymore.

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - HeyFitzy - 06-04-2012

(06-04-2012, 01:50 AM)Haze28 Wrote: I am leaning way more towards buying online after seeing the LCS's in my area asking insane prices for boxes. Upwards of 40 dollars more a box than online sellers such as blowout. I believe in supporting local shops but I'm not going to give my money away anymore.

Agreed. My LCS wanted $105 for the 2012 Archives. I about crapped myself. The product is good but my god not THAT good.

I'll stick to buying packs from there and hope for a hit or buy boxes from blowout.

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - Haze28 - 06-04-2012

(06-04-2012, 02:55 AM)HeyFitzy Wrote: Agreed. My LCS wanted $105 for the 2012 Archives. I about crapped myself. The product is good but my god not THAT good.

I'll stick to buying packs from there and hope for a hit or buy boxes from blowout.

One shop near me had the boxes priced at 125. Complete joke. When I told him that the other shops were at 110 he said he's sure they will adjust there prices soon. It was the first time I ever walked out of that store without buying something.

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - bonds20001 - 06-04-2012

Blowout or Dave and Adam is the way to go for me, LCS in area is not good at all and the big guys do not search cases for hits, then just sell out of the case and they sell cases..
If the LCS in area was at all competitive price wise or selection wise, I would go there..

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - JRMdawg311 - 06-04-2012

(06-04-2012, 02:55 AM)HeyFitzy Wrote: Agreed. My LCS wanted $105 for the 2012 Archives. I about crapped myself. The product is good but my god not THAT good.

That's a good point. I wanted some Archives as well until I heard that's how much a box was. 105 in my mind is WAY too much for that product and the auto's etc I saw pulled did not warrant that price. It just seems like it becomes too difficult for a small local card shop to remain competitive when they're limited on their overhead and have to rely on a master distributor for more case orders. These master distributors will sit on a product until it's hot and jack up the prices tying the hands of many LCS's. Forcing them to either pay the high price or let their shelves go empty. Tough business to be in. Unless you establish yourself like blowout and can afford to buy in huge bulk. I might have to look into blowout once I move further from my LCS. For now I'll pay a few extra bucks and support him.

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - jtraven42 - 06-04-2012

Build up a relationship with your LCS and then they will most likely give you friend prices. Treat each other right and the LCS will want you to be a consistent customer. I got a $10 break on each box of Archives I bought.

RE: Buying local vs. buying online - phillies816 - 06-04-2012

My local shop was great until I looked online at the same product and the LCS price was way more than online. I still buy supplies if needed in a pinch at the LCS but usually try to get those online also. I hear the argument about the overhead at the LCS but I have overhead too. Lights, water, property tax bills, so I go where the best price is. If the LCS can't compete and disappears then that's his problem. Last time I was in there to buy an 800ct box and asked about the price on 2011 Finest and it was around $30 more per box than online and he wouldn't budge. So I gladly gave him the $1 for the 800 ct box and left. Haven't been back and probably won't go back. I buy from Blowout and Atlanta Sportscards.