Beckett Message Boards
FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Basketball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ (/thread-1501631.html)

Pages: 1 2

FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - TangoVictorMike - 05-31-2012

Saw this on another site. Thought i'd share it here.
FAKE: Currently on ebay
[Image: screenshot20120530at852.png]
REAL:
[Image: screenshot20120530at857.png]
Listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-UD-BLACK-MICHAEL-JORDAN-15-LEBRON-JAMES-DUAL-AUTO-PATCH-1400-BOOK-VALUE-/120923725497?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item1c279d9eb9#ht_500wt_1200
Took a screen shot just in case he deletes it before you see the link. I assume before erasing the old auto and making a new one, the autographs was worser than the old pic, because ONLY an idiot would wipe clean that autograph and make the new one even worser.
[Image: screenshot20120530at853.png]

RE: FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - jpleazme805 - 05-31-2012

terrible auto... if it's real... I think MJ was drinking before hand... might even have some DNA on it...

RE: FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - will23c1982 - 05-31-2012

Sold for $1,400.

Ouch, the buyer is going to be disappointed.

RE: FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - xstreaminsanity - 05-31-2012

God I'm going to feel stupid for asking this.....but how? I mean, I've looked at the patches in both and even the stitches seem to be the exact same. How could there be two of the exact same card out there one with such HORRIBLE AU? Smile

It's the same card. Exactly the same card.

The seller has removed the autographs and then re-written them. They are now forged.

The assumption would be that he somehow smudged the original autographs, perhaps by handling the cards too much.

RE: FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - xstreaminsanity - 05-31-2012

(05-31-2012, 02:47 PM)will23c1982 Wrote: It's the same card. Exactly the same card.

The seller has removed the autographs and then re-written them. They are now forged.

The assumption would be that he somehow smudged the original autographs, perhaps by handling the cards too much.

Well, the only kudos I'll give them is that they are an expert on completely smearing off the previous AU without leaving major ink streaks all over the place. I'd actually think about contacting UD about this.

The top scan shows that the white spirit (or whatever substance was used to remove the original autographs) has also removed some of the silver foil from the top right of the card (i.e. where the fake Jordan autograph is now positioned).

RE: FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - arod1973 - 05-31-2012

wow thats insane...even if he smeared an auto, why go and completely destroy it..

RE: FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - rjcj2017 - 05-31-2012

Wow. Just, wow.

I'd be as physically ill as the next guy if I smudged the auto, but would never dream in a million years of actually wiping off both of those signatures.

Then forging it, then selling it ...

By the way, forgive my ignorance because I've never owned an UD Black card, is it even possible to smudge the auto unless you're really, really trying (Goo Gone or something?)

Any other auto I've ever had is basically as dry as the rest of the card by the time I got it ...

There has to be more to this, it seems way off on all accounts.

RE: FAKE AUTOGRAPH on UD Black James/MJ - jpleazme805 - 05-31-2012

you can smudge the autos when players use that gray ink pen (actually a marker).. I have similar pens at home. they spear.. even if they are 3 or 4 years old. they spear on just about any canvass... basketball cards being the worse, because the surface of the card is usually smooth.. stickers are worse.

I smudged a Aldridge UD BLACK card, that came right out of the pack. Think the grease from my fingers touched the end of the signature & left a fingerprint & smudge. Ended up selling it for less than $20... but the buyer was forwarned about the smudge & how it got there. he still wanted it, because it was serial /15.. can't remember exactly..

now I always wash my hands before handling cards & am extra careful with autos... I've seen a lot of sticker autos that were smudged. I think they are the easiest to smear...

it is very easy to remove an auto that was written with gray marker... but there is chance of ruining the surface of the card... if the winning buyer sends subject card into BGS for grading, it will come back as "tampered with"...

wait for the buyer to leave feedback, then you will know who he is... somebody could send him an email asking about the possible fake auto & tampered card...